Page 85 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,009 to 1,020 of 1077

Thread: 2019 NEAFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    it was actually McKellar who managed to crunch the Uni player while he was kicking. One the many useful contributions that he's made this season. The longer the season has gone, the more comfortable he has looked at the level. Whether being useful at NEAFL level, is enough to earn a place on the rookie list, I'm not really sure?
    Week after week McKellar seems to put in a solid performance. He already has an AFL physique. I've pushed him the top of the list for our academy draftee this year. I had Thorne in the lead, and I think his skills are quite good and I like his goal sense, but I started to worry about drafting another smaller mid/forward, especially knowing that we have 2 smallish ones in Gulden and Campbell coming next year. I worry a bit that Thorne won't get opportunities once those guys come on the list. Maybe it's the wrong way to look at this.

Barling and Martin are the others who have impressed at times.

Zac Foot is has looked more solid as the season has progressed, and I would give him a better then 50-50 chance of making the AFL grade. Should give Ronke a run for his money on the last forward spot (if there even is one for a small forward after Papley and Hayward).

Any thoughts?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Week after week McKellar seems to put in a solid performance. He already has an AFL physique. I've pushed him the top of the list for our academy draftee this year. I had Thorne in the lead, and I think his skills are quite good and I like his goal sense, but I started to worry about drafting another smaller mid/forward, especially knowing that we have 2 smallish ones in Gulden and Campbell coming next year. I worry a bit that Thorne won't get opportunities once those guys come on the list. Maybe it's the wrong way to look at this.

Zac Foot is has looked more solid as the season has progressed, and I would give him a better then 50-50 chance of making the AFL grade. Should give Ronke a run for his money on the last forward spot (if there even is one for a small forward after Papley and Hayward).

Any thoughts?
    From what I have seen, Foot seems to have developed some confidence in front of goals at the season has progressed. He hits the ball at speed and can kick goals from various distances and angles. He might develop more poise than Ronke, although Ronke's final game of the season, having strung a few together, was very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Any thoughts?
    Without checking, I think McKellar is an overage academy member. That is, he was eligible for the draft last year, but was invited to stay on, despite not being picked up. I think Kilpatrick is the same. I assume that this was because they were close to a rookie spot last year? Though I'm not sure if being close last year, helps their chances this year? If McKellar gets an upgrade, I would be happy; as it would be a reward for the improvement that he's made this year. That being said, I can't really see him dominating at AFL level; so do you get rid of someone already on the list, for someone who might only alternate between AFL and the NEAFL?

Of the other academy guys, I agree that Thorne is probably the most likely. The NAB League games that he played, showed that he's a tireless worker, a relentless tackler and a good leader. I also think that we need a few more inside mids.

I'd also add Hamish Ellem and Luke Parks. Ellem is surprisingly agile for his physique and has a fair few tricks: such as roving his own contest and snapping truly. In regards to Parks, in one of the Allies games, I thought he was the best defender on the field. He also seems to have a bit of a growth spurt, which suggests that he could become a KPD, rather than a flanker.

Veterans List
    On Toby Pink; he looked too short for a key position player. He looks to have come on well and may force his way in as a half back flanker.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    On Toby Pink; he looked too short for a key position player. He looks to have come on well and may force his way in as a half back flanker.
    At 195cm, Pink is taller than Alex Rance (and Melican and Rampe). I didn't think he played small either; he's got a decent leap.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Yep the 10 inside 50s by Justin McInerney was very good on the weekend

Agree he can float in and out a little of games this year but so to Bell and Foot and others more on the outside

This season Justin has been building minutes as inside mid for parts of games - which is a serious challenge for an 18 yr old who predominantly has played HBF and or wing and built like an outside mid

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Yep the 10 inside 50s by Justin McInerney was very good on the weekend

Agree he can float in and out a little of games this year but so to Bell and Foot and others more on the outside

This season Justin has been building minutes as inside mid for parts of games - which is a serious challenge for an 18 yr old who predominantly has played HBF and or wing and built like an outside mid
    At 18, his upside is enormous. Serious player in the making.

Wow the frees confirm the umpires sucked. It seemed like if a swans player was tackled, bang holding the ball. When the uni player was tackled, throw up or in the back. I watched one passage of play where three uni players were tackled in a row. On each occasion they just chucked the ball away with no penalty. Likewise the uni players would get paid marks barely taken, yet the opposite for the swans. I saw that the swans players were starting to get the s&*ts with the umpires after a while. It looked at one point like Rose was about to explode!

I don't usually criticize the umpires as they are doing their best, however I would give them an F for their performance.

Whilst uni and the swans are in some ways siblings in the neafl, both with players born of the academy, there is no doubt a very fierce rivalry with many uni players pissed off that they did not get drafted.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    At 195cm, Pink is taller than Alex Rance (and Melican and Rampe). I didn't think he played small either; he's got a decent leap.
    Very deceptive. I would hang on to him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Wow the frees confirm the umpires sucked. It seemed like if a swans player was tackled, bang holding the ball. When the uni player was tackled, throw up or in the back. I watched one passage of play where three uni players were tackled in a row. On each occasion they just chucked the ball away with no penalty. Likewise the uni players would get paid marks barely taken, yet the opposite for the swans. I saw that the swans players were starting to get the s&*ts with the umpires after a while. It looked at one point like Rose was about to explode!

I don't usually criticize the umpires as they are doing their best, however I would give them an F for their performance.

Whilst uni and the swans are in some ways siblings in the neafl, both with players born of the academy, there is no doubt a very fierce rivalry with many uni players pissed off that they did not get drafted.
    We must be just a dirty club to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post

To be honest, I think there are consistent issues with umpiring at NEAFL level - its part and parcel of the territory. Mainly seems to really be obvious in AFL-Affiliated vs non-afl affiliated club matches, but in particular during finals. I'm sure a lot of it is subconcious and without purpose, but I can recall many a game where we have been bent over (or indeed other AFL-Affiliated teams in other matches vs non-AFL affiliated teams) by some pretty substandard umpiring.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    At 18, his upside is enormous. Serious player in the making.
    I've liked the progress he has made this season. He was immense in that last quarter and stood up when we needed him to. I agree that he is potentially a very good player in the making.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."