Page 37 of 145 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I think you have missed my point.
    Probably because your point wasn’t very clear. It’s much clearer below

This writeup is on an Irish online sports site, with an emphasis on Irish sportspeople, presumably predominantly read by Irish people and ex-pats, about Tommy playing Gaelic football.

I love the fact that the Sydney Swans are so well known in football circles in Ireland that Tommy is referred to as ‘the former Sydney Swans player’ with no need for further explanation about what that means.

On another occasion on RWO I told my anecdote of telling an Irish man sitting in a carpark with his menagerie of pet animals on the coast in the Ring of Kerry that I was from Australia - and he immediately said ‘Sydney Swans’!

The Irish love their football!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I think you have missed my point. This writeup is on an Irish online sports site, with an emphasis on Irish sportspeople, presumably predominantly read by Irish people and ex-pats, about Tommy playing Gaelic football.

I love the fact that the Sydney Swans are so well known in football circles in Ireland that Tommy is referred to as ‘the former Sydney Swans player’ with no need for further explanation about what that means.

On another occasion on RWO I told my anecdote of telling an Irish man sitting in a carpark with his menagerie of pet animals on the coast in the Ring of Kerry that I was from Australia - and he immediately said ‘Sydney Swans’!

The Irish love their football!
    Nice one Meg - I hadn't seen it before.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    LISTEN: Why more draftees aren't making an immediate impact - AFL.com.au

ROK is the guest on an AFL podcast this week. He talks about his role coaching at NAB League level, about his time as a development coach at the Crows, and a little about his playing career (mostly from the perspective of how what he learned there helps him in his current role). Worth a listen.

Veterans List
    Attachment 2252

Just back from seeing the Australian Dream at the Randwick Ritz. Powerful film and both Adam and Stan spoke very well. Adam seems in a happy, confident space.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Attachment 2252

Just back from seeing the Australian Dream at the Randwick Ritz. Powerful film and both Adam and Stan spoke very well. Adam seems in a happy, confident space.
    I agree - Adam seemed very content with life right now. The film broke my heart as did Adam's comment that he can't see himself ever being involved in AFL again. He said that he can't even watch footage of himself in his playing days as it reminds him of the great passion he used to have for the game and how that is now completely gone. After seeing The Final Quarter at the SFF I was mad. After seeing TAD last night I'm just so, so sad.

The part that stayed with me was when they showed a re-enactment of sorts of Adam going back to country. When he was sitting around the fire with the elders and they were talking about how the Aboriginal history is an oral history. One elder said (badly paraphrasing, my memory isn't great): "The thing with oral stories is that you have to wait until people are ready to listen to pass on the story. When people are ready to listen is when they learn the most". Stan and Adam were both optimistic that Australia is really close to being ready to listen to the story of Aboriginal history - our history. I don't carry the same optimism, but I hope they're right.

On a lighter note, Goodesy mentioned that his team just won the Div 2 basketball premiership at Sydney Boys High. His teammates include Brett Kirk and Michael O'Loughlin. Can you imagine rocking up to play a game of park basketball and seeing those guys ready to go? I'd suggest a beer instead I think!
    Life's not a spectator sport

I was at the screening at the Ritz last night too. Great film! Liked it even better than The Final Quarter. It felt like we saw a bit more commentary and personal stuff from Goodes behind the scenes rather than just the public footage that had already been aired. Was also a story with a bit more trajectory. I'm glad they included substantial comments from Andrew Bolt and commentary from Sam Newman and Eddie Maguire. It's good to have given them a fair hearing and so the audience can make their own determination of the merits of the respective arguments.

Goodsey urged us to combat casual racism and perhaps to defriend our mates who aren't willing to take on board our concerns about their racism (correct me if I misunderstood - he wasn't categorical). I agree with confronting casual racism, not so sure about de-friending. Speaking up is important and staying silent does allow bigotry to flourish. I have dear friends who make racist (and sexist) comments. It bothers me. I have raised the issue with them (but not every time they do it) and they don't see things the same way I do and so they are likely to keep doing it. To me, it doesn't seem productive to end the friendship over it. In particular, I'm not convinced it helps to make for a less racist society. Of course, I might feel differently if I was one of the people disparaged by their comments. Not sure what others think?

I was impressed by Stan Grant - he is articulate and eloquent. He's come a long, long way since his A Current Affair days (and I don't mean he wasn't good then - I never watched it - but literally he has worked around the world covering conflict and other stuff for nearly 20 years, seen a lot, returned to Australia about 5 years ago and is about to leave again to resume working abroad). He came across as statesmanlike. Good for him. He's earned it.

I fully agree with you, Mel, that it was terribly, terribly sad to hear how Adam doesn't even like to see footage of himself playing footy because it reminds him of how much he used to love the game and how that's just not there any more and how sad he feels about that. It was a small consolation that he still professes his love for the club and that he feels we have always supported him. I commend him for his wisdom in knowing what he wants and can handle by choosing to save his time for those he knows will love and care for him and not expose himself to haters when he doesn't need to.

On a different note, here is an article from another former Indigenous player, Shaun Edwards: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/shau...meant-nothing/. Particularly of interest is that it was his decision to end his career and we were ready to offer him another contract. He explains that despite all the glamour and perks of being a footy player, when he returned to his roots in the Territory everything was the same as when he was growing up (i.e. endemic disadvantage) and his footy career just didn't feel that meaningful to him. He is also lost his passion for the game despite being able bodied chose to leave. Instead he is now working mentoring marginalised kids from around the world from high school into university, including Indigenous kids in Australia. Good on you, Shane. Go well.

I noticed that Jude is appearing on The Real Dirty Dancing show on channel 7. He must be a great dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post

On a lighter note, Goodesy mentioned that his team just won the Div 2 basketball premiership at Sydney Boys High. His teammates include Brett Kirk and Michael O'Loughlin. Can you imagine rocking up to play a game of park basketball and seeing those guys ready to go? I'd suggest a beer instead I think!
    Yeh I remember seeing a picture on Instagram (Mickey O's account I think) about them winning it last year perhaps (or making a grand final or something) and thinking just that. I'd be like 'stuff this' - lets find a pub for a drink!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

If you haven’t seen the second Adam Goodes film, ‘The Australian Dream’, then I highly recommend it. Very powerful and very well made.

Also if you are a member and go as a twosome this weekend you can get the following special deal:

‘Palace Cinemas has proudly teamed up with Madman Entertainment to invite AFL members across the country to attend screenings of The Australian Dream with a special 2-for-1 ticket offer when you show your current AFL or AFL Club Membership*.
    Available this weekend only (Aug 29 – Sep 1)!’

I saw the Australian Dream last month at the MFF. There was a Q&A after with the director Daniel Gordon, who informed filming began last October and they ended up with several hundred hours of footage which they had to edit down to a couple of hours. They cut out interviews they'd done with Gill McLachlan because they decided it just didn't flow with the rest of the film. Daniel is English who wasn't familiar with the AFL or Adam Goodes but that all changed when the booing saga made headliness which drew his interest into the background to of all this.

Heard Stan Grant being interviewed by Whately on SEN this morning, who mentioned he & Goodes will be travelling to the States & UK presenting this documentary at various film festivals.

I also thought this doco was more powerful than the Final Quarter because it was more far reaching than just the booing the saga even though there is some overlap. It delves much deeper at a personal level with various well known indigenous sport stars. The hand clapping for Goodes at that game against Adelaide was very emotional to experience again in the way it was presented in this doco. Must see.

Veterans List
    Got to thinking about how many former captains are on the Swans staff.

Dennis Caroll
    Stuey Maxfield
    Tom Harley
    Brett kirk
    Jarrad McVeigh

Is there any more I haven't thought of? What is KJ doing in retirement?