Page 58 of 147 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ruptured, out for the rest of the season. Rotten luck.
    That can be a career ending injury. Nasty.

Eddie McGuire on Fox Footy last Friday Night mentioned that Bobby Skilton is in hospital with a broken shoulder after having a fall. Not sure if anyone was aware of this, as I haven't seen this reported elsewhere in the media and concerned considering Bobby's age & recent health issues. Hope he's recovering well.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Eddie McGuire on Fox Footy last Friday Night mentioned that Bobby Skilton is in hospital with a broken shoulder after having a fall. Not sure if anyone was aware of this, as I haven't seen this reported elsewhere in the media and concerned considering Bobby's age & recent health issues. Hope he's recovering well.
    I think it was reported in the Herald Sun 3 days ago - I just looked and while I can’t access the article, it was dated 3 days ago

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Yes, I read that in the Hun a few days ago but forgot to mention it here. It will be sad day when time catches up with Bobby.
    Get well Skilts! 👍

Veterans List
    My dad spoke to Skilton a few days ago and he's in good spirits.

Poor Bobby hasn't had much luck the last few years.

It hurts a little bit seeing how well Zak Jones is doing at St Kilda, and doubly so knowing that we got shafted at the trade table. It eases the pain a smidge that there probably wasn't much more we could have done to keep him (unlike with Mitchell - which hurts a bit more because we also got shafted in the trade but we could have kept him if we had tried a bit harder and hadn't decided to prioritise other players). Afl.com.au's 'Data Report' with the guy from Champion Data focused on the value that Zak Jones is bringing to St Kilda, and I watched it yesterday, which is why i happen to bringing this up now.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    “Refuse to Lose” is a rugby league podcast but for their fifth (and currently latest) episode they talk to Kizza for well over an hour. The early stuff like his introduction to AFL, his draft story, his early training days as a tagger cover existing ground but the later stuff like his thoughts on the Adam Goodes racism incidents, the 14 and 16 GFs, and his post football career is new (well at least it is to me)

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/666961
    Last edited by ugg; 22nd June 2020 at 03:59 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It hurts a little bit seeing how well Zak Jones is doing at St Kilda, and doubly so knowing that we got shafted at the trade table. It eases the pain a smidge that there probably wasn't much more we could have done to keep him (unlike with Mitchell - which hurts a bit more because we also got shafted in the trade but we could have kept him if we had tried a bit harder and hadn't decided to prioritise other players). Afl.com.au's 'Data Report' with the guy from Champion Data focused on the value that Zak Jones is bringing to St Kilda, and I watched it yesterday, which is why i happen to bringing this up now.
    Both were very ordinary yesterday. Jones chased tail all game and Hanners just jogged around looking for the easy stat. Reminded me of his last season with us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    For his second AFL game Cameron did well, took a couple of solid contested marks.
    Didn't watch the game, but just 2 disposals and 3 hitouts in 90% time on ground this week.

“Refuse to Lose” is a rugby league podcast but for their fifth (and currently latest) episode they talk to Kizza for well over an hour. The early stuff like his introduction to AFL, his draft story, his early training days as a ragged cover existing ground but the later stuff like his thoughts on the Adam Goodes racism incidents, the 14 and 16 GFs, and his post football career is new (well at least it is to me)

Thanks for sharing that Ugg. It is a great listen. Goes for over an hour but worth every minute. He is a very smart articulate person.

“Refuse to Lose” is a rugby league podcast but for their fifth (and currently latest) episode they talk to Kizza for well over an hour. The early stuff like his introduction to AFL, his draft story, his early training days as a tagger cover existing ground but the later stuff like his thoughts on the Adam Goodes racism incidents, the 14 and 16 GFs, and his post football career is new (well at least it is to me)

What a great interview. Many people in from that time say they would do more if they had the chance again with Goode's, but none can say what it would be and how effective it would be. I think nothing short of refusing to play would have changed the outcome.

With the documentaries about Adam Goodes, the racism in AFL is forever cemented in History, and cant just be forgotten or ignored like the AFL admin would like it to.

This story, even if probably exaggerating its viewership in the US, just re-enforces how poor the whole saga was, and will haunt the AFL for a long, long time. In hindsight, knowing this wouldnt be forgotten, I bet they wished they did something substantial about it at the time.

‘Australia look like southern crackers’: US reacts to Adam Goodes documentary