Page 101 of 147 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,212 of 1757

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Read an interesting article years ago by Chris Judd who spoke about how he overtrained early in his career. Judd would go to a local park on his days off and smash out 400m sprints. He said this practice physically inhibited him in his later career.

In the same article, Judd mentioned that he would see Hanners doing the same thing at a local park in the off-seasonsin Melbourne.

Judd believes that Hanners late career injuries like his own can be attributed to the sheer volume of work he put in as a younger player seeking to establish himself.

People will blame Easton Wood for Hanners injuries but maybe his body was going to give out after the 2016 season.

Anyone whose followed soccer will notice that the same thing happened to Craig Johnston and Harry Kewell. They worked so hard to make their way in the British game that by 25 their bodies were failing them. Harry Kewell peaked in his early 20s whilst many soccer players peak between 27 and 30.

Playing professional sport is seriously hard on the body and the physical will needed to make the grade can impact many players later careers.
    Good post, BS. Hanners copped a lot of hits during his career too which would not help. I doubt there is a tougher sport on players' bodies than AFL. Incredible demands to be superfit and run all day, jumping, kicking etc. while simultaneously exposed to heavy tackles and bumps from other players.

Unfortunately, its far too common for players who have played a lot of games to experience many soft tissue injuries as they reach 30 years old. McVeigh for us is another good example.

Veterans List

People will blame Easton Wood for Hanners injuries but maybe his body was going to give out after the 2016 season.
    You're points re: Hanners possibly overworking may have merit but one thing is starting to stand out.

You're getting good at apologising for enemies of our club BS. What's with that?

Woods act was a Dog act and Hanners was never the same after it. That's a fact.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 28th March 2022 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You're getting good at apologising for enemies of our club BS. What's with that?
    Devil's advocate? Making sure the other point of view is presented too?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Adam Goodes is in the new QANTAS ad on TV, the full "I Still Call Australia Home" version, has him about to jump in a pool of water at the lyrics "but as the world gets older and colder".

It is here on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwfuo8ESa5E, one minute and 50 seconds in.
    Last edited by Maltopia; 28th March 2022 at 04:19 PM.

On the generosity topic, I think BS is one of the few on here that wishes Dawson well in his future career at the Crows. Most of us hate him for the disingenuous way he dealt with the fans and our Club in the lead up to him walking out on us at season's end. Other players have left but were up front and honest about it eg Aliir, Jones, Membery. Most of us do not have the same animosity towards them because they acted in good faith with honour. Dawson did not - end of story. Worse, he forced us to enter into an under value trade with Adelaide rather than look at Port (a far better team).

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    On the generosity topic, I think BS is one of the few on here that wishes Dawson well in his future career at the Crows. Most of us hate him for the disingenuous way he dealt with the fans and our Club in the lead up to him walking out on us at season's end. Other players have left but were up front and honest about it eg Aliir, Jones, Membery. Most of us do not have the same animosity towards them because they acted in good faith with honour. Dawson did not - end of story. Worse, he forced us to enter into an under value trade with Adelaide rather than look at Port (a far better team).
    I tend to take a fairly pragmatic view with player movement. If someone offered me significantly more to do the same job, I’d probably jump ship. And I chose to work at my current places of employment (both over 2 decades ago). Players who are drafted have no say, so I guess why should they have a particular allegiance? Perhaps if they supported the club and were lucky enough to get drafted? But allegiances change over time. As personnel change they may like or dislike their environment less or more and no one should feel obligated to remain in a work environment they don’t like. Social situations also play a role. So ultimately I can’t begrudge a player departing, when I might choose to leave my employer for the same reason. As for the manner in which they leave, (I guess this might be Dawson / Mitchell specific) also can’t really begrudge that as I personally wouldn’t want my personal reasons for leaving my work place to be common knowledge, so how can I hold others to any different values. That doesn’t mean I like how Dawson left - I didn’t and don’t - but it’s ultimately his business (IMO). But I draw the line firmly there. I’m now fairly indifferent to him and his career. I do not wish him any team or personal success (team success to the Crows will ultimately be at the Swans expense as if the Crows do well, the Swans can’t have done as well; personal success I’m simply indifferent to - as much as any other player not wearing red and white). I will certainly appreciate his contribution as a Swan. As with any player, whether they played 1 or 300+ games, they contributed to the clubs history and that is important to me as a supporter. When they retire, regardless of which other teams they played for, they will always have a little bit of Swan in them (admittedly, some former Swans do actually have no affection for the club, but that doesn’t mean I won’t have affection for them as former players).

So I remain indifferent to Dawson. I personally wish him no ill will. I categorically wish him no success (& I hope he rues he decision so far - although it’s early days).

Hanners is one exception to this view for me. His apparent and seemingly genuine affection for the Swans is to endearing for me to dismiss.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It is very well known which end of the spectrum I am in this debate, but BS feels how he feels, and that's entirely up to him and cool. I'll still argue The Rat was a treacherous little turd, and BS is perfectly fine to argue the opposite.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side
    An interesting point on the nature of their leaving that influences how we feel about an ex-player. Even though I loathe the Eagles, I was always happy to Jetta run around. But on the other hand I have always felt a deep satisfaction that Mitchell has still not won a final playing for the Hawks.

