Page 4 of 145 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I'm not proud to admit it, but it turns out my sympathy for Tom is comfortably outweighed by a gloating pleasure in the blow it represents for Hawthorn fans. There, I admitted it. If that makes me a small person then so be it.
    And isnt that double tib/fib break the same thing that ended Jamie Lawson's career - leg never recovered properly from the surgery? Presumably there have been advances sincethen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I'm not proud to admit it, but it turns out my sympathy for Tom is comfortably outweighed by a gloating pleasure in the blow it represents for Hawthorn fans. There, I admitted it. If that makes me a small person then so be it.
    +1

Veterans List
    Warwick Capper.... The Wiz.... Wozza.... CAPPER!! ....not exactly sure what he's doing now.......comedy tours with Ricky Nixon I think but he wasn't half bad in his day, as these highlights show!

Fantastic Five: Best of Capper - AFL.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Warwick Capper.... The Wiz.... Wozza.... CAPPER!! ....not exactly sure what he's doing now.......comedy tours with Ricky Nixon I think but he wasn't half bad in his day, as these highlights show!

Thanks for that stevoswan, wonderful shots of Capper, a truly thrilling player to watch.

And it was followed by a similar collection of Goodsey! What a bonus!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Thanks also from me Stevoswan. Hadn't seen that footage against Adelaide before, the Wiz must've kicked a big bag that day. I recall his Open Mike interview when Sheahan asked him his fondest footy memory to which Capper replied seeing the Swans win the 2005 flag. It showed his true love for the club.

Veterans List
    This is more so what he used to be doing but worth a look.

Check the young Hanners on the right, from the afl.com.au main page.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%...llenge1024.jpg

He looks about twenty years older now but that's what ten years of 'bash and crash' footy will do to you!

Senior Player
    This is more so what he used to be doing but worth a look.

Check the young Hanners on the right, from the afl.com.au main page.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%...llenge1024.jpg

He looks about twenty years older now but that's what ten years of 'bash and crash' footy will do to you!
    I was actually trying to work out who that was, I couldn't tell if it was Hanners or Kieran

Warming the Bench
    My manager is a Hawthorn fan. He was quite upset when the news of Tom's broken leg was announced

I was at the Final at Waverley against the Hawks when Wazz took the “Mark of the Century”. One of the two highlights of the day (the other being his 100th for the season).

A year or two later I was in Queensland on family holiday. Dad took me into a clothing store called Umano (owned by Christopher Skase) when a large (to a kid) shop assistant sauntered up to me and (in rapid, almost incomprehensible English) said “Do you want my autograph?” It was Capper. He was nice and chatty, signed a Brisbane Bears flyer (which I’ve since lost) and before I left I told him I had a poster of him taking the mark on Landford. He told me to post it up to him and he’d sign it for me.

I returned home, got a post tube, wrote a letter and mailed the Langford mark poster (& a couple of others) off to him with a letter. After I mailed it, I realised I forgot to include return postage

Months went by and I was resigned to losing my color poster of Wazza’s self-proclaimed Mark of the Century when the post tube arrived in the mail marked Return to Sender. I still remember being disappointed but relieved that I got my posters back.

I opened the tube and pulled out the posters to find them all signed and included a couple of extra photos of himself standing in front of undearwear models (odd thing to send to a kid).

The Wiz was either really smart or really cheap, avoiding buying stamps by marking it Return to Sender. Either way, he was pretty generous to a kid who barracked for his former (& future) team. I still have the posters and the Langford one is framed.

I’ll always have time for Waz as he makes time for others.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I was at the Final at Waverley against the Hawks when Wazz took the “Mark of the Century”. One of the two highlights of the day (the other being his 100th for the season).

A year or two later I was in Queensland on family holiday. Dad took me into a clothing store called Umano (owned by Christopher Skase) when a large (to a kid) shop assistant sauntered up to me and (in rapid, almost incomprehensible English) said “Do you want my autograph?” It was Capper. He was nice and chatty, signed a Brisbane Bears flyer (which I’ve since lost) and before I left I told him I had a poster of him taking the mark on Landford. He told me to post it up to him and he’d sign it for me.

I returned home, got a post tube, wrote a letter and mailed the Langford mark poster (& a couple of others) off to him with a letter. After I mailed it, I realised I forgot to include return postage

Months went by and I was resigned to losing my color poster of Wazza’s self-proclaimed Mark of the Century when the post tube arrived in the mail marked Return to Sender. I still remember being disappointed but relieved that I got my posters back.

I opened the tube and pulled out the posters to find them all signed and included a couple of extra photos of himself standing in front of undearwear models (odd thing to send to a kid).

The Wiz was either really smart or really cheap, avoiding buying stamps by marking it Return to Sender. Either way, he was pretty generous to a kid who barracked for his former (& future) team. I still have the posters and the Langford one is framed.

I’ll always have time for Waz as he makes time for others.
    So: you think you can get away with posting that, without including a picture of Waz and the underwear models?? I suspect that we all would like to see that, as it's bound to have a certain je ne sais quoi.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    So: you think you can get away with posting that, without including a picture of Waz and the underwear models?? I suspect that we all would like to see that, as it's bound to have a certain je ne sais quoi.
    Umm yup for 2 good reasons ...
    1) Like the signed Bears pamphlet, I’ve misplaced them over the last 3 decades
    2) They were MALE models in the background (... & for the female RWOers, Waz was fully clad in a white suit jacket IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Umm yup for 2 good reasons ...
    1) Like the signed Bears pamphlet, I’ve misplaced them over the last 3 decades
    2) They were MALE models in the background (... & for the female RWOers, Waz was fully clad in a white suit jacket IIRC)
    And now I've just spent the first half hour of Saturday morning, searching the internet for that image. Alas, it doesn't seem to have made it to the digital age. Possibly a good thing.