Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFLX......why, oh why?

The "I hope my players dont get hurt" is such a pessimistic, insular viewpoint. The AFL seems to suffer from it cronically and kills any representative/all-star type games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    How is that going to work if one team is all aboriginal players. The other 3 captains can't pick them?
    I know right?
    Does it mean that the other 3 teams cannot have indigenous players?
    I don't like the concept much.

What inroads has cricket made into new countries with the 'ultra exciting' 20/20 format?
    Pipe dreams of this AFLX attracting interest from new countries are pipe dreams.
    Ill conceived shortcuts to new markets.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If they invented it for the overseas market, why spruik it with a competition using AFL players? No kid sitting in India or China or wherever is going to be inspired that their life may change by watching a one-off event featuring Fyfe and Dangerfield running around with Power Ranger motifs on their guernseys. It will take a multi-decade, grass-roots form of development to persuade people to play this version of game (and I use that description loosely). I'm not really sure that's a great use of the time and monetary resources of the AFL.

I presume the reference to the potential of earning $300k a week to be a typo. That's EPL kind of money.

Even if this form of the game did take off elsewhere (highly doubtful), it won't equip players to transition to proper AFL. The athletic, tactical and contact components aren't even in the same ballpark. Sure, there's a chance that the odd kid here or there might be able to transition (as Irish players occasionally do) but so what. And none of them is going to get an entry visa just so that they can come and join a Melbourne suburban league.
    Sorry that should have been per year

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If they invented it for the overseas market, why spruik it with a competition using AFL players? No kid sitting in India or China or wherever is going to be inspired that their life may change by watching a one-off event featuring Fyfe and Dangerfield running around with Power Ranger motifs on their guernseys. It will take a multi-decade, grass-roots form of development to persuade people to play this version of game (and I use that description loosely). I'm not really sure that's a great use of the time and monetary resources of the AFL.

I presume the reference to the potential of earning $300k a week to be a typo. That's EPL kind of money.

Even if this form of the game did take off elsewhere (highly doubtful), it won't equip players to transition to proper AFL. The athletic, tactical and contact components aren't even in the same ballpark. Sure, there's a chance that the odd kid here or there might be able to transition (as Irish players occasionally do) but so what. And none of them is going to get an entry visa just so that they can come and join a Melbourne suburban league.
    For a start they get on AFL lists via the Cat B Rookie system. T g en of that does not work out then tgey can transition to the lower levels.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    I’m no fan of AFLX but I can see the purpose of it to grow the game internationally. Especially those outside the Commomwealth who don’t have cricket grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide Swan View Post
    I’m no fan of AFLX but I can see the purpose of it to grow the game internationally. Especially those outside the Commomwealth who don’t have cricket grounds.
    Having a game that can be played on soccer or rugby fields opens up a whole lot of markets both in and out of Australia, but what that has to do with the 4 teams playing in Melbourne... on an oval, I dont know ?

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I love the schoolyard pick system - if it is genuine.
    That's about all my interest
    Are they seriously doing that? How embarrassment.

Get rid of all pre-season comps and add extra rounds of finals rounds to the main season.

There are lots of things they could do... including nothing.

Anyway, i think if it was club based and included an incentive, say draft points, the interest would be greater.

How about dissecting every element if the game that people love and working the structure and rules to deliver.

7 a side with zoned areas and ability to call subs. There are lots of things they could do but they need to THINK about what the point is. If the point is creating a viable alternative short format that people may one day play here or abroad then then AFL are delusional.

But really WTFKs what they are trying to achieve.

AFLX? More appropriate would be AFLY.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Probably. I know the club has not really said anything about AFLX and other than the AFL advertising there has been nothing on our website.
    What lunatic thought up AFLX?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What lunatic thought up AFLX?
    My guess would be that it starts with Gill and ends with MacLachlan.

Veteran Site Admin
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...now they are planning on having "joker" players whose scores count for double...

AFLX game changer: Get ready for 20-point supergoals - AFL.com.au

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast