Page 93 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,105 to 1,116 of 1739

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Spangher is a premiership legend, just not for us.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I was listening to that Kevin Sheahan interview on SEN at that time who also named Adam Goodes as the best draft steal taken at pick 43.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The references to cocaine and brothels is a bit of a worry! Are there potential scandals involving current players that we were not aware of till now?
    Having just finished the book, that review exaggerates those issues a bit. The only time that Brandon really describes doing cocaine, was the night he won the 2019 Sydney AFL premiership with the Bulldogs. And then, it seemed more of a personal thing, rather than a team activity. Although, he did mention once failing a drug test while with the Swans, after a trace amount of cocaine was found in his hair follicles. Apparently he told the psychologist at the Swans, that this was the result of some unknown contamination. Not sure if really buy that, but there's no mention of any other drug test being failed, so it probably wasn't a regular thing.

Much the same with the brothels. There's only one seedy episode mentioned, where after some full on binge drinking, he and a few team mates ended up at a Surry Hills establishment. I can't really recall if he named who he was with, but once again, it seems to be a one-off.

That being said, it did surprise me how destructive some of his in-season binge drinking was. I've generally assumed, that most full time athletes wouldn't get uncontrollably smashed, but it seems that I was wrong. And it surprised me even more, that during some binges, he also was chain smoking cigarettes. I just assumed that any professional sportsperson would stay well clear of tobacco?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Having just finished the book, that review exaggerates those issues a bit. The only time that Brandon really describes doing cocaine, was the night he won the 2019 Sydney AFL premiership with the Bulldogs. And then, it seemed more of a personal thing, rather than a team activity. Although, he did mention once failing a drug test while with the Swans, after a trace amount of cocaine was found in his hair follicles. Apparently he told the psychologist at the Swans, that this was the result of some unknown contamination. Not sure if really buy that, but there's no mention of any other drug test being failed, so it probably wasn't a regular thing.

Much the same with the brothels. There's only one seedy episode mentioned, where after some full on binge drinking, he and a few team mates ended up at a Surry Hills establishment. I can't really recall if he named who he was with, but once again, it seems to be a one-off.

That being said, it did surprise me how destructive some of his in-season binge drinking was. I've generally assumed, that most full time athletes wouldn't get uncontrollably smashed, but it seems that I was wrong. And it surprised me even more, that during some binges, he also was chain smoking cigarettes. I just assumed that any professional sportsperson would stay well clear of tobacco?
    Thanks for the insights from the book, Dejavoo. It sounds like Brandon really struggled with the pressures of being an elite athlete and being on the fringes of team selection. He turned to these substances as a release and binged on them at times. He would not be the first player to do this but it can be a slippery slope eg Ben Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Thanks for the insights from the book, Dejavoo. It sounds like Brandon really struggled with the pressures of being an elite athlete and being on the fringes of team selection. He turned to these substances as a release and binged on them at times. He would not be the first player to do this but it can be a slippery slope eg Ben Cousins.
    It's actually a really psychologically interesting book, and I plan to write a fairly lengthy post on that, when I have a bit more time: and when I have a clearer idea of what I want to say.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Every single player in a premiership year, not just the side on the day, for our club is a legend to me.

Hell, Luke Vogels is a legend to me.

So to Mummy, thank you, you big, magnificent, brutal beast.

As an aside, no human being has ever been as drunk as he was the morning after at the fan day in Melbourne. Check this out

Shane Mumford 2012 AFL Grand Final Morning After - YouTube

(
    Yes to all of this.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Would be great if Jack got re-drafted, even if it was by another club. Always felt we didn't give him a good run.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Mumford has nominated for the draft, speculation it's an mid year draft insurance policy
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Mumford has nominated for the draft, speculation it's an mid year draft insurance policy
    Sure it is and nothing more.

Good to see Malbaum having another go at getting drafted too - never quite got his chance at the Swans.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Sure it is and nothing more.

Good to see Malbaum having another go at getting drafted too - never quite got his chance at the Swans.
    Agreed about Jack. From what the article suggests, he has not been directly interviewed by any Clubs? This would not seem to be a good sign for his prospects. Maybe someone will rookie him.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    No Cookies | Herald Sun

Would be great if Jack got re-drafted, even if it was by another club. Always felt we didn't give him a good run.
    To be fair, I think it was more injury and dumb luck.

My understanding is his ending to 2018 was superb, he was tracking beautifully through the pre-season and he was all but locked in for a run in early 2019, then he did his knee, then COVID hit and disrupted his ability to get a sustained run back at it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say