Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Inter-club Match 2019 v GWS @ Blacktown Fri 22/2 9:30am

Swans Squad

1. James Rose - not very clean

4. Ryan Clarke - only played second half and was ok without being a standout

6. Jackson Thurlow - didn’t notice jackson much as Rampe, Grundy and Melican tended to dominate......in attack jackson was outplayed by McInerney. I suppose Thurlow will get more outside game time in the next game

7. Harry Cunningham - very strong game and same as last season drifted between wing and HBF for exits and played very well

8. James Rowbottom - a reall young warrior quite like Parker at same age......more 2020 I think but he is a goer that is for sure

9. Will Hayward - Solid

11. Tom Papley - really mature game from Tom. All class

13. Oliver Florent - wow Ollie really is quick with his change of pace. Good inside outside game today

14. Callum Mills - impressed with his midfield time and will be midfield I suspect this season. Depends a little on Thurlow being the player we need off HBF

17. Darcy Cameron - good game got injured on the knee ?

21. Jack Maibaum - solid and good closing speed. Played fairly direct and tried to play on. A little forced but gave it a go

22. Nick Blakey - well he certainly put his hand up for a spot in the 22 for rd1. Classy, athletic, great kicking today

24. Dane Rampe - super strong

27. Justin McInerney - a real goer and tough. Nice touch and vision today also. Very exciting prospect for the future and maybe some 2019 snr games

29. George Hewett - solid as always

31. Harry Reynolds - limiter time. Tried very hard

32. James Bell - obviously outside player but needs to find his tenacity and back himself

33. Ryley Stoddart - same again as bell...... limited time and floated in and out of the game

34. Jordan Dawson - like blakey will be close to the best 22. Just so confusing where to play Jordan but he has lifted again and must be a 12 snr game plus player in 2019

38. Colin O’RIORDAN - solid but will struggle to get much snr time vs the other backs available

39. Heath Grundy - strong game back

42. Robbie Fox - very adaptable player and can see why we kept him over Robbo or towers

43. Lewis Melican - good First game back. Solid

44. Jake Lloyd - picked up where he left off. Critical player for us

45. Sam Wicks - good pressure. Limited minutes

47. Toby Pink - gives everything a go......improved a little from last season. Supposedly injured a lot last two years
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 22nd February 2019 at 02:19 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Disappointing to hear Mumford hit Hewett high off the ball: Watch: Mummy's back, but is he in Match Review trouble? - AFL.com.au. I hope Hewett wasn't injured. Nothing to suggest he was. Any injury reports at all?

A match report mentioned that Mummy dominated Cameron in the ruck. That's a great learning experience for Darcy and I hope it will just motivate him to get better, stronger, more aggressive and learn to use his own size to advantage.
    Cameron only played the first half and Mumford only played the second half so don't see how Mummy dominated Cameron. Mumford dominated ruck in the second half which is one reason why GWS got back into the game but he was up against Pink, Grundy, Dawson and Fox in ruck so not at all surprising.

Players who are supposedly not injured that we did not sight at all were McVeigh, Foot, Sinclair, Reid, Ronke, McCartin and Amartey. Clarke only played second half and Reynolds had hardly any time at all. There were some academy players named on the team sheet and I saw 53 and 55 on the boundary but I don't think any got on the field.
    Thought the Swans were faster and much cleaner with their passing both by hand and foot than the Giants who muscled their way back into the game in the second half with a ruck dominance. With Naismith not ready, Sinclair MIA and Cameron off for the second half our ruck stocks may be a little light on. Was impressed with Pink in the first half considering where he has come from but badly outpointed by Mumford in the third quarter when tossed into the ruck.
    A lot to like about Florent, Cunningham, Hewett, Papley and Hayward while Mills was very good in finding a team mate. The new boys, Blakey all class, Rowbottom a real goer and McInerney is going to be a star.

Veterans List
    They probably won't all fit into best 22 or all be fit at the same time during the season but at least 13 "best 22" players didn't play today. GWS would be similar I suspect.

How did the new kick in rule shape up? I'm expecting some teams will do very clever tactics around this to launch right into forward half from a kick in.

Agree 707

What we see today is very different when 13 players come back into the team

But.....it was Nice to see some players shine in roles that we don’t see unless watching Reserves

I suppose the question for me is what flexibility in football styles will enable us to challenge for the top4 and who can excecute this best

At the moment players like macca Grundy and jack are solid in decision making but as an example macca can be exposed if resting taller midfielder like a like young Tim Taranto matches up with him for 20mins in a game ie macca can’t contain his speed but a a young McNeirney could.......yet macca would make much better decisions week in week out then say an 18yr old inexperienced HBF

Will it be this year or next year that we risk a few more players to be finals ready via giving them more Snrs game time

For us to be more flexible in our game plans I feel that the likes of Dawson, Blakey, Melican etc need to be playing a decent amount of Snrs

Our exits today off our HBF line looked so different and more open then when macca or Mills have ball in hand

Our ability today to spread off the back line with run and carry then direct fast balls through the middle opened up GWS and looked impressive and necessary

We had over lap and run and carry when we needed it and it was dangerous

In summary the three players below will be very difficult to keep out of our best 22 even if all players are available

Melican
    Dawson
    Blakey

Ps we didn’t use the new kick in rule hardly at all

GWS did with finlayson kicking to the middle of the field with ease but for not much possession gain
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 22nd February 2019 at 03:11 PM.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    - -- Not just highlights --
    Not just the actions in the field but you can listen to Tom Harley talking on players and the club through out the 1st Quarter and Menzel later
    Last edited by Aaron; 22nd February 2019 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks for comments on the match above. Sounds as if some exciting talent was on show.

Also seems that Mumford the Thug is back.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks for comments on the match above. Sounds as if some exciting talent was on show.

Also seems that Mumford the Thug is back.
    Wasn't at his snorting best though!

Nice to see McInerney play well. He was a surprise pick which attracted a lot of criticism at the time but looks like a ball magnet. Reminded me a little bit of Lloyds first appearance. Hopefully, he'll develop into a handy player.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Likewise I thought McInerney was pretty impressive. Rampe very fit and a class above. Mills still a cool head in the midfield and seemed to have time to find his options.

Some very sloppy disposal from Rose through the game.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Disappointing to hear Mumford hit Hewett high off the ball: Watch: Mummy's back, but is he in Match Review trouble? - AFL.com.au. I hope Hewett wasn't injured. Nothing to suggest he was. Any injury reports at all?

A match report mentioned that Mummy dominated Cameron in the ruck. That's a great learning experience for Darcy and I hope it will just motivate him to get better, stronger, more aggressive and learn to use his own size to advantage.
    Cameron didn’t play after half time due to a slight injury and Mumford only played the second half. Pity whoever wrote that couldn’t get their facts straight! 🙄

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    - -- Not just highlights --
    Not just the actions in the field but you can listen to Tom Harley talking on players and the club through out the 1st Quarter and Menzel later
    Tom was good in the first quarter with his insights on our boys......haven't watched the last quarter yet.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast