Page 18 of 145 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Chris Judd on Footy Classified tonight has already declared Gary Rohan as the recruit of year after his bag of 4 goals today! Hutchy suggesting he is a trade up for Geelong over Menzel, who hasn't played a game yet this year.
    He certainly is benefitting immensely from a team where his role looks very well defined, and from a team that can actually deliver the ball well into the forward 50.

Lets see how he goes when the Cats aren't playing so well - but so far, so good for him. And good on him - the change of scenery might be just what he needed.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    He certainly is benefitting immensely from a team where his role looks very well defined, and from a team that can actually deliver the ball well into the forward 50.

Lets see how he goes when the Cats aren't playing so well - but so far, so good for him. And good on him - the change of scenery might be just what he needed.
    I think your first line sums it up perfectly. He didn't need a change of scenery, but rather a team that is capable of moving the ball to the forward line directly and efficiently (as would any forward)

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Not quite my wife yet but getting there - no need to comment AnnieH!

And, yeah, sorry. I’m a big fan of Dean - lovely guy - the comparison was looks only ... and I have to agree that Bill is about the worst that a Y chromosome has to offer.
    I STILL want to be young enough to dance naked on the table at your wedding.
    Yullah. Hurry up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I see on Seven's 'Gameday' that Hanners was at the Swans/Tigers game last night sitting with Will Hayward and other Swans players. They didn't make anything of it as there wasn't anything in it but they had a Saint player there in the studio (not sure who it was) and he was just talking about how good Hanners is with his support of his team mates etc. Hanners did seem very comfortable sitting where he was, animatedly chatting with his old team mates.....

No doubt he's happy with where his new team is at.....
    The odd thing was that St Kilda played in the game timeslotted "before" us (I think at the MCG).
    He would have missed the first quarter getting across town in time to watch the swans.
    Shouldn't he have been watching (and supporting) his new team?
    Weird.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I STILL want to be young enough to dance naked on the table at your wedding.
    Yullah. Hurry up.
    You know we’re both physios. We’ll get you up on the table no matter what. It’s what we do! And we’ll even arrange for John W to be your date if you need

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    The odd thing was that St Kilda played in the game timeslotted "before" us (I think at the MCG).
    He would have missed the first quarter getting across town in time to watch the swans.
    Shouldn't he have been watching (and supporting) his new team?
    Weird.
    He knows where his heart truly is. Same for AJ
    Last edited by goswannies; 24th April 2019 at 01:00 PM.

If Rohan continues the year on the trajectory he has shown in the first few rounds, I will eat my words and concede the problem was not Gary Rohan, but the Swans football department (gamestyle, player development, etc).

The post-Colless era is not looking rosy.

I miss Gazza (now known as Chuckie at Geelong). I only wish him well and have been cheering his goals. I am delighted to see him blooming at Geelong. I wish he was still with us in that sort of form. Clearly, at this stage, Geelong are winning the (effective) Rohan-Menzel trade.

That said, and sad as I am that we pushed Gaz out (I think he made it clear that he didn't really want to leave), it doesn't mean we made the wrong decision. He wasn't going so well playing for us. And I think the point that he may not have been getting the same service from our midfield is a point well made. Whether it's the players or the system or his role or that they are just coaching him better it's working out better for him on field at Geelong. Anyway, it can be a win-win-win trade although one that at this stage Gaz is winning the most and us the least. It's up to us to make of it now. Hopefully Menzel will come good for us.

And in the meantime, I continue to wish Gaz every success at Geelong, including that he plays well.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Whether it's the players or the system or his role or that they are just coaching him better it's working out better for him on field at Geelong. l.
    Newman has also been utilised more effectively at Carlton than he was with the Swans.

Interested to see how Hanners fares when he gets on the park now

The current "success" of Gaz, Nankervis and to a lesser extent Newman outside of the Swans and the excessive time it has taken to get players like Mitchell, Nankervis, Dawson, COR, Newman and others into the side on a regular basis does raise a few questions about the basis on which our team selection, coaching, player development etc works.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I miss Gazza (now known as Chuckie at Geelong). I only wish him well and have been cheering his goals. I am delighted to see him blooming at Geelong. I wish he was still with us in that sort of form. Clearly, at this stage, Geelong are winning the (effective) Rohan-Menzel trade.

That said, and sad as I am that we pushed Gaz out (I think he made it clear that he didn't really want to leave), it doesn't mean we made the wrong decision. He wasn't going so well playing for us. And I think the point that he may not have been getting the same service from our midfield is a point well made. Whether it's the players or the system or his role or that they are just coaching him better it's working out better for him on field at Geelong. Anyway, it can be a win-win-win trade although one that at this stage Gaz is winning the most and us the least. It's up to us to make of it now. Hopefully Menzel will come good for us.

And in the meantime, I continue to wish Gaz every success at Geelong, including that he plays well.
    Good post. Interesting to see whether Menzel plays reserves this weekend.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The current "success" of Gaz, Nankervis and to a lesser extent Newman outside of the Swans and the excessive time it has taken to get players like Mitchell, Nankervis, Dawson, COR, Newman and others into the side on a regular basis does raise a few questions about the basis on which our team selection, coaching, player development etc works.
    I've generally been supportive of the coaching and player development, but agree there is now reason for some doubt. The development of Florent, Hayward, Ling, Stoddart, Blakey and Rowbottom will be telling. All of our line coaches are inexperienced and have little to no demonstrated success. Might be time to at least bring in proven assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I've generally been supportive of the coaching and player development, but agree there is now reason for some doubt. The development of Florent, Hayward, Ling, Stoddart, Blakey and Rowbottom will be telling. All of our line coaches are inexperienced and have little to no demonstrated success. Might be time to at least bring in proven assistant coaches.
    To my eyes there does appear to be an overly cautious selection policy, which I suspect correlates with too much focus on what players can't do and not enough on what they can do. And the need for every player to be a two way runner etc. The whole Dusty doesn't tackle discussion (and response, that's not his role) was interesting. I wonder if he'd get a game at the Swans if he wasn't prepared to defend?

There also appears to be inflexibility in how we play the game. I think Nankervis was a success at Richmond yet barely played at Sydney because they were prepared to build a gameplan that didn't require a dominant tap ruckman, whereas ours is so stoppage focused we wouldn't/couldn't. Ludwig would be all over this. They played to his strengths and compensated for his weaknesses, above all, not winning the hitouts.

And yes I'm very concerned about (1) the mass exodus of line coaches and (2) their replacement with Swans insiders. I'm not qualified to know where its going wrong with the coaching, but I look at the Hardwick-Buckley-Richardson (so far) model, where clubs have retained the senior coaches but brought in stronger/different line coaches to challenge and support them better. I particularly look at what Collingwood did almost overnight, with the same set of players and a long injury list and think that something similar could be possible at the Swans.

I also don't know how it works with Blakey and Longmire and who calls the shots. What I'd give to spend a week inside the Swans as a fly-on-the-wall!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    To my eyes there does appear to be an overly cautious selection policy, which I suspect correlates with too much focus on what players can't do and not enough on what they can do. And the need for every player to be a two way runner etc. The whole Dusty doesn't tackle discussion (and response, that's not his role) was interesting. I wonder if he'd get a game at the Swans if he wasn't prepared to defend?

There also appears to be inflexibility in how we play the game. I think Nankervis was a success at Richmond yet barely played at Sydney because they were prepared to build a gameplan that didn't require a dominant tap ruckman, whereas ours is so stoppage focused we wouldn't/couldn't. Ludwig would be all over this. They played to his strengths and compensated for his weaknesses, above all, not winning the hitouts.

And yes I'm very concerned about (1) the mass exodus of line coaches and (2) their replacement with Swans insiders. I'm not qualified to know where its going wrong with the coaching, but I look at the Hardwick-Buckley-Richardson (so far) model, where clubs have retained the senior coaches but brought in stronger/different line coaches to challenge and support them better. I particularly look at what Collingwood did almost overnight, with the same set of players and a long injury list and think that something similar could be possible at the Swans.

I also don't know how it works with Blakey and Longmire and who calls the shots. What I'd give to spend a week inside the Swans as a fly-on-the-wall!
    They did bring in Johnson and Cox, but they are effectively doing an apprenticeship at the moment. A Ratten-type would be helpful.