Page 59 of 147 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With the documentaries about Adam Goodes, the racism in AFL is forever cemented in History, and cant just be forgotten or ignored like the AFL admin would like it to.

This story, even if probably exaggerating its viewership in the US, just re-enforces how poor the whole saga was, and will haunt the AFL for a long, long time. In hindsight, knowing this wouldnt be forgotten, I bet they wished they did something substantial about it at the time.

‘Australia look like southern crackers’: US reacts to Adam Goodes documentary
    Thanks, barry. Interesting to see those views and tweets. I agree with you that the documentaries have made it harder to forget, ignore, or sweep under the carpet this ignominious side of Australian society.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With the documentaries about Adam Goodes, the racism in AFL is forever cemented in History, and cant just be forgotten or ignored like the AFL admin would like it to.

This story, even if probably exaggerating its viewership in the US, just re-enforces how poor the whole saga was, and will haunt the AFL for a long, long time. In hindsight, knowing this wouldnt be forgotten, I bet they wished they did something substantial about it at the time.

‘Australia look like southern crackers’: US reacts to Adam Goodes documentary
    Did I read that Eddie McGuire is hosting an AFL show aimed at US audiences? Surely not in light of his comments re Goodes and in the present BLM environment,

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Did I read that Eddie McGuire is hosting an AFL show aimed at US audiences? Surely not in light of his comments re Goodes and in the present BLM environment,
    Yes unfortunately you read correctly. He infuriates me every time I see him. The other week he was back tracking about the King Kong comments saying the words came out wrong. I wanted to throw my remote at the tv!

It is interesting reading the comments from Americans as they don't have background knowledge of the situation.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Yes unfortunately you read correctly. He infuriates me every time I see him. The other week he was back tracking about the King Kong comments saying the words came out wrong. I wanted to throw my remote at the tv!

It is interesting reading the comments from Americans as they don't have background knowledge of the situation.
    Surely his involvement will come out.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Surely he wouldn't be that stupid? The American press/public would only need to get a whiff of what he said about Goodesy! Or find out that he was the boss of the club where Heritier Lumumba was racially abused. And the American media would have the guts to do what the AFL, Collingwood, Fox and Channel 9 didn't.

Senior Player

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    You beat me to it. So sad. Surely it's time for him to call it a day. His mental strength during his career has been amazing. I have no doubt that had he had an injury free career that he would be the backman in our team.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 26th June 2020 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    You beat me to it. So sad. Surely it's time for him to call it a day. His mental strength during his career has been amazing. I have no doubt that had he had an injury free career that he would be the backman in our team.
    That. Is. Tragic.

I have been scouring the Internet but can’t find an answer. Surely. Surely. AJ must hold the world record for the most ACL injuries ever?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    This is beyond sad it's almost masochistic
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Really sad but somehow not surprising. Seventh ACL.....must be a record. Unluckiest Premiership player ever.

Lloyd Perris recently appointed head coach of Knox Grammar School.

Veteran Site Admin
    AFL star bringing top-notch footy to far-flung communities

Feel good story about what Shaun Edwards is up to.