Thread: Changing the Rules

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Changing the Rules

Jake Niall's article makes interesting reading. Normally I gripe about fiddling with rule changes but on this occasion I think there are moves in the right direction.

But I don't want the enlarged goal area.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...10-p50ld7.html
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    I read they are going to crack down on the Toby Greene kick. Am looking forward to that!

I caught an old state of origin game on foxtel a few weeks ago. At least a dozen toby-greene-kicks in that game.
    Rule makers jumping at shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I caught an old state of origin game on foxtel a few weeks ago. At least a dozen toby-greene-kicks in that game.
    Seriously?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yet again.....who's surprised with that opinion? Oh, just happens to involve a Giants player.....well blow me down with a feather!

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Jake Niall's article makes interesting reading. Normally I gripe about fiddling with rule changes but on this occasion I think there are moves in the right direction.

But I don't want the enlarged goal area.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...10-p50ld7.html
    Another article on the rule changes that I found interesting goes under the heading "Which players and clubs will have the edge from footy's new rules?" (Herald Sun). It indicates Champion Data rates Jarrad McVeigh as the league's third-best exponent of the kick-in from the goal-square, but seems to suggest he is unlikely to use pace to take advantage of the new rule that allows the player taking the kick-in to leave the goal-square without touching ball to boot. Others with more tactical nous than I have might care to comment on how the rule changes may affect the Bloods' tactics in the coming season, and particularly where we might most take advantage of the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Another article on the rule changes that I found interesting goes under the heading "Which players and clubs will have the edge from footy's new rules?" (Herald Sun). It indicates Champion Data rates Jarrad McVeigh as the league's third-best exponent of the kick-in from the goal-square, but seems to suggest he is unlikely to use pace to take advantage of the new rule that allows the player taking the kick-in to leave the goal-square without touching ball to boot. Others with more tactical nous than I have might care to comment on how the rule changes may affect the Bloods' tactics in the coming season, and particularly where we might most take advantage of the changes.
    Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Does anyone know what the penalty will be for having a player/s not in the right position/s at a centre bounce under the 6-6-6 rule?

A free kick to the opposition taken from the centre circle, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yet again.....who's surprised with that opinion? Oh, just happens to involve a Giants player.....well blow me down with a feather!
    What a stupid ill- informed post.
    I can barely believe your typing fingers were willing contributors to that brain spasm.
    I hate all rule changes equally, but none more equally than ones born from knee jerk reactions.
    You choose to hate people, I just hate bureaucracy gone mad.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Does anyone know what the penalty will be for having a player/s not in the right position/s at a centre bounce under the 6-6-6 rule?

A free kick to the opposition taken from the centre circle, perhaps?
    Good question Meg. I don't think I've read anything where it outlines what the penalty will be.

Buddy will be happy with the 'hands in the back' rule being abolished because he has been penalised a few times after taking a mark due to that rule.

If it is a free kick from the centre circle, I wonder if all the players will have to assume the 6-6-6 formation while the free kick is taken. If not in a tight match, seconds left, it might be worth giving away a tactical free kick in order to be able to stack your defence line full of players.

Hmmm ... these rule changes might see some interesting new tactics emerge.