Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Inter-club Match 2019 v GWS @ Blacktown Fri 22/2 9:30am

Regular in the Side

Swans Inter-club Match 2019 v GWS @ Blacktown Fri 22/2 9:30am

According to Swans set for intra-club match - sydneyswans.com.au, the date will be 22 Feb 2019. The same date for the AFLX match in Melbourne. So no Swans will be drafted to participate in the AFLX or we will miss up to 4 top players in the Intra-Club Match?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    According to Swans set for intra-club match - sydneyswans.com.au, the date will be 22 Feb 2019. The same date for the AFLX match in Melbourne. So no Swans will be drafted to participate in the AFLX or we will miss up to 4 top players in the Intra-Club Match?
    Hmmm, I'm wondering now, if our officials had a similar level of interest in AFLX as most fans, and therefore just forgot that it was on?

Dammit! I love going to this every year but I won't be back from an interstate work trip in time.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Hmmm, I'm wondering now, if our officials had a similar level of interest in AFLX as most fans, and therefore just forgot that it was on?
    Probably. I know the club has not really said anything about AFLX and other than the AFL advertising there has been nothing on our website.

Regular in the Side
    Intra-club moved - sydneyswans.com.au
    Details:

Inter Club Practice Match

Sydney Swans v GWS Giants

Friday 22 February, 9:30am

Blacktown International Sports Park
    Last edited by Aaron; 18th February 2019 at 06:26 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Friday 9:30 at Blacktown ? That’s going to be worse than the usual NEAFL crowd number.

Regular in the Side
    Intra-club moved - sydneyswans.com.au - It does not look good. Poor planning? Poor Management? New football manager? Longmire said, " We only have 26 players and four taking part in AFLX, so it would have been challenging to field competitive teams for an intra-club match.” When did the Club know about the number of players available? A few new injuries recently? I have been to the Intra-Club matches in the past. There were top-ups from the Academy. We all understood. But the new arrangement is no good and the announcement is too late ! AFLX was scheduled on that day well ahead! “We understand it’s not the ideal time if you’re working or going to school, but certainly fans are still welcome to come out and support the players and it will be terrific if they can,” Longmire said. --Not Happy!

Veterans List
    Timing is to suit the club, they are probably pist about the stupid AFLX lobbing right on top of the preseason timeline. Fitness guys are the ones who dictate the macro timing, not practical to move it far enough back or forward to allow AFLX players to play. It has nothing to do with poor planning/management or new football manager.

As for day, time and venue, it's done to suit the club not the fans and in this case we need to work in with GWS as per Longmire comment "due to the scheduling commitments of both teams"
    Last edited by 707; 19th February 2019 at 08:22 AM.

Senior Player
    Concerning that we only have 26 match fit players at this stage of the preseason

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Concerning that we only have 26 match fit players at this stage of the preseason
    18 not ready for a full game :-(

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    The statement from the club was a bit ambiguous but I interpreted it as 26 plus the four players involved in the AFLX. So that's 30 available players. It still means there are 14 missing.

We know that Franklin, Menzel, Smith, Jack, Jones, Naismith, Tucker, Ling and Amartey are all on the slow comeback trail from injury or off-season surgery. So that's nine accounted for.

The remaining five? Rowbottom seems to have been running laps during training, suggesting he has something they've been nursing, or they just want to build up his fitness base. Maybe Bell is another, since he (and Tucker) are attending an indigenous player camp in the early part of this week. Maybe that extends for most of the week, or they just don't want to play him if he's not been training at the club for the whole week. Lloyd has only very recently joined the main training group so maybe they don't want to risk him in full contact game play quite yet. So that only leaves a couple unaccounted for, and it's probably not unusual to have players pick up a niggle here and there, and for their programme to be pulled back for a short time during the pre-season.

I mostly agree with 707 that the timing and format of the game should mostly suit the club, not fans, though by making a big thing of the intraclub at Henson for the last few years the club has kind of made a promise to fans. The location and timing are annoying for me. I am free on Friday and could go in theory, but making it out to BISP by 9.30 is a bit of an ask. If it started an hour later I could probably make it because the worst of the morning traffic would be over, but at that time of the morning I'd probably have to leave home by 7.30am to get there by 9.30am (and spend the first hour of that time sitting in bumper to bumper traffic).

Disappointed and unimpressed!

Reading this thread I was confused whether we are talking about the intraclub match or the inter-club match v GWS. Now I've checked the club website. It turns out the intra-club match at Henson park at 5 pm is being replaced by a scratch match against GWS at BISP in the morning.

If it was the GWS match that was being rescheduled/cancelled I would be less disappointed. We'll play them at least another 3 times this year. However the intraclub is always marketed as an event for fans and fixtured at a friendly time and venue. It's also the main opportunity to see our whole list in action and see players competing for spots go head to head against each other.

Cancelling at such late notice is poor form. I had planned to go with my young son, his little mate and a friend of my own. Now I have to tell them all it's cancelled.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast