Page 109 of 145 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 1,297 to 1,308 of 1739

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The scuttlebutt around Dunkley was that we had come to an agreement with him that we would only match a bid if it came from a non-Victorian club. Like the Terry Wallace coaching rumours all those years ago the Swans have denied the rumours

The generous deal that got Dunkley to the Dogs

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    We couldn't have forced the issue. Father-sons are only entitled to nominate at their option. Only once the draftee has indicated they want to be drafted by the relevant club does the club gain the right to match the bid.

In Dunkley's case I think he nominated but we didn't match the Bulldogs' bid.
    Re forcing the issue, I meant matching the Bulldog’s bid when Dunkley was making plenty of noise about wanting to be in Melbourne before the draft took place. I didn’t mean nominate him as a father son without him agreeing. I don’t know why he even nominated, maybe it was to ward off WA and QLD teams.

I am aware the player has to nominate, because I am pretty sure I remember North Melbourne wanted Blakey to nominate as a F/S so they could match if required, but he only nominated to be our academy pick, which aggravated a lot of their fans.

Be a similar issue for Chris Judd’s boys who will be able to choose Eagles or the Blues for F/S selection. Franklin’s daughter might also get to be picked as a father/daughter for either the Hawks or Swans.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Franklin’s daughter might also get to be picked as a father/daughter for either the Hawks or Swans.
    His son too (as father/son).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am pretty sure there was a time when coaching and even administrative service to a club counted towards father-son entitlements, but you probably have to go back 30 years or so. I vaguely recall a young indigenous draftee who had been fostered by an Essendon director for a couple of years before he reached draft age, and Essendon applied to have him eligible to be selected as a father-son. The AFL turned it down but on the basis of what constituted a "father son" (or parent son in this case, as I think the director was female) rather than because the
    "parent" was an administrator rather than player.

Edit

I've found reference to this in Wikipedia (which may or may not be the gospel on everything true and right, but is likely reliable in this instance).

Father–son rule - Wikipedia
    Thanks Liz. I just got so used to seeing Blakey Snr in a Swans' polo that somewhere the wires got crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The scuttlebutt around Dunkley was that we had come to an agreement with him that we would only match a bid if it came from a non-Victorian club. Like the Terry Wallace coaching rumours all those years ago the Swans have denied the rumours

The generous deal that got Dunkley to the Dogs
    For what it's worth Dunkley was my favourite player when I started watching the Swans. I was pretty gutted we couldn't get Josh.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0918330512 View Post
    I see that Billy Picken has been recognised on the Swans app but Justin Crawford hasn’t yet
    Pure speculation, but sometimes a cause of death can cause a degree of hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    We could have had Dunkley too, but we didn’t force the issue.
    He at least nominated as a Swans F/S, Darcey and Joe Daniher, Ty Zantuck, David Round and Shane Morrison all declined too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    We have had only one decent one in our history, Tom Mitchell, and he left after 3 or 4 seasons. Maybe Dempster at a stretch but that's about it. Rest were not up to it.
    Dempster was an All-Australian for goodness sake, I'd suggest it's a stretch labelling him anything but an outstanding father son (albeit one we stuffed up).
    Interestingly he wouldn't have qualified under the current F/S rules.
    I wouldn't label Gareth John, Heath James and Stephen Doyle as "not up to it" all had their careers destoyed by injury and/or incompetence.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Melbourne clubs love to bleat about COLA and the Academy but remain silent about the father-son rule. Clubs like Collingwood and Geelong have had numerous stars come through this route. I am not a fan of it. Its a total free kick to those Clubs. Next thing you know we will have a brother-brother rule or father-daughter rule. Interstate clubs just do not have the same opportunity to recruit father-son picks. We have had only one decent one in our history, Tom Mitchell, and he left after 3 or 4 seasons. Maybe Dempster at a stretch but that's about it. Rest were not up to it.
    The Swans have only had about 130 players who have played in excess 100 games. Most of those have either passed or are well beyond childbearing.

I have also been pro a brother-brother rule, as seeing the Morwoods, Danihers etc playing together has always had appeal (admittedly, that usually resulted from Zone recruiting). The second brother joining the first sibling would have to be contingent on the second sibling wanting to actually join his sibling (not all brothers would). Twins might cause an issue (eg the King twins).

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    A grandfather/grandson pick would have yeileded Ben Graham and Callum Ward, in addition to Papley.

Speaking of the latter, I'd love it if the Swans media would get Tom to do a lap of the Lakeside oval eating an apple during training - recreate one of his paternal grandfathers more laconic moments.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I’ll guarantee there was no sympathy involved. The only reference in that AFL article that’s true is he was seen as surplus to requirements relative to the trouble involved.

At the time, we had Kennedy and Parker as inside bulls, we recruited Mills the same draft (even if he took a bit longer to play midfield due to circumstances than anticipated) and Heeney was expected to graduate in there (though injury niggles and his supreme skills forward hurt that).

Another inside mid with average kicking skills wasn’t seen as a priority, particularly given he was a 50-50 bet to go home in a year or two anyway.

You can argue about whether he’d be a valuable player now or our judgments were right in what he’d become (probably ‘slightly’ better than we predicted) but the sympathy angle is nonsense.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    For what it's worth Dunkley was my favourite player when I started watching the Swans. I was pretty gutted we couldn't get Josh.
    Dunks was a huge favourite of mine too, and remains so to this day whatever his relations with the club may be. An absolutely brilliant mark and as brutally tough a player as has ever pulled on boots. Despite his awkward style, he also became a perfectly effective kick so long as he didn't need to go more than about 30m. I fondly recall him dismantling Wayne Carey and Matthew Richardson a few times, when very few defenders were capable of that.

I too would have loved to see Dunks Jnr in the red and white.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Dunks was a huge favourite of mine too, and remains so to this day whatever his relations with the club may be. An absolutely brilliant mark and as brutally tough a player as has ever pulled on boots. Despite his awkward style, he also became a perfectly effective kick so long as he didn't need to go more than about 30m. I fondly recall him dismantling Wayne Carey and Matthew Richardson a few times, when very few defenders were capable of that.

I too would have loved to see Dunks Jnr in the red and white.
    What a wonderful summation of Dunkley! I grew up playing a lot of soccer and was a defender through and through. While others have their eye on midfielders and forwards, I was mesmerised by Dunks, Leo Barry, Kennelly (when he came into the squad), Bolts, Roos, Shaw etc. We've been blessed with some ripping players down back.

There has always been a lot of speculation around Dunkley Jnr and why he did not end up with the Swans. My take on it based on what I read at the time together with what seems to make sense to me was that he had a preference to stay in Melbourne rather than move to Sydney hence his initial reluctance to nominate as a father-son.

When it became apparent in the lead up to the draft that the Eagles were keen on him, he agreed to nominate on the condition that the Swans would only take him if another interstate team picked him up. The Bulldogs swooped so the Swans honoured their "gentlemen's agreement" and did not activate their father-son hold. The rest is history. He walked into the Bulldogs' senior team and a premiership.

Now this possibility is far from proven and there could be a much more innocent explanation eg our recruiters did not think he was worth the pick needed to acquire him. We may never know the truth as who would admit to draft tampering?