Page 99 of 145 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,177 to 1,188 of 1739

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Instead of heckling Dawson and being negative why not follow the example of British Cricket supporters whom loved watching Warnie play even though he never played for them.

Dawson is a great footballer to watch with a magical left foot. All football supporters should enjoy watching him play. Even better is that this talented footballer played some good football for the Swans.
    Hang on that’s a terrible analogy. How would you/we feel if Cricket Australia has nurtured Warnie for two years of not cracking a senior gig, followed by three years of him gradually becoming a superstar - and then he turns around says “I really love my Nana and she’s a Pom so I’m going to play for England now… see you on Boxing Day.” How would you feel? It’s fine to appreciate opposition players. Pretty much every sports fan can do that. Betrayal is different.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    It’s fine to appreciate opposition players. Pretty much every sports fan can do that. Betrayal is different.
    It’s fine to appreciate opposition players. It’s nauseating to be told we have to.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Hang on that’s a terrible analogy. How would you/we feel if Cricket Australia has nurtured Warnie for two years of not cracking a senior gig, followed by three years of him gradually becoming a superstar - and then he turns around says “I really love my Nana and she’s a Pom so I’m going to play for England now… see you on Boxing Day.” How would you feel? It’s fine to appreciate opposition players. Pretty much every sports fan can do that. Betrayal is different.
    Dawson did not betray anybody. His contract had expired and he made a decision to take up a different contractual offer with a different organisation.

It’s the free market at work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    It’s fine to appreciate opposition players. It’s nauseating to be told we have to.
    Maybe I’m encouraging the Dawson knockers to be better versions of themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Dawson did not betray anybody. His contract had expired and he made a decision to take up a different contractual offer with a different organisation.

It’s the free market at work.
    I have to disagree with your viewpoint about the betrayal aspect. Dawson clearly said that Swans' supporters had nothing to worry about when asked about his re-signing. Either he was lying or changed his mind. If it was the latter, than his word doesn't mean much; thus some supporters feel betrayed. If he was always going to leave, then he is a liar.

I have no issue with Dawson taking up another contract. But, we as supporters were blindsided and it seems the club was too.

I don't think I'd personally heckle him, but I don't wish him well either. I've moved on, and understand the bitterness might linger longer for others.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    That’s quite disrespectful to a person who has given you as a supporter all he had from 2016-2021.
    I think your outrage would have been better directed critiquing the lameness of my joke.

I mean, I did all the hard work deconstructing the precise elements of Bloodspirit's original post, noting how the exact use of 'heckle' and 'better suggestions' lent itself to reinterpretation and a follow up. But then, the best I could muster was a reference to rotten tomatoes?! So predictable, so unimaginative. Almost dad-joke level stuff.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Barry Hall about to take on SBW in the Turf War.

Important night for AFL football.

Barry Hall about to take on SBW in the Turf War.

Important night for AFL football.
    Why is it important for AFL football? Its just two ex-footballers having a fight for money. I assume you're joking?

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Why is it important for AFL football? Its just two ex-footballers having a fight for money. I assume you're joking?

Maybe I’m believing the hype.

I think it’s important. I grew up in NSW with people calling AFL all sorts of inappropriate names and openly saying that AFL football is not tough.

The stereotype of AFL not being tough is still pushed along by some Rugby League and Rugby Union supporters.

Barry wins tonight against a League and Union superstar then it could alter the perception of same people whom think AFL Is not tough.

I think it’s important. I grew up in NSW with people calling AFL all sorts of inappropriate names and openly saying that AFL football is not tough.

The stereotype of AFL not being tough is still pushed along by some Rugby League and Rugby Union supporters.

Barry wins tonight against a League and Union superstar then it could alter the perception of same people whom think AFL Is not tough.
    That fight lasted less time than it took to read all your posts about it. Both endeavours a complete waste of my time

Times have changed BS. AFL is no longer a dirty word in NSW. I think there's several reasons for this (not in any order): a focus on getting AFL into schools, the rise of the Swans' over the past couple of decades, having a series of marquee forwards, different cultures between RL and AFL (from Plugger through to Buddy) et al.

Who really cares what League and Union supporters think? The ones I know have typically had too many head knocks from playing thugby. I find League in particular to be so one dimensional and barbaric. But you shouldn't care what I think either. My opinion is subjective.

A fight between two ex-footballers cannot and should not be emblematic of a code's superiority. Those who subscribe to such a point of view (in my humble opinion) have nothing more than school-yard logic.

Senior Player
    What sort of morons take boxing seriously anyway? Especially an exhibition fight

Senior Player
    There does seem to be a bit of a market these days for ex footballers who fancy themselves as boxers to fight each other.
    I would think it's the pay packet that is the main thing that puts them into the ring. They are not alone and its likely neither
    Barry or Williams will ever fight enough to do the sort of damage many long-term boxers have to contend with. Which is
    good for them I guess. It's interesting just how far boxing has fallen in the public's estimation in the last 40-50 years. It
    was such a big deal in Ali's heyday. Then again, maybe it was just Ali himself and what unique and charismatic person he
    was that elevated the sport at the time. Anyway, I don't begrudge Barry's attempt to make a few bucks. He's the one
    who has to wake up with the big headache this morning.