Page 30 of 90 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NEAFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I read something a week ago, or maybe two, that indicated he has a knee injury, estimated to be a six weeker. Whether that's from when he sustained he injury or from time of writing, I don't know. I suspect I'd have read it on either the AFL or Swans' site.
    Ta: though it seems sort of obligatory these days, that we have somebody who's not playing, but not on the injury list. If I remember rightly, Pink and Ronke have filled that role.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Looking at the replay again to see if I can spot what happened to Cameron. The last time I saw him was around the 21:30min mark of Q1 when Amartey marked inside 50, and Cameron was in the foreground.

Cameron must have went off after Amartey kicked the goal as you can see Amartey asking the bench whether he was to go into the ruck for the next centre bounce. I don't think we see Cameron again after this. There was nothing in the prior 3-4 minutes to indicate any obvious injury to Cameron.
    Which of is something of a comment on the observational skills, of the commentary pairing, that we often get doing NEAFL games. I made a mental note, of when it occurred to them that Cameron was missing. It was around four or five minutes into the final quarter. I think that they also identified at least three toppies as Kilpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Ok Liz seeing as you asked, Robbie Fox and Jackson Thurlow. And not because either of those two did anything wrong, but if we are going to become a good side again in the future, these three have the right tools that seem to fit in the modern game.

Do you not want to see these three improve and get into the senior side by the end of this year in a team that clearly needs to build towards the future???

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Im not so sure on Thurlow going out. I found it interesting that the commentators on Friday night alluded to the fact that he actually has very good reputation of disposing of the ball and that this would come with confidence and game time. It would be unusual for someone to lose that skill but it wouldnt be unusual for it to be a little rusty after limited game time.

The guys you refer to are in my view very raw and we dont want a team made up completely of players like this.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Ok Liz seeing as you asked, Robbie Fox and Jackson Thurlow. And not because either of those two did anything wrong, but if we are going to become a good side again in the future, these three have the right tools that seem to fit in the modern game.

Do you not want to see these three improve and get into the senior side by the end of this year in a team that clearly needs to build towards the future???

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do I not want to see these three improve? Of course I do. McInerney, in particular, has impressed me hugely at NEAFL level with his combination of pace, skill, competitiveness and willingness to take the game on.

Do I think this has to happen by the end of this season? No, not particularly. None of them is particularly developed physically, and they all have plenty to learn about the game. I don't think the rest of this year (and even next) spent predominantly in the NEAFL team will indicate a failure in their development.

Also, they are also similar players in the sense that the roles they are likely to play in the senior team are pretty similar. They'd each bring something slightly different, but nonetheless, they'd essentially play on the outside, at least at this stage in their careers. Hoping one of the three might see extended time in the senior team is one thing. Expecting all three to? I don't think so.

Thurlow, especially, plays a quite different role. He's one who I hope will give the coaches confidence to release Mills further forward, particularly if he continues to settle and improve as he has over the last couple of matches. Fox and Jack are playing less defined, "utility" roles, but they still have the physical attributes to provide something more "inside" than any of the three younger players are currently capable of.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

The upcoming NEAFL game at Metricon against the Suns now starting at 11am instead of 11:30am

Gold Coast SUNS (7th) v Sydney Swans (3rd) at Metricon Stadium, 11am
    Click here for live stream

GOLD COAST
    B: 13. C Ah Chee 21. J Leslie 45. J Dawson
    HB: 17. C Ellis 46. C Graham 43. J McLennan
    C: 42. C Nutting 35. M Rischitelli 36. J Schoenfeld
    HF: 47. S Fletcher 12. S Day 33. G Horlin-Smith
    F: 56. R Gilmore 32. B Crossley 57. J Mentha
    R: 22. T Nicholls 40. J Heron 7. W Brodie
    Int: 53. R Buckland 55. C Joyce 54. L McDonald 49. M Selsby 50. E Semaan
    Emg: 51. B Deslandes

In: 33. George Horlin-Smith 13. C Ah Chee 47. S Fletcher 32. B Crossley 55. C Joyce 49. M Selsby 50. E Semaan 53. R Buckland 57. J Mentha
    Out: 29. Chris Burgess (AFL) 34. Ben King (AFL) 38. Jesse Joyce (AFL) 47. Hewago Paul Oea (Allies) 49. Alex Davies (Allies) 53. Connor Budarick (Allies) 55. Josh Gore (Allies) 48. Fitzroy Greenwool (unavailable)
    New: 49. M Selsby

SYDNEY
    B: 52. J Pawle 47. T Pink 33. R Stoddart
    HB: 51. R Barkley 55. H Maguire 53. K McKellar
    C: 32. J Bell 49. C Kilpatrick 25. B Ronke
    HF: 16. Z Foot 45. S Wicks 8. J Rowbottom
    F: 19. M Ling 46. J Amartey 2. D Menzel
    R: 17. D Cameron 27. J McInerney 1. J Rose
    Int: 56. N Brewer 48. K Martin 54. L Swaney 57. T Tyson 59. R van Huisstede
    Emg: N/A.

In: 48. K Martin 57. T Tyson 59. R van Huisstede 55. H Maguire
    Out: 4. R Clarke (AFL) 31. H Reynolds (injured) 55. S Gaden (Academy)
    New: 48. K Martin

Thanks Ugg. Hope Reynolds injury isn't related to the knee he had operated on before we drafted him.

ugg, I miss your former match previews. Even if you no longer have time to collate and post all the stats and recent history, I'd be glad for just a paragraph of your thoughts and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    ugg, I miss your former match previews. Even if you no longer have time to collate and post all the stats and recent history, I'd be glad for just a paragraph of your thoughts and comments.
    I miss them as well!

I guess my comment would be as follows:

The swans will have a solid challenge, especially if some of the players listed as emergencies for the seniors stay in sydney tonight. Having said that it does look like there are a whole bunch of toppies for gold coast who may be first gamers. The swans toppies on the other hand are experienced campaigners who fit well in to the swans neafl side. In my view the game will be won or lost around how the toppies perform. If the swans listed players can inspire and encourage the toppies through their play and leadership I actually think the swans can win this one. As always it is the senior players in a team who must guide the least experienced.

Regular in the Side
    I agree that the toppies are the weak link in both sides and it is through the weakest link that games are often lost. Looking at the numbers I see GC having seven toppies and the Swans ten so even if ours are a little more experienced I think we are going to find it tough to win on their home ground.