Page 22 of 147 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Big mistake by us especially since Bruest is about 6' as far as I know. Maybe he had a late growth spurt. Clubs seem to shy away from the smaller players. I don't see the reason myself. Just look at Caleb Daniels for example. He should have been a first round selection based on ability. Smaller players can compensate for this deficiency other areas.
    6' though is a bit in between as forwards go. While I didnt see how talented he was at reserves level , it wouldnt be unusual for clubs to pass over a guy that size if it was seen that he wasnt a viable option as a mid/ forward. Huge mistake of course as the reality is that someone of that size can still compete with most of the big guys as well as the half backs of most teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This on Gaz in the Age today. And for the record, I was one of those who called for Rohan to go myself.

The comparison to Menzel stings. Menzel was a 2 goal a game marking forward at Geelong, Gaz is averaging 2.5. The most he ever averaged at the Swans was 1.4 a game.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...28-p51hyp.html

What the Swans need

Sydney could use a strong-bodied, fast, medium-sized player who is good overhead and can take a mark belying his height. Exceptionally quick and able to get out on a lead, he would be an attacking weapon.

The player that fits Sydney’s needs was there last year. The player they need now is Gary Rohan. OK, they need more than Rohan, and in fact the Rohan we describe now was not the Rohan we could describe at the Swans last year or in previous years.

Yes, he had been wracked by injury through his time at the Swans but he has also said himself recently that he felt he was walking on egg shells in his last days at Sydney. Rohan is a renewed and rediscovered talent. He rounds out the Cats’ attack, being a more athletic version of the role they used Dan Menzel in previously.

Geelong, clear on top of the ladder now, look more potent this year not just for the altering of roles for Selwood and Ablett but the inclusions of Dahlhaus and, in particular Rohan.
    That sounds like Membrey (not that's he's exceptionally quick). It's very concerning that; 1) we aren't recognising the abilities of players that we are letting go, and 2) there's a trend for players to flourish in a non-Swans environment.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    That sounds like Membrey (not that's he's exceptionally quick). It's very concerning that; 1) we aren't recognising the abilities of players that we are letting go, and 2) there's a trend for players to flourish in a non-Swans environment.
    I think there have been plenty who have flourished in our environment including the current captain

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I guess it depends on the degree to which you feel the current situation is self inflicted. I love the club and the players but I think it is ok to question their various decisions on a non club affiliated internet footy forum. I also dig your defense of the club and players. Actually I think we're all entitled..to an opinion.
    Great post, thanks for that.

For every member of BF's "quick to condemn brigade" there's a member of the LEGO "everything is awesome" brigade, and as Legs says all are entitled to their opinion and entitled to express it AND expect to have is discussed.

One difference I have noticed since my return to RWO is that there is less of the latter on here than previously, less conversations/discussions.
    Posters login, state their opinion - but do so in isolation to the posts of others.
    I think RWO is poorer for it.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 2nd May 2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Great post, thanks for that.

For every member of BF's "quick to condemn brigade" there's a member of the LEGO "everything is awesome" brigade, and as Legs says all are entitled to their opinion and entitled to express it AND expect to have is discussed.

One difference I have noticed since my return to RWO is that there is less of the latter on here than previously, less conversations/discussions.
    Posters login, state their opinion - but do so in isolation to the posts of others.

I think RWO is poorer for it.
    I think that's partly the format of the threads RnR. It doesn't take too many posts until a new page starts and then people are less likely to engage with an early comment they can't see.
    It's definitely a lot quieter on here than in the past. A few fair weather RWOers maybe?

It could be fair weather posters vacating RWO, certainly the stands are showing signs of a bit of fair weather vacating.
    I've only been involved in 2 social media sites really, and this is one, but it seems that either
    a) There's no engagement - people just state and restate their positions without regard to what others are saying (like an empty echo chamber) or
    b) The engagement is simply adversarial point scoring.
    Discussion is supposed to include argument - arguing the toss with someone that doesn't hold the same opinions as you is far healthier than joining a groupthink bubble where all is agreement (like those idiots in Christchurch or Parramatta)
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    It could be fair weather posters vacating RWO, certainly the stands are showing signs of a bit of fair weather vacating.
    I've only been involved in 2 social media sites really, and this is one, but it seems that either
    a) There's no engagement - people just state and restate their positions without regard to what others are saying (like an empty echo chamber) or
    b) The engagement is simply adversarial point scoring.
    Discussion is supposed to include argument - arguing the toss with someone that doesn't hold the same opinions as you is far healthier than joining a groupthink bubble where all is agreement (like those idiots in Christchurch or Parramatta)
    In my opinion RWO is an exceptionally good forum compared to most.

There are genuine conversations happening but often there are several happening simultaneously in the same thread, but out of sync slightly. One person replies to a comment on a previous page; the next poster replies to a comment 3 up from their post; 3rd poster to that one and so on. Which looks like people ignoring each other, but often isn't.

An there is argument too. Particularly when Liz, the voice of reason, gets involved.

I would love to see a revisiting of posts made at the start of the year in the preseason about how we were going to go this year!

Your experience of social media is greater than mine, I think I shall avoid the "most" - and stick to RWO

We need to figure out what happened to Rok Lobster and Connelly. Actually they set the example but we can all follow. It's our place, we can make of it what we will. These things go in cycles

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/roh...06-p51khe.html

Poor little Ranga.
    He's crushed.
    Not.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I'm back! No reason. Just am. For a bit.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/roh...06-p51khe.html

Poor little Ranga.
    He's crushed.
    Not.
    Disappointing ,his version of the story behind his move keeps escalating as the season goes on.