Page 135 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 1,609 to 1,620 of 1739

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

It's great to see on the Swans website a video of club legend Steven Wright and ruckman David Willis touring the new HQ facilities.

Steve, being one of the pioneers with the Swans move to Sydney, must've been blown away with what he saw, compared to the below par facilities even for his time back in 1982.

It's been heart warming in the past week seeing club legends like Wright & Goodes around the club. May the trend continue with more of our past greats.

Dan Hannebery was the special guest on The Front Bar this week. A great refresher watching his highlights on how great he was and putting his body on the line in marking contests. Good insights early in his career with Horse and amusing interviews looking back. Worth a watch imo.

The Front Bar - 14 Jun 2023 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    It's great to see on the Swans website a video of club legend Steven Wright and ruckman David Willis touring the new HQ facilities.

Steve, being one of the pioneers with the Swans move to Sydney, must've been blown away with what he saw, compared to the below par facilities even for his time back in 1982.

It's been heart warming in the past week seeing club legends like Wright & Goodes around the club. May the trend continue with more of our past greats.
    That’s one thing I’ve enjoyed about the SA Swans supporter group Christmas functions. Past players attending, being interviewed about their time with the club and mingling with the supporters. They have included: Ryan O’Keefe, Scott Direen, Max James, James Rose, Greg Smith and John Roberts. The players also seem to enjoy attending too. Scott even proudly wore the jumper the club gave him to honour all the players who had represented the Swans in Sydney. Sometimes they can give quite candid insights and accounts into the club (Smith, Roberts and James about the pioneering years; Smith about his departure to Collingwood - all is forgiven, he’s a Swan at heart!; O’Keefe about his failed trades to Carlton & Hawthorn).
    Last edited by goswannies; 17th June 2023 at 04:58 PM.

Nic Newman (30yo) has signed a 2 year contract extension with Carlton. I must admit being surprised how well he has kicked on since he went to the Blues. Good luck to him.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Nic Newman (30yo) has signed a 2 year contract extension with Carlton. I must admit being surprised how well he has kicked on since he went to the Blues. Good luck to him.
    I’m not, he showed plenty with us but was frozen out for some inexplicable reason

Senior Player
    Solid player. Hardly a world beater .

Read with interest Peter Bluchers recent article Where are the now: Craig Bird on the Swans’ website

In his opening paragraph he writes: ”In a week in which the Sydney Swans are set to play Essendon Craig Bird is something of a rarity. He’s one of only three players to have played for both clubs in the Sydney era.”

I assumed he was referring to the Sydney era as being since 1982, the relocation.

He mentions Richards and Bolton but doesn’t name the 3rd of this rare trio of dual Swans/ Bombers players.

I guess it could have been any of:

Ed Considine, Michael Werner, Merv Neagle, Ben Doolan, Anthony Daniher, Ryan O’Connor, Peter Filandia, Mark Eustice, Derek Kickett, Craig O’Brien, Richard Ambrose (didn’t play seniors at Essendon) or Andrew Bomford

I might have missed some but it’s late and I can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head

(I didn’t include Steve Taubert as his Essendon games were pre- the Sydney era, or Neville Fields as while his second Essendon stint was the Sydney era, his Swans stint was with South)

Do you think that Blucher was referring to Sydney players who left and then played with Essendon? As you listed there are quite a number of players who played with Sydney after leaving Essendon.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Do you think that Blucher was referring to Sydney players who left and then played with Essendon? As you listed there are quite a number of players who played with Sydney after leaving Essendon.
    Yes, I think that is how the players are counted in the article. Going from Sydney to Essendon from 1982 onwards: Ben Doolan, Anthony Daniher, Craig Bird.

I make it 12 players (with at least 1 game for each club) going the other way from 1982 onwards: Ryan O'Connor, Andrew Bomford, Craig O'Brien, Ed Considine, Derek Kickett, Peter Filandia, Ted Richards, Michael Werner, Mark Eustice, Merv Neagle, Michael Davis, Aaron Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Yes, I think that is how the players are counted in the article. Going from Sydney to Essendon from 1982 onwards: Ben Doolan, Anthony Daniher, Craig Bird.
    Except that he names Richards in the article.
    ”The now 34-year-old shares this honour and his greatest memory in football with 2012 premiership teammate Ted Richards.”
    Last edited by goswannies; 30th July 2023 at 05:27 PM.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    That’s one thing I’ve enjoyed about the SA Swans supporter group Christmas functions. Past players attending, being interviewed about their time with the club and mingling with the supporters. They have included: Ryan O’Keefe, Scott Direen, Max James, James Rose, Greg Smith and John Roberts. The players also seem to enjoy attending too. Scott even proudly wore the jumper the club gave him to honour all the players who had represented the Swans in Sydney. Sometimes they can give quite candid insights and accounts into the club (Smith, Roberts and James about the pioneering years; Smith about his departure to Collingwood - all is forgiven, he’s a Swan at heart!; O’Keefe about his failed trades to Carlton & Hawthorn).
    Ah, John Roberts. There are some good memories. Not quite as good as the Wiz at grabbing a speccy (few have been), but not far off it. A flyer sandwiched between the Teasdale and Capper eras of aerobatics. A really exciting player.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

I make it 12 players (with at least 1 game for each club) going the other way from 1982 onwards: Ryan O'Connor, Andrew Bomford, Craig O'Brien, Ed Considine, Derek Kickett, Peter Filandia, Ted Richards, Michael Werner, Mark Eustice, Merv Neagle, Michael Davis, Aaron Francis.
    Andrew Bomford went both ways
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.