Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Co-Captains

2019 Co-Captains

Kennedy, Parker and Rampe - Co-Captains for 2019

Nice move. Takes the pressure of Joshy.

Discuss.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Good move, I was surprised we reverted back to the sole captain in 2017 when the co-captaincy had been working so well for us in the previous 12 seasons.

I'm also pleased about the reversion to co-captains. Mainly because in any team, there are a wide range of personality types. So, if you have a few captains with differing personalities, then this should enable more effective communication amongst the team. And to me, effective communication is an essential component of a successful team.
    Also, during a match, if a single captain is having an off day, then it's harder for them to inspire the rest of the team. Whereas, co-captains mean that it's likely for at least one of them to be firing, and therefore, providing some inspiration.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm also pleased about the reversion to co-captains. Mainly because in any team, there are a wide range of personality types. So, if you have a few captains with differing personalities, then this should enable more effective communication amongst the team. And to me, effective communication is an essential component of a successful team.
    Also, during a match, if a single captain is having an off day, then it's harder for them to inspire the rest of the team. Whereas, co-captains mean that it's likely for at least one of them to be firing, and therefore, providing some inspiration.
    I half agree with you. Rampe and Parker have been vice captains for the last couple of seasons, and I don't think their elevation to co-captains should really make any difference to their onfield leadership, nor much to their role around the club. It's just labels.

That said, the co-captain model worked well for so many years that it makes sense to revert to it. I reckon the external demands on the captain's time are pretty extensive so it makes sense to share that around more formally and take some of the load off Kennedy. The last two seasons have been his least glittering in terms of onfield performance since he joined the club. That might have nothing to do with the captaincy and more to do with injury niggles he's been carrying. But anything that might help him regain his best form for the twilight of his playing career has to be a good idea.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Kennedy, Parker and Rampe - Co-Captains for 2019

Nice move. Takes the pressure of Joshy.

Discuss.
    Agree with that. Less stressful for him with the other two who are more demonstrative. Better balance.

My questions are: (1) why did they abandon the co-captains model and make Joey solo captain two years ago (2) why have they decided to change tack now?

Is it sharing the load, passing the baton or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    My questions are: (1) why did they abandon the co-captains model and make Joey solo captain two years ago (2) why have they decided to change tack now?

Is it sharing the load, passing the baton or something else?
    Ask the club. They won't tell you
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Ask the club. They won't tell you
    That’s why we need RWO - a place for speculation.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think they give some hint at the answer in the video on the website announcing the appointments to the player group. It implies that they thought Kennedy was the standout leader two years ago - ie Parker and Rampe needed further time to develop their leadership, which they've done under Kennedy's guidance over the last three years.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not sure why it couldn't have been announced along with the co-captains but the rest of the leadership team has been just announced:

McVeigh, Smith, Heeney, Mills, Papley

2019 leadership group named - sydneyswans.com.au

Changes from 2018 leadership group

In: Heeney, Mills, Papley
    Out: Hannebery, Jack
    Last edited by ugg; 14th December 2018 at 03:27 PM.

Papley an interesting ‘in’ and Jack an interesting (though reason pretty clear) ‘out’.

Veteran Site Admin
    Yeah, from a distance I wouldn't have picked Papley as an obvious leader in the group. Maybe he's the representative from the larrikin group.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast