Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans Official Website

Yes they seem to be scrambling to update the website. But they’ve forgotten that the Swans app also lists the players. And the delisted players are still in the app list but the new players are not.

And to add to the sense that this is managed in a shambolic way, Toby Pink and Colin O’Riordan DO have (now out-of-date) bios in the app.

Whoever writes the bios also needs a lesson in writing material which is not time specific.

For example Jackson Thurlow’s bio reads ‘Thurlow joined the Swans during the recent trade period in exchange for pick 70 with the Geelong Cats’.

That makes sense to the reader right now (just, the trade period already seems long ago). But in 6 months time ‘the recent trade period’ has no meaning. It should be written stating the specific year of the trade period so it is clear when read now and also when read much later.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And to add to the sense that this is managed in a shambolic way, Toby Pink and Colin O’Riordan DO have (now out-of-date) bios in the app.
    Have they recently appeared? Or always been there. Still nothing in the main website. (I've never used the app). That, combined with your observation about the app still not reflecting the players who have left or joined during the trade period suggests that whoever manages the web content doesn't have a clue how to synchronise between the two versions (and/or doesn't give a @@@@). And either way, it doesn't reflect well how much of a @@@@ the club cares about its web content and delivery.

When I press "submit" I'll find out if the swear filter has edited out a two uses of a certain word in my paragraph (no swear filter evasion applied here) or whether it's determined that it's an OK word to use in polite company.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Have they recently appeared? Or always been there. Still nothing in the main website. (I've never used the app). That, combined with your observation about the app still not reflecting the players who have left or joined during the trade period suggests that whoever manages the web content doesn't have a clue how to synchronise between the two versions (and/or doesn't give a @@@@). And either way, it doesn't reflect well how much of a @@@@ the club cares about its web content and delivery.

When I press "submit" I'll find out if the swear filter has edited out a two uses of a certain word in my paragraph (no swear filter evasion applied here) or whether it's determined that it's an OK word to use in polite company.
    I can’t recall ever trying to read the bios before but they must have been written or updated before the beginning of last season. See wording below:

Toby Pink

‘The 19-year-old will be looking to take his game to a new level in season 2018 after showing promise in his first season with the Swans last year. Sydney picked up Pink in the 2017 Rookie Draft and he bagged 24 goals in 20 NEAFL games last season as the Swans charged to the grand final. The defensive pressure he displays in the forward line is an asset of his game but the Swans are looking to develop Pink into a more versatile player. He sometimes played as a backman in 2017 and held his own against a number of key forwards.

Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 54’

Colin O’Riordan

‘The Irishman and former Gaelic footballer will be pushing for his senior debut in 2018 after turning in two impressive seasons in the NEAFL. He hadn’t played AFL before he signed with the Swans at the end of 2015 but has since gone from strength-to-strength.

Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft international selection (Sydney) No. 69.’

And now I’m musing about which particular four-letter swear word/s you used!

Veteran Site Admin
    Sounds like the Pink and COR profiles are the same vintage as all the other player profiles that are up on the website. Since they can't even update the player page properly I very much doubt anyone will have gotten around to updating any of the profiles for the upcoming season.

And the word wasn't one of the especially naughty (or crude) ones. One that, had the swear filter not blanked it out, I wouldn't have been too embarrassed to be in my post, though nor am I disappointed it's been censored out.

Well, the good news is, we now have the current players on the app. The various pieces of bad news are: most of the bios, still seem to be written prior to the 2018 season; the players taken in the latest draft don't have pictures; some of them don't have bios, and for rookies, it states that they're rookie elevations, instead of being taken in the rookie draft.

I'm not sure why the club can't get this right? Did this year's work experience kid turn out to be a dud?

It must be a current work in progress. I looked at app very recently (yesterday?) and the old players were still there. So the changes are very recent and presumably not finished. We should probably give them a break for a short while.

Although might be a good idea if they took Rhyce Shaw off the coaches list on the website ...... .

Veteran Site Admin
    Does anyone get something other than a blank grey screen when they try to play the various highlights videos that the club has up on the website? The advertisement plays for me (usually those ultra-irritating Dexus ads), and then nothing.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone get something other than a blank grey screen when they try to play the various highlights videos that the club has up on the website? The advertisement plays for me (usually those ultra-irritating Dexus ads), and then nothing.
    They don't work for me at all.

Do you mean ‘the best of’ videos? They work just fine for me (except for some annoying background music).

Veteran Site Admin
    Yes, them. What browser are you using? I'm using Microsoft Edge, which is hardly an obscure one.

It's not the first time I've had problems with playing videos from the site. None of the backstage interviews at the B&F dinner worked for me either. Yet it's not a consistent problem either. For example, the pre-season training videos, and the Andrew Ireland interview work fine.

Swans Official Website

I’m viewing on iPad with default browser Safari. Just tried Chrome, works fine there as well. Also working for me in Firefox.

Ps: great videos! Roll on 2019!
    Last edited by Meg; 31st December 2018 at 12:46 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast