I thought I'd use the release of the 2019 NEAFL fixture as a reason to kick off a NEAFL discussion thread for the upcoming season.

NEAFL: Swans welcome 2019 fixture - sydneyswans.com.au

The thing that is clearly missing from this fixture is games at the SCG - which for fans is probably the only thing that we really care about with the fixture. How many times will we get to see the reserves play as a curtain raiser before a senior game. I presume all (or most) of the games where the venue is marked as "TBA" are those where the NEAFL game is potentially a curtain raiser but that they are still in negotiation with the SCG as to whether it can host these games. It will be irritating in the extreme if the higher usage of the ground (and hence potential for wear on the surface) during 2019 (and beyond) means we won't get to see the NEAFL team on the SCG at all, or as much.

The redevelopment of the Bus Loop Oval site (that is currently happening) might mean that games are played there if the SCG is not prepared to host them. I guess we'll have to wait and see. While that's a little better than having to trek out to Olympic Park or BISP to see the team play (especially if a senior game is on later than afternoon), it's not nearly as much fun watching a game on Bus Loop Oval as it is in the SCG, given there's no elevated position from which you can watch. I somehow doubt the redevelopment will include the addition of even a basic stand.