Page 63 of 147 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Last night's episode of "The Front Bar" had cameo appearances from Troy Luff, Rod "Tilt" Carter and Tadgh Keneally during Ryan Fitzgerald's segment, which was quite funny. I was pleased to see the "Tilt" having not heard from him in many years. They showed clip of the only goal kicked in his 293 game career. He said Lou Richards gave him the "Tilt" nick name.

Andy Lee highlighted the story of South Melbourne's Ted Whitfield who received a year's suspension after that infamous 1945 bloodbath GF against Carlton. Ted had routine of drinking 6 beers before each game at nearest pub, which he'd done since he was 16. He would have his footy uniform dressed underneath his clothes so that he could stay at the pub as long as possible before going to the ground! Ted wasn't playing well in the first half of that 1945 GF and insisted he needed a beer, so the coach instructed an assistant to get him a beer from the local pub at half time!!! (Not sure that is true). Ted was reported for striking a Carlton player & swearing at the umpire, who had trouble jotting down Ted's number in his book because he ran away from him with his jumper off!!! Andy joked that at the Tribunal Ted's defence was that he was merely in the act of doing the traditional post game swapping of jumpers, even though the incident had occurred before half time.

This story of Ted endured to Mick Molloy to the extent that he'd placed a small framed photo of Ted to a permanent spot on their wall bar set.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Last night's episode of "The Front Bar" had cameo appearances from Troy Luff, Rod "Tilt" Carter and Tadgh Keneally during Ryan Fitzgerald's segment, which was quite funny. I was pleased to see the "Tilt" having not heard from him in many years. They showed clip of the only goal kicked in his 293 game career. He said Lou Richards gave him the "Tilt" nick name.

Andy Lee highlighted the story of South Melbourne's Ted Whitfield who received a year's suspension after that infamous 1945 bloodbath GF against Carlton. Ted had routine of drinking 6 beers before each game at nearest pub, which he'd done since he was 16. He would have his footy uniform dressed underneath his clothes so that he could stay at the pub as long as possible before going to the ground! Ted wasn't playing well in the first half of that 1945 GF and insisted he needed a beer, so the coach instructed an assistant to get him a beer from the local pub at half time!!! (Not sure that is true). Ted was reported for striking a Carlton player & swearing at the umpire, who had trouble jotting down Ted's number in his book because he ran away from him with his jumper off!!! Andy joked that at the Tribunal Ted's defence was that he was merely in the act of doing the traditional post game swapping of jumpers, even though the incident had occurred before half time.

This story of Ted endured to Mick Molloy to the extent that he'd placed a small framed photo of Ted to a permanent spot on their wall bar set.
    I saw all of that.....very funny especially the Ted Whitfield story.....hilarious! Fitzy is brilliant.....a very funny man. Good to see Tilt and Tadgh too.....I do enjoy The Front Bar (when I remember it's on!).

Veterans List
    This post may be out of place but this man was a past player (of cricket) and some one we all loved. Really loved.

Vale Dean Jones. Gone too soon.....way too soon. A real shock.

I only have a vague recollection of him playing for us, but Sam Fisher just won the Sandover Medal: which is the WAFL equivalent of the Brownlow. Originally from Canberra, he was rookie drafted by us in 2016 and spent a season playing mainly as a small forward. By his possession numbers, it seems that he's turned himself into a midfielder. Well done to him.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I only have a vague recollection of him playing for us, but Sam Fisher just won the Sandover Medal: which is the WAFL equivalent of the Brownlow. Originally from Canberra, he was rookie drafted by us in 2016 and spent a season playing mainly as a small forward. By his possession numbers, it seems that he's turned himself into a midfielder. Well done to him.
    Just reading up on him and sounds like he's been doing all the right things since we delisted him. VFL team of the year as HF flank, now WAFL team of the year and Sandover as an inside mid. Prides himself on being hard at the contest, clean hands and hitting targets in F50. Currently studying engineering and doing an apprenticeship.

Wonder if he would get picked up by anyone this year? I think there is alot of gold to be found amongst the mature players battling away at the level below - clubs just don't tend to go there enough (Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett, Jake Riccardi, Michael Gibbons).

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Just reading up on him and sounds like he's been doing all the right things since we delisted him. VFL team of the year as HF flank, now WAFL team of the year and Sandover as an inside mid. Prides himself on being hard at the contest, clean hands and hitting targets in F50. Currently studying engineering and doing an apprenticeship.

Wonder if he would get picked up by anyone this year? I think there is alot of gold to be found amongst the mature players battling away at the level below - clubs just don't tend to go there enough (Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett, Jake Riccardi, Michael Gibbons).
    Unfortunately, he doesn't fit into the positions that we most need to fill: KPF and ruckman. Otherwise, I'd say he would be well worth a rookie spot. Though I wonder how he'd feel, being put back on the rookie list, after already being cut from the rookie list?

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Unfortunately, he doesn't fit into the positions that we most need to fill: KPF and ruckman. Otherwise, I'd say he would be well worth a rookie spot. Though I wonder how he'd feel, being put back on the rookie list, after already being cut from the rookie list?
    He might feel like Brett Kirk.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    He might feel like Brett Kirk.
    I wonder what role Kirky is now in? I think he may have been a victim of the covid reshuffle and maybe now he has some sort of development role? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing him and Buddy share the forwards coaching role, next season. Something like a two thirds/one third split? Kirk concentrating more on defensive pressure, drills and day to day admin. While Buddy works more on attacking skills and tactics? And hopefully, Buddy also spends a bit of time playing.

Veterans List
    I wonder what role Kirky is now in? I think he may have been a victim of the covid reshuffle and maybe now he has some sort of development role? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing him and Buddy share the forwards coaching role, next season. Something like a two thirds/one third split? Kirk concentrating more on defensive pressure, drills and day to day admin. While Buddy works more on attacking skills and tactics? And hopefully, Buddy also spends a bit of time playing.
    Kirk had a development role before covid. He continued in that role and was also the team runner. I think Kirk was the forwards coach a few years back so your suggestion could happen.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Ex-player Jarred Moore is one of 6 coaches to be axed by North Melbourne.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Ex-player Jarred Moore is one of 6 coaches to be axed by North Melbourne.
    Very smart player when he played for us. Just couldn't get over the ground quickly enough.

Rhyce Shaw taking indefinite personal leave from the AFL and his coaching duties: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/shaw-to-take-a-break-from-the-game-coaching-future-in-doubt-20201016-p565tt.html .
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)