Page 132 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 1,573 to 1,584 of 1739

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Regular in the Side
    Fox Sports has a report on the 2023 plans for the just retired/ delisted 106 AFL players and among them, here are the update of the Ex- Swans players.
    James Bell – Glenelg (SANFL)

Josh Kennedy — Combining his passions for finance and youth mentorship in an ambassadorial role for Future Generation, which is the ASX-listed funds management company set up by Wilson Asset Management

Sam Naismith – Port Melbourne (VFL)

Barry O‘Connor – TBC, but will return to Sydney and hopes to play in some capacity after finishing a business degree here

Colin O‘Riordan – Had been playing for Tipperary (GAA), but is moving back to Australia. Recently graduated with first class honours in business marketing here.

Ben Ronke – TBC, but linked to Carlton (VFL)

Callum Sinclair – Working full-time for Dexus in property development, but still could have a kick in Sydney at local level

Lewis Taylor – Terang-Mortlake (Hampden Football Netball League)

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Fox Sports has a report on the 2023 plans for the just retired/ delisted 106 AFL players and among them, here are the update of the Ex- Swans players.
    James Bell – Glenelg (SANFL)

Josh Kennedy — Combining his passions for finance and youth mentorship in an ambassadorial role for Future Generation, which is the ASX-listed funds management company set up by Wilson Asset Management

Sam Naismith – Port Melbourne (VFL)

Barry O‘Connor – TBC, but will return to Sydney and hopes to play in some capacity after finishing a business degree here

Colin O‘Riordan – Had been playing for Tipperary (GAA), but is moving back to Australia. Recently graduated with first class honours in business marketing here.

Ben Ronke – TBC, but linked to Carlton (VFL)

Callum Sinclair – Working full-time for Dexus in property development, but still could have a kick in Sydney at local level

Lewis Taylor – Terang-Mortlake (Hampden Football Netball League)
    Thanks for the update Aaron.

As an old South Melbourne/Port Melbourne tragic, I love seeing Sam Naismith continuing his career at the Borough!

Really worthwhile interview with James Bell: That's Us Podcast | Podcast on Spotify. Bit of language but well worth it to get the less varnished take provided when among mob. Heartbreaking to hear about the racism that contributed to his delisting. The way he tells it, after his crucial miss kicking for goal at the end of the 2021 EF: he copped a lot abuse on social media, some of it overtly racist, and he couldn't get over it, hit the grog, and came back to pre-season out of shape and never recovered.

Some may say that criticising a player for poor performance is not inherently racist. That's true but booing a player isn't inherently racist either - yet it still led to the untimely end of the great Adam Goodes career. Some players (Indigenous players) cop more than their share of flak for poor performance or other controversial activity.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Really worthwhile interview with James Bell: That's Us Podcast | Podcast on Spotify. Bit of language but well worth it to get the less varnished take provided when among mob. Heartbreaking to hear about the racism that contributed to his delisting. The way he tells it, after his crucial miss kicking for goal at the end of the 2021 EF: he copped a lot abuse on social media, some of it overtly racist, and he couldn't get over it, hit the grog, and came back to pre-season out of shape and never recovered.

Some may say that criticising a player for poor performance is not inherently racist. That's true but booing a player isn't inherently racist either - yet it still led to the untimely end of the great Adam Goodes career. Some players (Indigenous players) cop more than their share of flak for poor performance or other controversial activity.
    "What petrol were you sniffing" WTF?
    These were Swans supporters?
    I feel ill
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    "What petrol were you sniffing" WTF?
    These were Swans supporters?
    I feel ill
    Well, booing a first nations player during a game isn't inherently racist (but could well be) but booing a first nations player repeatedly, after that player has said publicly they take it as racist, certainly is....and you're right, some indigenous players seem to cop disproportionately excessive flak for poor performances and off field misdemeanors.....and this definitely comes from a racist place.

It is disheartening as a Swans fan to see what James has had to put up with since that final in 2021.....extremely disappointing.

Veterans List
    Media talk here in Adelaide indicates that Dawson will be at least co-captain this season if not stand alone captain. Current captain Sloane is 33 and coming back from an ACL, not a good combination and his form prior to the ACL wasn't that good.

Crows got Dawson very cheap - bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Well, booing a first nations player during a game isn't inherently racist (but could well be) but booing a first nations player repeatedly, after that player has said publicly they take it as racist, certainly is....and you're right, some indigenous players seem to cop disproportionately excessive flak for poor performances and off field misdemeanors.....and this definitely comes from a racist place.

It is disheartening as a Swans fan to see what James has had to put up with since that final in 2021.....extremely disappointing.
    I hope I run into James one day. I'd look him in the eye and tell him how much I loved him for bleeding for the Swans.

It was heartbreaking to hear the compounding negative effects the racist keyboard warriors caused. No one deserves that treatment, least of all our First Nations people who have had to endure and survive so much rubbish. Social media can be so toxic.

It was good to get another insight into our footy club's culture and I was surprised he mentioned Isaac a few times, as we don't hear a lot about him despite him being photographed constantly. No surprises about his comment about the hardness of my man Luke Parker!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Media talk here in Adelaide indicates that Dawson will be at least co-captain this season if not stand alone captain. Current captain Sloane is 33 and coming back from an ACL, not a good combination and his form prior to the ACL wasn't that good.

Crows got Dawson very cheap - bastards!
    No doubt that Dawson was a big loss for us and it seemed that Adelaide got him at a bargain price, but our compensation is still running and not looking all that bad.

So far we got Cooper Victory, and we still have Hawthorn's 2nd and 3rd round picks this year to add to the compensation. We could very well come out on top with this trade, as hard as it seemed at the time.

Unless we forward trade a Hawthorn pick, we can close the deal at the end of this year. Dawson may retire before the compo picks stop rolling in.

Veterans List
    Weddle must have been highly rated by the Hawks for them to throw in 2023 second and third to get him. Will watch his career with interest. We're all death riding Hawks this season, surely they tank to get Harley Reid and thereby maximising our picks?

Keep tracking that Dawson deal Ludwig, under 10 months to go until the next phase plays out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Weddle must have been highly rated by the Hawks for them to throw in 2023 second and third to get him. Will watch his career with interest. We're all death riding Hawks this season, surely they tank to get Harley Reid and thereby maximising our picks?

Keep tracking that Dawson deal Ludwig, under 10 months to go until the next phase plays out :-)
    I death ride Hawthorn every season. But I suppose that having picks tied to them, will give me more of a rational reason to do so.

I just heard on SEN radio that Ronke will play with Carlton's VFL team in 2023. Good luck to him!

Regular in the Side
    As reported in a Zero Hanger Report
    Barry O'Connor is set to give his professional football career "another crack", signing on with GWS' VFL side for the 2023 season...He will link up with some familiar faces with former Sydney assistants Jeremy Laidler, Tadhg Kennelly and Lloyd Perris.