Just to correct something said earlier in this thread - attempted suicide is not a criminal offence in NSW (or in any other state in Australia). It was decriminalised in NSW sometime in the last 50 years (although I don’t know exactly when).

See: CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 31A

The rule of law that it is a crime for a person to commit, or to attempt to commit, suicide is abrogated.

‘Suicide and attempted suicide are no longer crimes in NSW, so the survivor of a suicide pact will not be guilty of murder or manslaughter. However, there are two offences connected with suicide. One offence is aiding or abetting a suicide or attempted suicide; a person found guilty may be liable to up to 10 years’ imprisonment. The other offence is inciting or counselling someone to commit suicide; the penalty is up to five years’ imprisonment. It is legal to use ‘reasonable’ force to prevent another person from committing suicide.’

Suicide | State Library of NSW

I also came across an article which I think makes some interesting points about the importance of the language we use in discussing suicide and the impact such language can have on anyone who is suffering with suicidal thoughts.

This includes not using the word ‘commit’ as in ‘he attempted to commit suicide’, a verb which implies doing something criminal (e.g. compare with ‘he attempted to commit murder’). Various alternative phrases which don’t imply doing something shameful are suggested, such as ‘he attempted to take his own life’.

http://www.southsydneyherald.com.au/...es-to-suicide/