Page 89 of 145 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,057 to 1,068 of 1739

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The references to cocaine and brothels is a bit of a worry! Are there potential scandals involving current players that we were not aware of till now?
    Fair point but the Swans are probably no different to other clubs in this regard.....but the Eagles, as the Kings of Perth, took it to another level. Hopefully no one on here starts to pontificate that we are no different to them.....I'm looking at you Bangalore.

It does raise one question though......did Talia become a sacrificial lamb purely because he got caught and it became public?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Fair point but the Swans are probably no different to other clubs in this regard.....but the Eagles, as the Kings of Perth, took it to another level. Hopefully no one on here starts to pontificate that we are no different to them.....I'm looking at you Bangalore.

It does raise one question though......did Talia become a sacrificial lamb purely because he got caught and it became public?
    There was a fair outcry in 2002 when Dale Lewis made his guesstimate of maybe 75% of players having partaken in recreational drugs. At the time he was ostracised and ridiculed by many especially then AFL boss Andrew Demetriou but it didn’t take long after that to see from the Eagles that he possibly wasn’t that far from the mark.
    Anyone who has ever been around a football or other team sporting club knows that many young men have little trepidation about the consequences of their social activities.
    In a professional regimented environment I think it would be safe to assume the number of regular participants especially during the season would be much less than your local club but to think it is either non existent or a rarity is somewhat naive.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Yes. And the over-reaction was stupid. All he did was a little blow. Who cares?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    We didn’t move Nank on, Swans wanted to keep him, he was out of contract and chose to go for more guaranteed senior footy.
    As it turned out he would have had plenty of senior footy with us given Naismith’s recurring knee injuries - but that is hindsight. I’m sure Nank is very happy with his decision.
    The Toby that everyone likes! In hindsight, we should never have let him go...but that is in hindsight. Mind you, I wasn't happy when we moved him on. He would have been a true Blood.
    I think Nank's departure may also have been effected by moving away from the Roos' 2 ruckman model. With 2 metres of Tippett up forward it reduced the opportunities for a second ruckman.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    There was a fair outcry in 2002 when Dale Lewis made his guesstimate of maybe 75% of players having partaken in recreational drugs. At the time he was ostracised and ridiculed by many especially then AFL boss Andrew Demetriou but it didn’t take long after that to see from the Eagles that he possibly wasn’t that far from the mark.
    Anyone who has ever been around a football or other team sporting club knows that many young men have little trepidation about the consequences of their social activities.
    In a professional regimented environment I think it would be safe to assume the number of regular participants especially during the season would be much less than your local club but to think it is either non existent or a rarity is somewhat naive.
    Dale Lewis was ridiculed not because he was wrong, but because you've got to back up statements like that with a bit of evidence, and he didnt stump up anything.
    So even though it might be true, how could he be taken seriously.

Talia's punishment was over the top, so it must have been more than a few snorts of powder that was his reason for departure. He was involved in some sort of 'tanking' controvesity at the dogs or adelaide wasnt he?. The fact he never turned up on another list, kind of justfies the decision.

i watched Andrew Dunkley's "Open Mike" yesterday.

In some ways he comes across as a stubborn fool, and in other ways he comes across as a rational person.

His comments about not being interested in going back to the club seemed fair enough. If they'd won a premiership, reunions are all good and well. But past players dont need to go back. AFL teams are far less like 'clubs' than in the old days. They are businesses first and foremost. There is very little of a 'club' to go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

In some ways he comes across as a stubborn fool, and in other ways he comes across as a rational person.

His comments about not being interested in going back to the club seemed fair enough. If they'd won a premiership, reunions are all good and well. But past players dont need to go back. AFL teams are far less like 'clubs' than in the old days. They are businesses first and foremost. There is very little of a 'club' to go back to.
    Bloody hell.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Bloody hell.
    Thatcher like

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Thatcher like
    Absolutely. Makes you wonder why anyone would give two hoots about a footy team.

Haven’t seen the interview, but the business comments make sense. In American sport people know it’s a business, it’s ruthless and you have to keep producing.

Australia is heading that way but many people are caught up in the football club ethos of the 70s. Football clubs now are local institutions. You can feel local club connection by being involved and helping out in canteen. AFL clubs are big businesses, you pay your money and only the elite go to the aftermatch function. I’ve only been to one after match function in 20 years of supporting the club and it is as only due to my brothers connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Haven’t seen the interview, but the business comments make sense. In American sport people know it’s a business, it’s ruthless and you have to keep producing.

Australia is heading that way but many people are caught up in the football club ethos of the 70s. Football clubs now are local institutions. You can feel local club connection by being involved and helping out in canteen. AFL clubs are big businesses, you pay your money and only the elite go to the aftermatch function. I’ve only been to one after match function in 20 years of supporting the club and it is as only due to my brothers connections.
    So?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Dunkley offered a radically different narrative regarding Josh's drafting than was hypothesized on RWO at the time.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.