Page 17 of 90 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NEAFL discussion thread

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    @swansreserves 12.15 (87) @RedlandFC 12.8 (80)

Goals: Blakey 2 Ellem 2 Rose Bell Pawle Pink Wicks McKellar O'Riordan Stoddart

2 late goals by O'Riordan and Ellem won it.
    Blakey looked good as a midfielder in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    COR having a bit of a shocker too. Couldn't hit a target to save himself, almost as if he thinks he's playing for Redlands.
    His disposal in the third quarter, suggested that he may of had a Guinness or two at half time. But he did redeem himself in the final term, especially with the go ahead goal.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In the NEAFL, I think there's probably a point, where if you have too many teenagers in the side, then it becomes very difficult to win. Today might be one of those games. Though if we can get more of the ball to Stoddart, Ling and Bell, then we are still in with a chance.
    Probably, though I thought the academy players were all good to very good today. They all look comfortable out there, and aren't afraid of going after the ball, or getting in the way of a more credentialed team mate. Brewer, in particular, caught my eye today (and he was good for the academy team last weekend). He's still slight but he's got good pace and work rate. That smother to stop a Redlands shot at goal in the first half was outstanding, given how far he ran to get there.

Most of the listed players showed something, without any of them really dominating. I think I'd have Amartey as the best, purely for the sheer amount of work he did. He was a bit scratchy in his first couple of games for the season but the last two weeks have shown that he's coming along very nicely indeed. I liked the zip and energy of Foot through the middle (and that of fellow small-bloke Kilpatrick too). COR was very good in the first half, commanding the backline. He kept finding the ball in the second half but some of those kicks were dreadful. He's usually pretty solid by foot so maybe we just put it down to a bad day. At least he papered over some of the kicking cracks with the late goal to regain the lead. Blakey had some moments that showed he is a class above anyone else out there today, but he also had some scratchy moments. His two shots at goal in the first half were uncharacteristically poor, given where he was kicking from.

Bell continued on his upward trajectory in terms of staying involved throughout the game and I love the way he moves. As another poster has commented, it would be great if he could start aiming for targets rather than just hoofing the ball long. I reckon he has the ability.

I haven't paid much attention previously to Reynolds but I thought his first half was terrific. He wasn't as prominent in the second. He's another defender we have developing who has some real pace, and who isn't afraid to use it.

Ling, in particular, and to a lesser extent Stoddart, were a bit quieter than last week. But some of the most promising build-ups happened when Stoddart was able to break into space.

Overall, it was an entertaining game. Redland are a decently skilled NEAFL team - they certainly showed the Swans up for kicking skills, both in the forward line and around the ground. In the first 10 minutes it looked like it might be a walk in the park to the Swans, so I'm glad they were made to fight very hard for the win.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Great win for the kids!
    And how good is it to watch a game with no commentary, just crowd noises! Nice to hear the Swannies supporters getting behind the team!
    Made heaps of errors and were against a lot of bigger bodies but never gave up. Sign of spirit in the club at least.

Yes, a victory, but not much to celebrate. Some really poor kicking, even from some of our better kicks.

COR was the only one who looked an AFL player, yet, as has been noted, he made his fair share of errors as well.

Blakey showed his class at times, but didn't have a particularly strong game.

Melican, again, as noted earlier, is way off his best. I'd put Pink ahead of him atm. It's a worry.

Reynolds is no chance of making it past this year. I have to disagree with both Liz and Ugg, who have made some favourable comments about him.

Kyle McKellar is one tough kid. He might have a chance.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 20th April 2019 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes, a victory, but not much to celebrate. Some really poor kicking, even from some of our better kicks.

COR was the only one who looked an AFL player, yet, as has been noted, he made his fair share of errors as well.

Melican, again, as noted earlier, is way off his best. I'd put Pink ahead of him atm. It's a worry.

Reynolds is no chance of making it past this year.

It's, hard for first year players and toppies in their first few games. For a start if we are playing any non-aligned side like Redland it is, a, case of boys v men. Very difficult for these kids in their first year. This can make the delivery a bit scrappy as they realise how hard real men hit. If the scrappy disposal continues into the mid season then we have a problem.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Reynolds is no chance of making it past this year. I have to disagree with both Liz and Ugg, who have made some favourable comments about him.

Ling looks very quick and creative with the ball. Same with Stoddart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Great win for the kids!
    And how good is it to watch a game with no commentary, just crowd noises! Nice to hear the Swannies supporters getting behind the team!
    Yes, a good spirited win in the end. Plenty of helpful contributions from the academy kids. Brewer produced a few commendable efforts; especially a score saving smother. Kyle McKellar was pretty consistent. And having watched Hamish Ellem a bit in the NAB League, I'm forming the opinion, that he's at his most dangerous when he roves his own spilled mark. Opponents just don't seem to expect him to both get to the ball and get rid of it so quickly.
    Of the listed players, I thought that Wicks battled really well as a midfielder, while Foot spent more time in there than usual and also did pretty well. Though it probably emphasises that we are a bit lacking for inside mids, as both of them only weigh 73 kilos. James Bell continued his good form, while Stoddart and Ling looked classy when they had it. Reynolds also showed some poised coming out of defense.
    All up, a good effort to prevail in an often grinding game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    His disposal in the third quarter, suggested that he may of had a Guinness or two at half time. But he did redeem himself in the final term, especially with the go ahead goal.
    Racial profiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Ling looks very quick and creative with the ball. Same with Stoddart.
    Though I don't recall seeing Ling in the final quarter? I hope it was planned limited game time, not an injury. Also, as well as his obvious skill set, he doesn't mind throwing his weight around, even though he doesn't have much weight to throw around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Racial profiling!
    Should I have said a stubby or two of Coopers?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sydney
    Goal Kickers: N. Blakey 2, H. Ellem 2, J. Bell, J. Rose, K. McKellar, C. O''Riordan, J. Pawle, T. Pink, L. Swaney, S. Wicks

Best Players: N. Blakey, J. Bell, C. O''Riordan, L. Melican, S. Wicks, N. Brewer

Redland
    Goal Kickers: B. Bailey 3, W. Johnson 2, M. Hammelmann 2, D. Steven 2, K. Walsh, J. Rolls, C. Cameron

Best Players: C. Malone, J. Rolls, M. Stallard, P. Yagmoor, M. McGannon, A. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Melican copping an absolute lesson from Hamellman. At least a metre behind him in every contest and just gave a 50 away on him. Looks very down on pace, nowhere near ready for AFL return.
    I wonder what is wrong with him. He was fantastic last year. He cant be injured otherwise he wouldn't be playing. I wonder if it's a confidence or match-fitness issue.