Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans rewind - watching games of times past

Swans rewind - watching games of times past

Just as an aside, Fox were playing the 1996 Prelim vs Essendon the other day and, my god, you forget how good Paul Kelly was, geez he was hard at it, great in the air but his ball control when in dispute was amazing, wish we could stick him in our midfield now!!
    Last edited by liz; 18th November 2018 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    I don't often post but would be interested to see what some of the mods thoughts are from the pre season/trade period, etc, to date, particularly Liz, and our prospects for 2019? I know everyone seems to talk about Horse' game plan and our forward line but I always think it comes back to the midfield inclusive of the ruck options available.

Just as an aside, Fox were playing the 1996 Prelim vs Essendon the other day and, my god, you forget how good Paul Kelly was, geez he was hard at it, great in the air but his ball control when in dispute was amazing, wish we could stick him in our midfield now!!
    Yes, whenever I see old footage of Kelly, I'm usually surprised by just how skillful he was. Probably because my main memories of him, are of a contested ball beast; who could take on two or three opponents and invariably emerge with the ball.

Veteran Site Admin
    Those who subscribe to Fox Footy will know that this is the time of the year when they interrupt endless re-runs of "the best of Bounce" (surely a contradiction) with the odd replay of past matches, recent or ancient.

I switched over this afternoon in time to see Plugger being chaired off the ground at the end of the game in which he broke Coventry's goals record. Knowing the propensity for Fox Footy to replay the same games within a short period (as if their programmers are only allowed to retrieve a half dozen or so games from the archives at any time), I went searching and found that the game is to be shown again at about 11pm this evening, and again at about 5am tomorrow morning.

Any other RWOers with Fox might like to set their IQ, or plan to sit up tonight, and relive one of the most memorable Swans moments in recent history.

Those who subscribe to Fox Footy will know that this is the time of the year when they interrupt endless re-runs of "the best of Bounce" (surely a contradiction) with the odd replay of past matches, recent or ancient.

When fox footy first started (many years ago now) they had a show called 'Headliners' in which they covered all the big stories of times past.
    Some of the stories that I can remember were the Swans to Sydney, Peter Crimmins (Hawthorn) who battled cancer and missed one of their premierships and how the team took the cup to the hospital, and a story about Collingwood (can't remember exactly what it was) and how they changed their logo from the Magpie looking 'backward' to 'forward'.

One would think they still have all that footage (or at least channel 7 would). Would make a nice change for viewing in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I switched over this afternoon in time to see Plugger being chaired off the ground at the end of the game in which he broke Coventry's goals record. Knowing the propensity for Fox Footy to replay the same games within a short period (as if their programmers are only allowed to retrieve a half dozen or so games from the archives at any time), I went searching and found that the game is to be shown again at about 11pm this evening, and again at about 5am tomorrow morning.

Any other RWOers with Fox might like to set their IQ, or plan to sit up tonight, and relive one of the most memorable Swans moments in recent history.
    I was flicking the other day and came across Nick Davis coming to save us in 2005 as one of their "Greatest Games" categorised repeats. That fourth quarter never goes out of style. It's the benchmark of Bloods spirit.

Kelly came to the club as a skinny kid who built himself up to an absolute ball of muscle.

Always remember seeing games on tv with him having his ventolin before the game.

And I’ll never forget Lockett’s excitement on tv when Kelly won the Brownlow. For a club that had been starved of success for so long it felt like we’d won a premiership that night.

He epitomised the bloods culture before it even existed.

My favourite player back then n still now.

I always find it interesting that the 'bloods culture' refers to the current culture of the club, but uses a name that refers to a time a long long time ago.
    What was the original 'bloods culture'?
    Likely it was just the old reference to the Blood Stained angels, or Bloods.
    You'd think that when people said bloods 50 years ago, the culture they were referring to was possibly epitomised by events like the bloodbath GF etc
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Kelly came to the club as a skinny kid who built himself up to an absolute ball of muscle.

Always remember seeing games on tv with him having his ventolin before the game.

And I’ll never forget Lockett’s excitement on tv when Kelly won the Brownlow. For a club that had been starved of success for so long it felt like we’d won a premiership that night.

You are right. Kelly and a few others had the "bloods culture'", but I think it was Stewy Maxwell and others that got the whole team to sign up to it, and delivered the results.

I feel like we have regressed to only a subset of the team having that desperate "bloods culture", which is why we cant make the final step to a flag.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post

Errr, the 'Bloods Culture' was born decades earlier at Albert Park mate....it just wasn't a 'winning culture' down here......Roosy then reinvigorated the Bloods culture for a new era at the Sydney Swans, it worked and now it is now known as a 'winning culture'.....but by no means is it a 'new' concept. Agree with you generally on Kelly though. He was a relentless gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I always find it interesting that the 'bloods culture' refers to the current culture of the club, but uses a name that refers to a time a long long time ago.
    What was the original 'bloods culture'?
    Likely it was just the old reference to the Blood Stained angels, or Bloods.
    You'd think that when people said bloods 50 years ago, the culture they were referring to was possibly epitomised by events like the bloodbath GF etc
    I think what it became - whether it was the conscious intention at the time or not - was tapping into the deep roots of the club's history, before the "Swans" moniker was ever thought of. My dad, who supported the club from 1922 until his untimely demise a couple of years ago, would never call them the Swans - until they moved to Sydney. It was always the Bloods for him. It had a resonance and a kind of grit that "Swans" never had. The name Swans was always for him a media creation from the time of the Foreign Legion - as indeed it was. But he came round in the end.

Football clubs need deep traditions. Roosy knew that, Maxfield knew that, Kirky knew that. They were working from an intuitive sense of what "Bloods" meant, how it embraced the entire history of the club, and of how that history could be harnessed to realise its highest aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Errr, the 'Bloods Culture' was born decades earlier at Albert Park mate....it just wasn't a 'winning culture' down here......Roosy then reinvigorated the Bloods culture for a new era at the Sydney Swans, it worked and now it is now known as a 'winning culture'.....but by no means is it a 'new' concept. Agree with you generally on Kelly though. He was a relentless gun.

How Sydney Swans built The Bloods culture - AFL Players

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Boddo - a good read I hadn't seen before.

Then I noticed the date and thought he might have thought later on that the side had lost the plot.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast