Page 14 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Paul was great on the show tonight. Even Mick Molloy seemed to have a special admiration for him as a player and person, as they were genuinely excited to have him on as he rarely does media appearances these days.They showed Kelly's playing highlights which included his fearless kamikaze attacks on the ball and spectacular pack marks, which makes you so wish he was still playing! Lots of laughs and loved the story when Kelly bumped into his wife during the ground invasion after Plugger had kicked his 1300th!

Still being close mates with Plugger, the panel asked Kelly to put in a good word for them to get him on the show as they've been unsuccessful doing so. Kelly said there was zero chance of Plugger coming onto the show. Well worth viewing if you get the chance of downloading tonight's show.
    I was told on the weekend that he's back involved with the Wagga Tigers and helping provide some guidance down there which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I was told on the weekend that he's back involved with the Wagga Tigers and helping provide some guidance down there which is good.
    He always kept involved. Coached the Tigers I believe. Took an interest in and coached one Harry Cunningham. In fact recommended the Swans pick him up.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Good for GWS too as the golden Wagga region is in their zone. 😔

Senior Player
    Nice of Gary Rohan to have a crack at the Swans after all the support he was provided with over the years at the club. I didn’t see the program referenced so not sure what was said but it sounds like he was aware that Sydney were expecting a return on their patience ?
    AFL legend’s blockbuster Franklin call

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Nice of Gary Rohan to have a crack at the Swans after all the support he was provided with over the years at the club. I didn’t see the program referenced so not sure what was said but it sounds like he was aware that Sydney were expecting a return on their patience ?
    It’s not much of a crack to be fair. Might be a fair indication of the culture up there at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was walking on egg shells because he wasn't getting a game in the seniors.

But it could also be a culture of no risk taking, in which case it's time to inject new blood into the leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    It’s not much of a crack to be fair. Might be a fair indication of the culture up there at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont know if it really is a reflection of the culture, more an indication possibly of the swans impatience with Rohan. They supported him through years of rehabilitation and probably they (as well as many of us) expected him to go to the next level. Instead all we saw were glimpses of brilliance intermingled with not much at all.

Good luck to him at Geelong and if he does go to the next level then so be it but I dont think you can judge it on the honeymoon period he is currently in at Geelong. The reality is that going home, being among family and a familiar environment can often do wonders for people and correspondingly improved performance can come , but for me , the real test will come when he is in a final and truly under pressure to perform - that has been his underlying weakness at the swans.

Senior Player
    Regardless of his form/performance, that comment is hardly a ringing endorsement for the club, particularly when he had the personal tragedy a the beginning of the yea.

I would have thought the club would do everything in their power to ensure that he felt supported

I agree that the club has supported him a lot over the years, and the reality was that they just simply ran out of patience (like a lot of us here). That would explain the "walking on egg shells comment". He needed to really deliver last year to stay on the list, and he wasnt.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I agree that the club has supported him a lot over the years, and the reality was that they just simply ran out of patience (like a lot of us here). That would explain the "walking on egg shells comment". He needed to really deliver last year to stay on the list, and he wasnt.
    You don't feel he needed a bit of support after the death of his baby? I would've thought regardless of his on field form the club would be doing everything it could to support him through what would've been a really traumatic experience.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much out of him last year as a personal tragedy like that is much bigger than a game of football. For him to say he felt like he was walking on eggshells is a blight on the club

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Feeling like he was 'walking on eggshells' during his last season with the Swans is hardly having a crack. More media beatup.....with Caro a willing participant. Rohan should have felt like he was walking on eggshells after the years of the club waiting for him to deliver on his promise. Eight years.....sure he had his broken leg but he'd recovered from that years ago. Pity, under those circumstances he couldn't pull his finger out and deliver....the club was right to let him go. Good luck to him at Geelong but he'd made his bed at the Swans and has no one to blame but himself.....
    Last edited by stevoswan; 17th April 2019 at 01:07 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    You don't feel he needed a bit of support after the death of his baby? I would've thought regardless of his on field form the club would be doing everything it could to support him through what would've been a really traumatic experience.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much out of him last year as a personal tragedy like that is much bigger than a game of football. For him to say he felt like he was walking on eggshells is a blight on the club
    Are you implying they didn't support him? Long bow.....

The 'walking on eggshells' comment would have been in regard to his form and that ball was totally in his court. If he was putting himself up for selection thereby indicating he was emotionally ok to play, his personal tragedy becomes irrelevant to his form. The club was very patient and supportive.....and he couldn't deliver. I'm happy he's happy at Geelong, they are a great club but so are the Swans.....and they don't deserve the implication your presenting here.

It is very easy for Gary to say what he is saying while his former club struggles and his new club sits atop the ladder.....and for you to accept the Melbourne media spin on his comment is disappointing. I would say the 'eggshells' he was walking on were entirely of his own making. Gary's gone.....get over it.