Page 16 of 147 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It’s very hard to pass proper judgment unless we get a video of the comments, the context in which they were made and the manner in which he delivered them.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Nice of Gary Rohan to have a crack at the Swans after all the support he was provided with over the years at the club. I didn’t see the program referenced so not sure what was said but it sounds like he was aware that Sydney were expecting a return on their patience ?
    AFL legend’s blockbuster Franklin call
    A typical article from Caro that relies on vibe and innuendo. She used to be quite balanced other than her bias for Richmond. It's a common trait with The Age writers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    You don't feel he needed a bit of support after the death of his baby? I would've thought regardless of his on field form the club would be doing everything it could to support him through what would've been a really traumatic experience.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much out of him last year as a personal tragedy like that is much bigger than a game of football. For him to say he felt like he was walking on eggshells is a blight on the club
    Theres a massive difference between giving him support and giving him games purely because the club felt sorry for him. The fact is that the Swans gave more opportunity than he deserved. For years he failed to deliver, and I'm saying this as one of his biggest supporters in the first few years. His family tragedy doesn't entitle him to preferential treatment.

If goswannette is going to watch that Batchelor in Paradise show, I’ll at least try to make it relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think you've nailed it on this one, barry. I was one of those with endless patience, just waiting for him to finally deliver.

He didn't play a game for us after June last year. He had, in fact, become a fringe player.

Rohan and Menzel both needed a change in scenery. Gary seems the same old Gary at Geelong. And so does Menzel so far. We'll revisit this at the end of the season.
    The sad thing is that (IMO) Rohan was going to be an absolute gun for us. Up until the time that that POC Thomas broke his leg, that is. His several games prior to that injury were very good and his form was trending perfectly. He was going to be the exact player that we needed. I even recall Turner, his Falcons coach, stating that at the time of his draft that he had the potential to be the best player to have gone through the Falcons system (or words to that effect).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    If goswannette is going to watch that Batchelor in Paradise show, I’ll at least try to make it relevant
    My daughters are watching that.

I've just cut them from my will.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It’s very hard to pass proper judgment unless we get a video of the comments, the context in which they were made and the manner in which he delivered them.
    This is probably the most sensible response I've heard ugg.

For those bagging me for daring to suggest that something is not right, here are the dictionary definitions of walking on eggshells

if you are walking on eggs/eggshells, you are being very careful not to offend someone or do anything wrong:
    to be very careful how you behave around someone because you might easily make them angry or upset
    to be very careful about what you say or do to someone because they are easily upset or offended

Yes perhaps Gaz misspoke (after all he is a footballer!) or didn't mean what he said, but I don't think you can necessarily brush it off as nothing either.

Without being in the inner sanctum of the club, none of us can know either way

Without being in the inner sanctum of the club, none of us can know either way
    Sounds very much like there is some doubt.
    How about this approach?
    Back your club on why they made a decision to move him on.

Personally I have two big reasons that may have contributed.
    2014 & 2016 GF.
    In fact the zero input from Gaz that day was the last straw for me. Another two years since then where on field, there was no improvement.
    I'd much rather he is a "star" at Geelong than a "Star" at the Swans.
    Very happy with that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    Sounds very much like there is some doubt.
    How about this approach?
    Back your club on why they made a decision to move him on.
    This has got nothing to do with trading him, you've missed the point completely

Senior Player
    Anyhoo I don't think we'll get anywhere further debating Gaz's comments so I'll refrain from making any further comment on them

So back on topic, I see Sam Fischer at the Northern Blues is a chance for the mid season rookie draft. I thought he showed a bit when he was here and was surprised that he only got 1 season

Apparently Ed Langdon of Freo has put contract talks on hold until later in the season. He’s having a very good to start to the year , is quick and I think ( could be wrong ) he has a good tank also. Not sure he’s what we need exactly but he’s a good player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So back on topic, I see Sam Fischer at the Northern Blues is a chance for the mid season rookie draft. I thought he showed a bit when he was here and was surprised that he only got 1 season
    I really like Sam Fischer and was both surprised and disappointed that he was cut. I thought he was a clever footballer with good kicking skills. I would certainly like him back on our list.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Apparently Ed Langdon of Freo has put contract talks on hold until later in the season. He’s having a very good to start to the year , is quick and I think ( could be wrong ) he has a good tank also. Not sure he’s what we need exactly but he’s a good player.
    Ed Langdon is the younger brother of Tom Langdon from Collingwood, who we targeted last year, but failed to get. We ended up with Thurlow instead. Ed is more a midfielder and a good player. If we lost Jones, I would definitely go after Langdon. He's worth chasing in any case.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Ed Langdon is the younger brother of Tom Langdon from Collingwood, who we targeted last year, but failed to get. We ended up with Thurlow instead. Ed is more a midfielder and a good player. If we lost Jones, I would definitely go after Langdon. He's worth chasing in any case.
    I think Ed is a better player than Tom. He was excellent in our game last year against Freo at the SCG - Freo's best by some margin I thought.

He's probably not the kind of player we're most in need of though, as a predominantly outside player (wingman, rather than HBFer). Yes, we do need that kind of player in the senior team, but hopefully we already have them, on our list, gradually maturing.