Page 29 of 147 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Hanners leading all comers with 11 possessions in his first quarter for the Saints
    a lot of iffy disposals but he looks to be better than what he was last year for sure

On the veteran's list
    Gaz starting to rack up swan numbers at Geelong. 5 disposals and no score against Port.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Gaz starting to rack up swan numbers at Geelong. 5 disposals and no score against Port.
    1. he was concussed so didn't play much after half time and

2. geelong didn't get the ball into the forward line terribly much.

As with the swans if the ball doesn't get there much you can either single out the forward for lack of possessions or you can either blame the team and the midfield.

Senior Player
    Noticed Rohan is out with injury this week, and was sorry to read it's concussion. Checked out his stats and they're comparable to his 2016-17 years. This year: 9.2 possessions and 1.6 goals a game. Notably fewer tackles than with us. See here: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...ts--gary-rohan.

Veteran Site Admin
    He only tangentially qualifies as an ex-player (he played as a top-up with the NEAFL team while in the academy) but I see Ben Davis (brother of Abe) has been selected to make his debut this weekend for the Crows. Good on him. I remember him, still as a teenager, talking about how exciting it was to have a big brother who had made it onto an AFL list, but now he's achieved something that eluded Abe.

(From the picture of him accompanying the story of him debuting, he's bulked up a fair bit since joining the Crows. He was a very slightly built teenager.)

Crows turn to debutant for duel with Cats, Bryce back - AFL.com.au

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He only tangentially qualifies as an ex-player (he played as a top-up with the NEAFL team while in the academy) but I see Ben Davis (brother of Abe) has been selected to make his debut this weekend for the Crows. Good on him. I remember him, still as a teenager, talking about how exciting it was to have a big brother who had made it onto an AFL list, but now he's achieved something that eluded Abe.

(From the picture of him accompanying the story of him debuting, he's bulked up a fair bit since joining the Crows. He was a very slightly built teenager.)

Crows turn to debutant for duel with Cats, Bryce back - AFL.com.au
    Think he was an academy player but we weren’t allowed to pre-select him due to an eligibility issue

Veteran Site Admin
    He was in our academy. He was injured throughout his U18 year, which led him to not nominating for the draft that year. He nominated the following year (as an U19) but wasn't eligible as a priority selection because he hadn't nominated the previous year.

My read of it was that the Swans were looking to put him on the rookie list, rather than the senior list, so even if they had had the right to match, maybe they wouldn't. I am not entirely sure, but he probably would have qualified as a rookie list pre-selection had he made it past the ND, purely on the basis of residence.

I think he will become the first Swans academy graduate to play senior football at another team. I think all three of the other academies have had graduates play for other sides. The Lions and Giants certainly have. I'm not sure about the Suns.

I know it's been mentioned on another thread, but Rhyce Shaw is doing pretty well at getting the Kangaroos job. Very happy for him if he does get the gig!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I know it's been mentioned on another thread, but Rhyce Shaw is doing pretty well at getting the Kangaroos job. Very happy for him if he does get the gig!
    Agree. If they keep playing well what happens to the Longmire offer, potentially awkward situation there ... “ yeah sorry horse , maybe cancel the move down, Rhyce is our man now ...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Agree. If they keep playing well what happens to the Longmire offer, potentially awkward situation there ... “ yeah sorry horse , maybe cancel the move down, Rhyce is our man now ...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or Rhyce's management can say, "Well, we heard what you were offering to John, so perhaps you'd like to pay Rhyce something similar?"

There's been some talk of Paul Roos joining Shaw at Norf in a mentoring role. We know he won't come cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There's been some talk of Paul Roos joining Shaw at Norf in a mentoring role. We know he won't come cheap.
    What a great idea! Don't think Shaw and Roos crossed over so they probably wouldn't have an established relationship but that doesn't matter, you'd think Roos could be a good mentor for any relatively green senior coach.