Page 57 of 90 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NEAFL discussion thread

Veterans List
    Some of these guys are auditioning for a senior spot next week, now that finals are gone, time to try a few out.

I thought that our defence was good that quarter, led by Stoddart and McKellar. Only two goals to Southport; one of them a mystifying fifty. Amartey with two goals; one of them a running effort from the fifty, which just beat the siren.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Full time
    @swansreserves 14.12 (96) @SouthportSharks 7.7 (49)

Goals: McLean 3 Amartey 2 Menzel 2 Foot Thorne Barling Fox McVeigh Stoddart Wicks

Sharks: Ford 2 Hall Mutu Mentha Lyons Bowie

Veterans List
    I'm thinking Amartey and Stoddart into the one's next week.....but then we are playing Freo and a seven foot two ruckman. Definitely Stoddart in.....keeps delivering week in, week out.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Goal Kickers: H. Mclean 3, J. Amartey 2, D. Menzel 2, S. Thorne, J. Barling, R. Stoddart, Z. Foot, J. McVeigh, R. Fox, S. Wicks
    Best Players: R. Stoddart, R. Clarke, D. Menzel, H. Mclean, R. Fox, J. Amartey

Veterans List
    I can't help think that Clarke has been out of the seniors because of the night club issue. He played well enough to keep his spot. Has to be ahead of Jack and Ronke and would have been useful as a tagger against Carlton. Finally, Stoddart must get a run.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I can't help think that Clarke has been out of the seniors because of the night club issue. He played well enough to keep his spot. Has to be ahead of Jack and Ronke and would have been useful as a tagger against Carlton. Finally, Stoddart must get a run.
    Must admit- does seem a bit strange

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Actually makes as much sense as any other explanation.

I always thought the official story wasn’t credible.

Hope he’s not given the full #TaliaExcommunication

Well, after watching our season peter out against Carlton, it was nice to see our reserves put in their best performance for a while: though I suspect that Southport were a bit understrength. Pretty well everyone of our players were good and most of those pushing for promotion probably helped their cases. Stoddart had another very good game, in a defence that got better as the game went on. His game was nicely topped off by a late goal, from about 70 metres out. Of course, he was probably aiming for the marking targets at the top of the square, but hey, they missed it and he gets to brag about his 70 metre effort. Considering the underwhelming performance of some of our forwards against Carlton, Menzel probably did enough for a recall: 2 goals and 22 possessions, ranging much further up the ground than last week. Clarke was probably best on ground overall, and possibly Fox was best in the second half? McVeigh did enough to prove his fitness, playing most of the game and looking pretty sharp. Amartey did well. He spent more time in the ruck than usual, took a few strong marks and kicked a couple of goals. Though he was possibly starting to tire in the final quarter? Thurlow and Rose were handy, without really kicking the door down.

Of those not pushing for promotion, McLean continued his gradual improvement. He was the leading goalkicker with 3.3 and probably should have had another, but the umpire didn't pay a mark, that he seemed to grab on the second attempt, about ten metres out and straight in front. Considering that he didn't spend the preseason with us and then spent much of the first half of the season injured, he may now be getting close to earning a contract for next year. Wicks was also good up forward, although he spent a fair bit of time in midfield. At the other end of the ground, I thought that all of our defence performed really well in the second half. Along with the previously mentioned Stoddart, young McKellar was very good. As the year has progressed, he has looked stronger, fitter and increasingly at home at NEAFL level: so I guess he must be pushing for a future rookie listing. Also looking comfortable at NEAFL level was Sam Thorne. He probably helped his chances of being taken late in the draft or as a rookie.

Pretty well everyone else did good stuff. An allround pleasing performance, that got better as the game went on.

Veterans List
    Best Players looks to be lining up at least three changes next week, Clarke continues to rack up big numbers and proved a very good tagger in the seniors, could have done with him today. Stoddart, get them in while they're hot, not like they botched late 2017 with Dawson. Menzel, well he has to give us more than Ronke or KJ.

Still want anyone to ruck rather than Aliir who is needed down back.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Best Players looks to be lining up at least three changes next week, Clarke continues to rack up big numbers and proved a very good tagger in the seniors, could have done with him today. Stoddart, get them in while they're hot, not like they botched late 2017 with Dawson. Menzel, well he has to give us more than Ronke or KJ.

Still want anyone to ruck rather than Aliir who is needed down back.
    Yes, their all pushing for selection, as well as a couple of others. Though it's a bit of a challenge where to fit them. With Menzel, I think him and Hayward are similar players, and since Hayward now officially has the yips, then Menzel could easily come in for him. Then, as it's likely that Ronke and Jack may be demoted, then there's a couple of spots to be filled. Since McVeigh was mainly playing forward, then he might come in for one of them. Which leaves Stoddart. As the person that has done the most to command selection, then he should be promoted. One possibility is that Ronke goes out, Cunningham goes forward and Stoddart slots in down back. After that, I'm not sure who goes out, if we want to fit in Clarke or Amartey?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Actually makes as much sense as any other explanation.

I always thought the official story wasn’t credible.

Hope he’s not given the full #TaliaExcommunication
    They said he left before the fracas. Maybe he left early because someone told him to go and he was in ordinary condition. If he has got the Talia treatment there is only one person to blame.