Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 Greatest Swans Marks!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Gee I miss Goodesy. I hate the way he left the game.
    It's a stain that can never be removed now.....so unfortunate.....so unnecessary.....and so undeserved.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 5th December 2018 at 08:22 PM.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Actually watched this a couple of days ago.....it is great! Yes, Woz (not Wiz, who ever called him Wiz?! Maybe 'The Wiz' as in Wizard) took some beauty's.....
    Wiz was his nickname as in "wizzer". Gerard Healy still refers to him as the wiz

Had the pleasure of witnessing some of these marks live, going back to Teaser's hanger over Billy Picken and Max James classic against Hawthorn, both in 1978 I think?

Capper's mark over Langford at VFL Park is the most freakish I've ever seen live. Lucky that it happened right in front of me and had same view as that rear camera shot. Even the Hawthorn supporters around me STOOD and CLAPPED after he'd taken it (hard to believe now I know!!!!). Unfortunately it was the only highlight as we got smashed that day by 99 pts!!! It was the 1987 QF and Capper kicked his 100th Goal for the season in that game, with little fanfare such was the demolition. He kicked 4 of the team's 8 goals that day.

I remember when John Roberts took that screamer against St Kilda (1980), later reading that both Bob Pratt and Laurie Nash were in the wooden stand to witness it. Bob gave his nod of approval to see a full foward in red & white and wearing No.10, soar in the air just like he did almost 50 years earlier.

Kicking magic

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Wiz was his nickname as in "wizzer". Gerard Healy still refers to him as the wiz
    While the mark of Leo Barry is the greatest of all time, it was terrific to see Kelly, Goodes and Capper in their marking prime. It also served as a reminder of how good Sam Reid can/could be. Also, terrific to see Andrew Dunkley in the mix - height challenged and an awkward kick but a great competitor.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

I think Capper is one of the most underrated ex-players around.
    He's always made a joke of himself and played the fool a bit, and I think he really enjoys his life.
    This may have overshadowed just how well he could play. I watch a highlight reel and am reminded at how good he was.
    Wish he'd managed to finish at the Swans.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I think Capper is one of the most underrated ex-players around.
    He's always made a joke of himself and played the fool a bit, and I think he really enjoys his life.
    This may have overshadowed just how well he could play. I watch a highlight reel and am reminded at how good he was.
    Wish he'd managed to finish at the Swans.
    He did albeit not on a Capper-esque high

Yeah, was getting at one club player.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the Rookie List
    Not a mark, but something beautiful to watch...Mark Bayes kicking action 2 minutes into the video.

Bayes left foot also features in this sport blog: The Joy of Six: Australia's left-footed geniuses | Sport | The Guardian

We’ve had heaps of great left footers, but memory not serving me well. However, I do recall Darren Kappler’s great left foot, Stew Maxfield was another Leon Higgins was OK. None get close to Bayes.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    We’ve had heaps of great left footers, but memory not serving me well. However, I do recall Darren Kappler’s great left foot, Stew Maxfield was another Leon Higgins was OK. None get close to Bayes.
    Mark Browning was a beautiful left foot kick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Malcheski
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Mark Bayes was the best leftie I've seen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast