Page 48 of 145 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Daniel Menzel has headed back to his home town Adelaide and signed with SANFL club Central District, after being delisted by the Swans and failing to be picked up by another AFL club. He will play with one of his brothers, Troy Menzel, at Central.

Former Geelong, Sydney forward returns to SANFL club

I saw jake brown at training with sydney uni neafl

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Daniel Menzel has headed back to his home town Adelaide and signed with SANFL club Central District, after being delisted by the Swans and failing to be picked up by another AFL club. He will play with one of his brothers, Troy Menzel, at Central.

Former Geelong, Sydney forward returns to SANFL club
    The great experiement of purservearing with serious injury prone players seems to have come to the conclusion that its just not worth it.
    AJ, Menzel kept on lists for a long time. But never came good again. I doubt any club will try that again.
    Add Patton shifted off for a pair of steakknives to Hawthorn will be an interesting case study. Doubt he'll kick on to a meaningful career.

Senior Player
    Except Paton has gone to Hawthorn who seem to be masters at taking broken players and making them good again. Currently they have O’Meara and Scully playing and now they add Paton

That is after what they did with Burgoyne

Senior Player
    Yet they couldn’t get Birchall on the park for 3 years and O’Rourkes hamstrings never came good either so they don’t win then all

Even of those you listed, O’Meara effectively had 3 seasons off, including 1 at the hawks, and Scully looks cooked

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The great experiement of purservearing with serious injury prone players seems to have come to the conclusion that its just not worth it.
    AJ, Menzel kept on lists for a long time. But never came good again. I doubt any club will try that again.
    That’s a bit unfair on Menzel. He had groin surgery late last year which meant he had no pre-season for 2019. He didn’t get injured during the season and has said he has never felt fitter than he does currently.

Had Gray not become available I believe the Swans would have kept Menzel on our list. I also think there is a strong chance he will star in the SANFL which might leave us feeling a bit sad about what might have been.

That said I also think Gray is an excellent pick-up.

Dan Menzel is an excellent footballer and there's every chance he will light up the SANFL. However, I seem to recall him saying something like he had never felt better when we first signed him and before he required surgery also.

Menzel on SEN talking about how hard it is being an injured footballer: When being an AFL footballer can become "one of the worst" jobs.

“Former Swan and Cat Dan Menzel has set his sights on proving to AFL clubs he is worth considering in the 2020 mid-season draft as he attacks a pre-season injury free for the first time since he injured his knee in 2011.”

“The 28-year-old has joined SANFL club Central District as a player and non-match day assistant coach”

“I had five or six weeks off and then got back into running and training and I was amazed how my body actually felt, as I genuinely felt like what everyone else feels like normally. I don't have pain, I don't have soreness, I don't have anything. I have never felt this since the first two years of my career," Menzel said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p53q78.html

I was surprised when Menzel was delisted as I wanted to see how he would go after being to complete a full preseason, which he appears to able to do now. But I guess the club had in mind to get Sam Gray and Taylor which stamped his papers.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    His recruitment was a little strange, I'd have thought Heywood's presence made Menzel a bit superfluous.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I was surprised when Menzel was delisted as I wanted to see how he would go after being to complete a full preseason, which he appears to able to do now. But I guess the club had in mind to get Sam Gray and Taylor which stamped his papers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    His recruitment was a little strange, I'd have thought Heywood's presence made Menzel a bit superfluous.
    Menzel, when fit, is a serious talent. A serious talent. I was not surprised they recruited him and once he was, strange or not, I thought he was worth persevering with....and I would have thought that Menzel, at his best, was a better prospect than the at the time 'not always consistent' Haywood.

When the club knew he had his first ever full pre season ahead of him this season, I would have thought they would have stuck with him, even been a little excited at the prospect of a fully fit Dan Menzel but it appears his papers were already stamped "Injury liability". Sam Reid, you have been lucky......

It's a real pity and a decision I hope the club doesn't end up regretting.....and with Haywood, Papley and Ronke already at the club, Gray and Taylor have a lot to prove. A real lot.