Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFL and mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I understand where you're coming from on this, Barry, but don't agree. It's a difficult matter. There is, properly, sensitivity about broadcasting too loudly and clearly the idea of suicide; the possibility that this may become a factor in others, perhaps especially younger people, copying the example is a legitimate concern. I tend to think that media have become more careful, rightly, about this over a number of years.
    I dont buy it really. The media use sensationlism all the time. "Murder", "Rape", etc. Young people can copy that too right ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I dont buy it really. The media use sensationlism all the time. "Murder", "Rape", etc. Young people can copy that too right ?
    Our Psychologist received a Life Membership this year. We've obviously been over this for quite a while.

Grant Bercht
    Brecht is a pioneer in the mental wellbeing space in the AFL industry having started with the Swans as Club Psychologist in 2001, a position he held until 2017. His role within the Club was elevated in 2007 when he became an in-house consultant working closely with players and their families on mental health issues.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

I understand where you're coming from on this, Barry, but don't agree. It's a difficult matter. There is, properly, sensitivity about broadcasting too loudly and clearly the idea of suicide; the possibility that this may become a factor in others, perhaps especially younger people, copying the example is a legitimate concern. I tend to think that media have become more careful, rightly, about this over a number of years.

Where I think the media is reprehensible is when a news outlet reveals personal details that they have become aware of, and within a few paragraphs, simply quote North president Ben Buckley's appeal for privacy, as if they themselves were being responsible and not acting in a spirit exactly to the contrary of that appeal.
    Nah.
    If anything it makes it more 'taboo' and possibly brings a mystique to it, but avoiding dealing with the word.
    Suicide is suicide. If that word is going to condemned as somehow inciting others, then simply say "attempt to take his own life"
    It's just the media trying to appear sensitive whilst also relishing in being the bearer of bad news.
    I find it fascinating when the media sensitively state that 'the family requests privacy', as they are saying this while drawing attention to what has happened.

Anyway, I'm sure it was initially labeled as a fall because people didn't know at the time, and there was a chance that there were shenanigans afoot and horseplay and a fall, as remote as that would have been even at the time.
    It seems to be an attempted suicide, likely the end of him as a player, if not through the injuries, then other reasons.
    It's sad, but no sadder than any other person who does the same thing that is unreported or a footnote somewhere.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

They can copy those, too. Whether they can cope is another matter. That the media use sensationalism all the time is hardly out of consideration for community mental health; I'm merely saying that in relation to the question of suicide, I think it is good that the media has shown greater sensitivity in regard to using the word "suicide", because I think words matter. At the same time, while I'm not in the "suicide is suicide" camp in regard to the use of language, I deplore their use of sensationalism on this issue:

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane
    I find it fascinating when the media sensitively state that 'the family requests privacy', as they are saying this while drawing attention to what has happened.
    Agreed. For "fascinating" in an earlier post I used the word "reprehensible".

Agreed. For "fascinating" in an earlier post I used the word "reprehensible".
    Yes, poor choice of words. Nothing is surprising or fascinating any more.
    TBH, I don't read the papers or watch the new at all any more.
    Only way I know what's going on in the world if word of mouth or Facebook.
    For instance that Laverne & Shirley actor died today. I know because a few people posted it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Only way I know what's going on in the world is word of mouth or Facebook.
    Whoa! That will really give you an accurate and balanced view of the world.......not!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Whoa! That will really give you an accurate and balanced view of the world.......not!
    100% it won't
    But my life is happy.
    The news is full of bad news. Why get depressed for half an hour every night.
    Sometimes I wonder what new laws and road rules have come in that I should know about

Blog Entries
    The two you mention are crimes.
    Suicide is not a crime. It is the last hope for some people. Which is pretty sad that things can get to that. And it is never publicised, but it is always obvious as they have the usual Lifeline, Beyodblue phone numbers at the end of the article.

We have been dealing with the mental health system for the 4 years now.
    It is the worst experience. Not just for the person going through it, but the lack of real care and help.

Lifeline, Headspace etc can only do so much, and in our experience have not been of great help. one stating there was nothing more than could do. WTF????
    The MHS is broken in a big way and everone knows it, but no one wil fix it.
    There is a long way to go to fix it, but there are some very obvious fixes from our perspective that could be implemented quite easily.
    Not sure why some of the health professionals can't get things changed.

Even Travel Insurance has a diclaimer for mental health as we found out when we needed it.

It always saddens me to hear young (or any age) people getting to this stage.
    I hope he recovers physically and gets the right care for his mind.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A friend of mine is a child psychiatrist and trainer of psychiatrists. He says the single biggest issue with the MHS is that they are not funding early enough with the result, to use an old comparison, that the emphasis is on the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff instead of the fence at the top. I'm pleased to know - according to another comment on this site - that the Swans have a clinical psychologist rather than a sports psychologist. No offence to sports psychologists, they can do a lot of good, but it seems to me that many of the problems are triggered long before the youngster gets into organised sport.

The other possibility is psychotherapy, which is not restricted to medically trained therapists. The main discouragement is often the length of time taken, but perseverance aided by support from the club could achieve significant change.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

Lifeline, Headspace etc can only do so much, and in our experience have not been of great help. one stating there was nothing more than could do. WTF????
    You get that in all streams of medicine. They reach a limit of what they are prepared to do.

Even Travel Insurance has a diclaimer for mental health as we found out when we needed it.
    This is where the real stigma lies. The risk of asking for help is that it will effect other parts of your life.

It always saddens me to hear young (or any age) people getting to this stage.
    I hope he recovers physically and gets the right care for his mind
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    100% it won't
    But my life is happy.
    The news is full of bad news. Why get depressed for half an hour every night.
    Sometimes I wonder what new laws and road rules have come in that I should know about
    Old media is in a death spiral. Even old blokes like me rarely read a paper or watch tv news. Used to be daily occurances back in my youf. Old media gets more sensational and more morbid to try and retain viewers.

A healthy society has a broad selection of news sources. This is getting almost impossible as now the internet tailors the news shown to you by your preferences. Which just polorised people's view even more.

Senior Player
    You get that in all streams of medicine. They reach a limit of what they are prepared to do.

This is where the real stigma lies. The risk of asking for help is that it will effect other parts of your life.

Very true.
    Notice some very disturbing reports about the side effects, in some cases, of stilnox which apparently he had been using.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast