Page 90 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,069 to 1,080 of 1756

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Review of Brandon Jack's warts and all memoir: Book Review - Brandon Jack "28" - The Mongrel Punt.
    I think that is a fair review of the book. The book is kind of all over the place, it's hard to know what to make of it. In the end, I just
    felt a bit sorry for the bloke. He just seemed like a person who has struggled with life a bit. Anyway, hopefully that situation has changed as
    he speaks very positively at the end of his relationship with his partner and how great she is. It is a strange book though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Dale Lewis was ridiculed not because he was wrong, but because you've got to back up statements like that with a bit of evidence, and he didnt stump up anything.
    So even though it might be true, how could he be taken seriously.
    To be fair to Lewis it was an opinion or observation that he offered not a fact based assessment. It’s very likely that if evidence was required before offering up an opinion then the world of news and in particular non traditional media would be lacking a lot of content and be a much quieter environment. This site for example would probably grind to a halt😀
    History will probably continue to reflect on his comments more positively than how they were initially received.

i watched Andrew Dunkley's "Open Mike" yesterday.

In some ways he comes across as a stubborn fool, and in other ways he comes across as a rational person.

His comments about not being interested in going back to the club seemed fair enough. If they'd won a premiership, reunions are all good and well. But past players dont need to go back. AFL teams are far less like 'clubs' than in the old days. They are businesses first and foremost. There is very little of a 'club' to go back to.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I think that is a fair review of the book. The book is kind of all over the place, it's hard to know what to make of it. In the end, I just
    felt a bit sorry for the bloke. He just seemed like a person who has struggled with life a bit. Anyway, hopefully that situation has changed as
    he speaks very positively at the end of his relationship with his partner and how great she is. It is a strange book though.
    Does the book go into the family conflict of Brendan, Kieran and their parents?

Has that situation evolved since 2019?

Veterans List
    Talia's punishment was over the top, so it must have been more than a few snorts of powder that was his reason for departure. He was involved in some sort of 'tanking' controvesity at the dogs or adelaide wasnt he?. The fact he never turned up on another list, kind of justfies the decision.
    He was accused of providing the Bulldogs game plan to his brother before they were due to play Adelaide. I think it may have been the Elimination Final.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Does the book go into the family conflict of Brendan, Kieran and their parents?

Has that situation evolved since 2019?
    Yes, the book does go into the family conflict. He hasn't seen his parents for some years.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Certainly agree its a bit all over the place - but my take is that creates a genuine honesty to it as well, accurately reflecting the bit of a rollercoaster he has been on. I think he has like many people do in their early to mid 20s, found it hard to know who they are in life, especially when the 'big thing' doesn't eventuate in terms of the footy career he hoped to have.

I enjoy hearing him talk about his experiences, probably more than reading some of the more awkward and challenging parts of the book - his chat with Phil Davis is well worth a listen on his podcast. Seems to be headed in a good way and finding his place in life, which by the sounds of it is including footy again at the local level which is great.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Certainly agree its a bit all over the place - but my take is that creates a genuine honesty to it as well, accurately reflecting the bit of a rollercoaster he has been on. I think he has like many people do in their early to mid 20s, found it hard to know who they are in life, especially when the 'big thing' doesn't eventuate in terms of the footy career he hoped to have.

I enjoy hearing him talk about his experiences, probably more than reading some of the more awkward and challenging parts of the book - his chat with Phil Davis is well worth a listen on his podcast. Seems to be headed in a good way and finding his place in life, which by the sounds of it is including footy again at the local level which is great.
    I’ve read some of Brandon’s articles. They seem similar to Luke Abletts articles. Both those guys write progressive, deep articles with some Karl Rogers flair (Ludwig would be all over Karl Rogers). There articles make me feel like I’m listening to Dawson from Dawson’s Creek. Very deep, plenty of feeling, well researched and self aware.

I wonder why Jack and Ablett from famous sporting families are going down this deep sensitive direction. Would it not be easier for them to go down a path of professional sports person whom can look after themselves (cooking and cleaning), financially literate, having a laugh with the boys and entertaining women with good champagne.

Why are they being these deep sensitive souls. I was interested to read an article about Warrick Cappers son who was giving the old man a character reading for his chauvinistic behaviour towards women.

I wonder what is happening in modern masculinity.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It's "Leo Barry, You Star!" Anniversary Day. Enjoy the glory of it again and again.

Leo Barry mark 2005 AFL Grand Final Sydney Swans MCG - YouTube
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It's "Leo Barry, You Star!" Anniversary Day. Enjoy the glory of it again and again.

Leo Barry mark 2005 AFL Grand Final Sydney Swans MCG - YouTube
    Not the most spectacular mark ever taken but I maintain that it is easily the most significant mark in VFL/AFL history.

And accompanied by some inspired commentary from Stephen Quartermain.

Will never tire of watching it!!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I’ve read some of Brandon’s articles. They seem similar to Luke Abletts articles. Both those guys write progressive, deep articles with some Karl Rogers flair (Ludwig would be all over Karl Rogers). There articles make me feel like I’m listening to Dawson from Dawson’s Creek. Very deep, plenty of feeling, well researched and self aware.

I wonder why Jack and Ablett from famous sporting families are going down this deep sensitive direction. Would it not be easier for them to go down a path of professional sports person whom can look after themselves (cooking and cleaning), financially literate, having a laugh with the boys and entertaining women with good champagne.

Why are they being these deep sensitive souls. I was interested to read an article about Warrick Cappers son who was giving the old man a character reading for his chauvinistic behaviour towards women.

I wonder what is happening in modern masculinity.
    From citing Dawson's Creek to wondering what's happened to modern masculinity.

This is quite a post.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    They have all the old editions of "Open Mike" up on Kayo at the moment. I watched the shows with Mike Pyke, Paul Roos, Dale
    Lewis and Andrew Ireland this arvo (yep, it's all happening here in the KTigers abode). Anyway, they are worth checking out
    again if you have the time.

They have all the old editions of "Open Mike" up on Kayo at the moment. I watched the shows with Mike Pyke, Paul Roos, Dale
    Lewis and Andrew Ireland this arvo (yep, it's all happening here in the KTigers abode). Anyway, they are worth checking out
    again if you have the time.
    Thanks KT for the heads up - my podcast/video list is running short so will take a look
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."