Ultimately, the manner in which a player leaves a Club does make a difference with many fans - right or wrong. Two recent examples from other Clubs. How do you think Suns fans feel about Lynch? While back in Melbourne and still a Suns contracted player, he attending clandestine meetings with at least two Melbourne clubs - fact. I spend a bit of time on the Gold Coast and I can tell you they despise him up there.

Contrast this with Danger. Gave great service to Adelaide right up to his departure. Openly said that he wanted to move back to the Bellerine Peninsula to be close to family at the end of his contract. Even said to them that it would be his final contract with them when he signed his final contract with them. Keen to make sure Adelaide were adequately compensated for his departure when that came. Nothing underhand done. Result is that many Adelaide fans still have great respect for him although they miss him greatly. There are right and wrong ways to go about things.

I predict Dawson will face a torrid time from his former team mates and the fans when we pump his team later this season. Adelaide Game is in Sydney on 23 July. Can't wait to give it to him.

I once said to my sales director. “The client said two weeks ago they were doing the deal”. My sales director replied “the deal is never done until it’s signed”. I said “is the client duplicitous”. The sales director laughed and said “no, sometimes life changes, circumstances change and the client makes a different decision”. He went onto to say “it’s part of life, part of business, don’t feel frustrated, be grateful for the business the client has delivered to you. Now get back on the phone and find some new business”.

This my friends is Jordan Dawson and why their is no need to be bitter.

The Hanners situation is an interesting one. He wanted to stay a Swan, loved the club and was loved by the fans. The club wanted to move him on because his future salary did not match his future predicted productivity. Why did fans accept this outcome? Why didn’t they have a protest on Driver Avenue and burn memberships.

It’s funny how fans are roapable with Dawson for exercising his individual rights to leave but say nothing when the club gets rid of a fan favourite like Hanners.

I once said to my sales director. “The client said two weeks ago they were doing the deal”. My sales director replied “the deal is never done until it’s signed”. I said “is the client duplicitous”. The sales director laughed and said “no, sometimes life changes, circumstances change and the client makes a different decision”. He went onto to say “it’s part of life, part of business, don’t feel frustrated, be grateful for the business the client has delivered to you. Now get back on the phone and find some new business”.

This my friends is Jordan Dawson and why their is no need to be bitter.

The Hanners situation is an interesting one. He wanted to stay a Swan, loved the club and was loved by the fans. The club wanted to move him on because his future salary did not match his future predicted productivity. Why did fans accept this outcome? Why didn’t they have a protest on Driver Avenue and burn memberships.

It’s funny how fans are roapable with Dawson for exercising his individual rights to leave but say nothing when the club gets rid of a fan favourite like Hanners.
    You’ll probably get a number of similar replies to your post. I’d say many take umbrage to Jordan publicly stating Swans fans had nothing to worry about (thus many fans feel deceived - and this is a separate issue from Jordan having a right to do whatever he wants, however he wants).

Dan, while he might wanted to have stayed, did well financially out of the move. His move was in the best interests of the Swans (in terms of a salary dump and releasing a player whose body was likely known to be shot by the medical team). The Saints might look to be the loser of the deal, but they got a premiership player with oodles of experience and who came from a culture that has been the envy of many teams. That isn’t always easy to buy.

As far as why fans aren’t “being ropable at the club”, most fans recognise that no individual is bigger than the Club. Dan was a loss of a beloved player. So was Hall. And Capper. And Williams. And Mitchell (Snr). Rhys-Jones, Morwood…another Morwood, Foschini, x3 Danihers. Our history is littered with club favourites either wanting to go, being poached or pushed. But fans recognise that the Club makes the decision in the best interest of the club (weather hindsight proves the decision to be correct or not) and that no player, coach or administrator is bigger than the club.

You can’t really tell others not to be bitter (well, I guess you can, but they might not appreciate it) as it’s how they feel. And an individual’s raw emotion is a personal feeling and not one that is typically appreciated being lectured about.

Ultimately, the manner in which a player leaves a Club does make a difference with many fans - right or wrong. Two recent examples from other Clubs. How do you think Suns fans feel about Lynch? While back in Melbourne and still a Suns contracted player, he attending clandestine meetings with at least two Melbourne clubs - fact. I spend a bit of time on the Gold Coast and I can tell you they despise him up there.

Contrast this with Danger. Gave great service to Adelaide right up to his departure. Openly said that he wanted to move back to the Bellerine Peninsula to be close to family at the end of his contract. Even said to them that it would be his final contract with them when he signed his final contract with them. Keen to make sure Adelaide were adequately compensated for his departure when that came. Nothing underhand done. Result is that many Adelaide fans still have great respect for him although they miss him greatly. There are right and wrong ways to go about things.

I predict Dawson will face a torrid time from his former team mates and the fans when we pump his team later this season. Adelaide Game is in Sydney on 23 July. Can't wait to give it to him.
    You could contrast Crows fans sentiments toward Danger with how they felt about Tippett.

So many of my friends for years held the Swans in high regards … until Tippett. Couldn’t wish any good fortune to my team while he was with us (overtly mocking his numerous misfortunes with us to me) and then once he retired, were tolerant of the Swans again. Never mind that as Tippett’s second last contract was drawing to a close, Kurt declared he was keen to explore options and that it took a 3rd party deal and a big pay packet with a gentleman’s agreement to allow him to walk if he so chose when that final contract was to expire. Those points are largely ignored by irrational, rabid Crows fans