Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Co-Captains

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yeah, from a distance I wouldn't have picked Papley as an obvious leader in the group. Maybe he's the representative from the larrikin group.
    Troublemakers always have to sit at the front of the class, perhaps...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Troublemakers always have to sit at the front of the class, perhaps...:-)

Yeah, from a distance I wouldn't have picked Papley as an obvious leader in the group. Maybe he's the representative from the larrikin group.
    Maybe there is more to Tom than meets the eye from the casual observer.

I’ve been fortunate to have a few good chats with Tom

If there is a larrikin in the group it is by far sam Naismith - very funny guy

And Hayward certainly has the glint in his eyes and is ready to laugh along and stir

I found Tom Papley to be quite sincere actually and a fairly sensitive personality

Tom certainly changes is personality come game day though

I half agree with you. Rampe and Parker have been vice captains for the last couple of seasons, and I don't think their elevation to co-captains should really make any difference to their onfield leadership, nor much to their role around the club. It's just labels.
    I don't agree with the comment that "it's just labels". There are two aspects to that idea where I'm not convinced. I think in general it is good to acknowledge leadership in a formal way; there may be problems if a person labelled a leader isn't - or isn't perceived to be - a leader. I don't think that's at issue with Luke or Dane. The other aspect is that the "label" endorses what the aspiring leader has been doing; by putting a value on what they have done, it enables them to take even greater responsibility for leadership and perhaps be quicker to intervene in moments where leadership is needed, confident in the knowledge that their approach has the endorsement of the club. I fully expect that will be the case with our leadership team.

I think they make a great triumvirate, and that it's a great move by the club.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I’ve been fortunate to have a few good chats with Tom

If there is a larrikin in the group it is by far sam Naismith - very funny guy

And Hayward certainly has the glint in his eyes and is ready to laugh along and stir

I found Tom Papley to be quite sincere actually and a fairly sensitive personality

Tom certainly changes is personality come game day though
    Paps and Hayward together on those 'joke telling' film clips that the AFL did awhile back were pretty funny.....and there was another Swans one where they were at a cafe streetside announcing some upcoming event and couldn't get their @@@@ together and kept cracking up.....very funny. Hard to imagine them being really serious but Paps has obviously shown enough to be considered leadership material. Good on him.

I must say I was glad to see us go with a single captain back when they announced Joey had the gig to himself. Co captains thing worked I guess because we had success over that period but it always seemed a bit of a junior footballer thing to me. Anyway I wondered if Joey might be slightly offended that his captaincy role has now been diluted? Reckon I would be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I must say I was glad to see us go with a single captain back when they announced Joey had the gig to himself. Co captains thing worked I guess because we had success over that period but it always seemed a bit of a junior footballer thing to me. Anyway I wondered if Joey might be slightly offended that his captaincy role has now been diluted? Reckon I would be

Heard Joey on radio yesterday saying his first thought on the co-captaincy announcement was "what have I done wrong?" But then he realised it was all about promoting players to the captaincy role who were ready to do so. I'm assuming the club would have consulted with Joey before they made the announcement, rather than how he conveyed it above!

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Heard Joey on radio yesterday saying his first thought on the co-captaincy announcement was "what have I done wrong?" But then he realised it was all about promoting players to the captaincy role who were ready to do so. I'm assuming the club would have consulted with Joey before they made the announcement, rather than how he conveyed it above!
    I’m sure they did too, I just personally prefer a single captain and vices as opposed to the co captain model .

Senior Player
    I am somewhat bemused as to why Callum Mills photo fronts the article.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I’m sure they did too, I just personally prefer a single captain and vices as opposed to the co captain model .

+1 However I'm also comfortable that the club seems to have an open mind with this, in that they deploy the captaincy model which best fits for the time. Not having a hard & fast rule for either captaincy model.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Well, being sole captain didn't seem to improve him as a footballer so I'm all for the load being shared....and Ramps and Parks have well and truly earned their stripes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast