Thread: University Football Club

University Football Club

Interesting HS article on the history of the University Football Club in the early days of the VFL:

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

An interesting story there, KSAS. Like you, I am very interested in the history of our great game. I sometimes go to watch the Fitzroy Football Club play at the historic Brunswick Street Oval. That Club has a great history too. They actually won their division of the Amateurs this season. They wear the old FFC jumpers and have a healthy following.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

There’s a Fitzroy Football Club in the Adelaide SAAFL Footy Comp too who wear the old Fitzroy strip. I’ve made some old Scanlens footy cards of a couple of friends who play for them. They seemed pretty chuffed when they opened their packets to reveal 1970s/80s styled Fitzroy footy cards of themselves.

That's great that a Fitzroy football club plays at the Brunswick st oval. That is sensational Goswannies you went to the trouble of making Scanlens style footy cards for the SAAFL Fitzroy club players, I'd be chuffed to!

South Mellbourne Districts Football Club still has a senior team playing in the traditional white with red V guernsey and are known as the "Bloods". They had a close association with the club when they were based over the road at the Lakeside oval:

Australian Football - South Melbourne Districts Football Club - Info

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    That's great that a Fitzroy football club plays at the Brunswick st oval. That is sensational Goswannies you went to the trouble of making Scanlens style footy cards for the SAAFL Fitzroy club players, I'd be chuffed to!

South Mellbourne Districts Football Club still has a senior team playing in the traditional white with red V guernsey and are known as the "Bloods". They had a close association with the club when they were based over the road at the Lakeside oval:

My dad, who played a few games with South before the war, returned and played with South Districts. Still have his 1948 Best Utility Trophy. Club has a massive and successful junior footy and cricket programme now the area's demographic and poulation has changed over the last 15 or so years.

You must be mighty proud of that trophy BF. Yes I've noticed the club has been incorporated into the South Melbourne Districts Sports Club which also includes athletics. Noticed the athletics club wear red and white hooped tops which resembles the guernsey South wore when they were originally formed.

Senior Player
    You must be mighty proud of that trophy BF. Yes I've noticed the club has been incorporated into the South Melbourne Districts Sports Club which also includes athletics. Noticed the athletics club wear red and white hooped tops which resembles the guernsey South wore when they were originally formed.
    Track they run around the site of the old lake oval. Nice historical touch!

Not just any club named Fitzroy Football club KSAS, its the original FFC. FFC never folded, they were just kicked out of the AFL. The entity never transferred to Brisbane, but remained as a legal entity playing in the amateurs.

Here's the link to their website. Fitzroy Football Club | Incorporating The Fitzroy Reds Has all the Fitzroy history on it.

The "merger" was really only a way for Brisbane to become relevant, get a decent looking jumper and club song, although of recent times they've tried real hard to destroy the jumper. That paddle pop lion thing was a disgrace.

Thanks Doctor J, I wasn't aware of that about FFC as I'd always thought the original club had merged with the Brisbane Bears to form the Brisbane Lions. I've always been thankful we'd relocated and retained our South Melbourne heritage rather than have merged or worse still folded (which almost occurred).