Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NEAFL discussion thread

I know its only his first game after a long time out, but Ling showed briefly what Swans saw in him at the 17 draft. He was rated highly and after having his first outing last week as NEAFL runner for a full game, selectors seem to be letting him settle in slowly in the second half, but what a preview. We have lots to look forward to with Ling, Rowbottom, Stoddart, McInerney, Reynolds to start with

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    GOLD COAST
    Goal Kickers: J. Corbett 3, M. Rischitelli, T. Nicholls, J. Mohr, B. King, G. Horlin-Smith, S. Day, C. Nutting
    Best Players: G. Horlin-Smith, J. Corbett, B. Scheer, C. Ah Chee
    SYDNEY
    Goal Kickers: J. Rowbottom 3, J. Amartey 3, S. Wicks 3, D. Cameron 2, H. Mclean 2, J. Bell, K. McKellar, Z. Foot, P. Roseby
    Best Players: J. Bell, J. Rowbottom, J. Amartey, R. Clarke, D. Cameron, C. O''Riordan

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Liked this -

Sydney development coach Jeremy Laidler loved what he saw in Rowbottom as a forward, and he’s rapt with how the entire band of first-year Swans are faring.

“‘Rowy’ is an absolute bull around the contest. His inside stuff is really special and so is his follow-up stuff; his second and third efforts have been the most pleasing things about his game. But he’s adding a few strings to his bow now,” Laidler told Swans Media.

“We know how good he is on the inside of the midfield contest, but throwing him forward today showed he’s very clearly a natural footballer. He’s been playing really good football ever since he arrived at the club.

Seem to remember we traded up in the draft and then grabbed Rowbottom a bit earlier than he was touted to go.
    We werent after Rowbottom though. We were after the guy that Brisbane took. His name escapes me. That said, Rowbottom was definately on our radar.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    We werent after Rowbottom though. We were after the guy that Brisbane took. His name escapes me. That said, Rowbottom was definately on our radar.
    Brisbane took Ely Smith at pick 21, while Richmond took Collier-Dawkins at #20. Those 2 might have been on our radar, but both were expected to go even earlier than they did. I don't think Smith would have been a realistic target holding pick 25, but maybe we would have taken him, if he were available. I think Rowbottom was the realistic target, the others may have been on our wish list. In any case, it looks like we made a good choice.

I thought we had 6 players in the team today that could well be in the 2020 senior side: Cameron, COR, Ling, Stoddart, Melican and Rowbottom. We had several others that looked reasonable prospects at this early stage of the season.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Brisbane took Ely Smith at pick 21, while Richmond took Collier-Dawkins at #20. Those 2 might have been on our radar, but both were expected to go even earlier than they did. I don't think Smith would have been a realistic target holding pick 25, but maybe we would have taken him, if he were available. I think Rowbottom was the realistic target, the others may have been on our wish list. In any case, it looks like we made a good choice.

I thought we had 6 players in the team today that could well be in the 2020 senior side: Cameron, COR, Ling, Stoddart, Melican and Rowbottom. We had several others that looked reasonable prospects at this early stage of the season.
    Agree about all except Cameron. Sinclair has obvious limitations and Cameron is stronger, but not sure he is an upgrade unless we play both of them. Hawthorn had two rucks today for example. Cameron looks like he lacks agility at senior level.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree about all except Cameron. Sinclair has obvious limitations and Cameron is stronger, but not sure he is an upgrade unless we play both of them. Hawthorn had two rucks today for example. Cameron looks like he lacks agility at senior level.
    Hawthorn has had two rucks all season

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Hawthorn has had two rucks all season

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    They could have used another running player today. Two big lumberers with zero possessions between them in last quarter.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I suspect SSB is thinking of Jez McLennan (McLellan?) wo was drafted by Gold Coast, not Brisbane. Gold Coast traded up to a spot a couple of places above our pick after we pulled off the draft pick swap with West Coast. Gold Coast seemed convinced that Sydney had their eye on him (going by their post-draft comments). Whether he was the Swans' prime target at that pick only Beatson and his team know.

Regardless I'm very glad we chose Rowbottom instead. He fills a much greater need on our list (especially after we chose a couple of players in the Jez mould later in the draft). McLennan played for Gold Coast in today's NEAFL game and, based on the conclusive evidence of a single game, did nothing to show he'll be better than Rowbottom.

It was reported in the media about the McLennan interest. I also posted at the time that I heard from a Brisbane supporting friend that we were interested in Ely Smith with that pick but I don’t know how trustworthy his source is.

McLennan was linked to us, as a few have mentioned, but it makes more sense that we were after an inside mid, especially one who can break from the contest, and Rowbottom fits the bill perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Check out Ling's highlights reel from when he was drafted. Some exquisite skills and pace on display.

- - - Updated - - -

Matthew Ling's highlight reel - sydneyswans.com.au
    I know he has only played limited football at the Swans but from the games I have seen Ling hasn't shown that elite speed and the taking on of players that he does on that impressive highlights video... Yet.

But when he does I reckon it won't be long until he is straight into our senior side as that is just what we need!

Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

SYDNEY
    B: 53. K McKellar 43. L Melican 33. R Stoddart
    HB: 19. M Ling 22. N Blakey 31. H Reynolds
    C: 32. J Bell 38. C O’Riordan 16. Z. Foot
    HF: 27. J McInerney 47. T Pink 45. S Wicks
    F: 46. J Amartey 60. H McLean 49. C Kilpatrick
    R: 17. D Cameron 1. J Rose 42. R Fox
    Int: 51. R Barkley 59. S Gaden 52. J Pawle 50. K Veerhuis
    Emg: 57. N Brewer 58. H Ellem 55. K McGrath 54. L Swaney

In: 59. S Gaden 27. J McInerney 22. N. Blakey
    Out: 8. J Rowbottom (AFL) 4. Ryan Clarke (AFL) 55. Z Youlten (omitted) 58. P Roseby (omitted)
    New: 59. S Gaden

REDLAND
    B: 11. S Mills 41. A Williams 4. P Yagmoor
    HB: 7. M McGannon 9. M Stallard 12. S Miller
    C: 35. B Bailey 16. S Cunnington 44. T Salter
    HF: 13. C Cameron 8. M Hammelmann 5. S Cormick
    F: 24. J Kennealy 21. L O’Sullivan 18. D Steven
    R: 19. C Malone 10. H Bertoli-Simmonds 14. J Rolls
    Int: 2. P Carse 30. C Franks 20. S Rogers 29. K Walsh 26. W Johnson*
    Emg: 40. L Dwyer 45. D Fleming 33. J Huddy

In: 26. W Johnson
    Out: 32. R Dadds (injured)