Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Swans Inter-club Match 2019 v GWS @ Blacktown Fri 22/2 9:30am

So much potential in our young list. The question is how they will come on in the next few years but I can see a day where captain Blakey is lifting the premiership cup surrounded by his forward line mates McCartain, Dawson, Papley, Ronke and Hayward (I really hope Tom's OK!).

Opti-pessi-misti
    I loved the commentary. Whoever the commentator was was not only knowledgeable but so skilful in drawing out from Tom Harley, Menzel, Heath and ? information, that I at least was interested to know, and insights re the players etc and with lots of humour. I wonder if the NEAFL commentators were listening!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ootf View Post
    Some pics from today's game for anyone interested via carter_capture on Instagram and follow the link in the profile (cant post URL here unfortunately).
    Swans v GWS - Paul Carter.

Veteran Site Admin
    Along with others, I thought there were promising signs on display. As you would expect from sides in their first hit out of the season (and with lots of senior experience and class missing from both sides), it was a bit scrappy at times and some poor turnovers. I though the difference between the two sides, especially in the first half, was that the Swans were able to string together more clean passages of play and deliver the ball in to their forward line in a more constructive way. In the second half the Giants gained the ascendency, larger from their ruck dominance, but I don't think that's a concern for us given who we had (or didn't have) in the ruck in the second half.

My best two were Rampe, who looked very fit, very sharp, and maybe a tiny bit quicker, and Papley, who just played an all round solid game. The passage of play that led to one of Hayward's goals was my play of the day. It looked like the two knew exactly what they were doing - Hayward hang back and let Papley win the ball under pressure, and backed himself to finish with his class.

I loved seeing Mills in the middle. That was exactly how he played at NEAFL and U18 level before he was drafted (mostly as an U17, given he was injured for most of the year before he was drafted). It's good to see he can still do it, and in stronger company (albeit not quite proper AFL level). I think he's a far more natural contested ball winner than Heeney. He's a "see ball, get ball" type, whereas Heeney's instincts are more to hang off the packs and shark the loose ball, or pounce on the first possession winner with one of his aggressive tackles. I think he's better value as the first receiver of the ball, rather trying to win the ball himself in packs.

All the new guys who got a go showed something. McInerney's dash may have caught the eye the most, but there was a moment just before he went on his two bounce foray that caught my eye. The ball was in the air headed straight into Mumford's outstretched hands until McInerney decided he could get to the contest and effect a spoil. He didn't hold back at launching himself at Mumford's body, which was impressive given their size differential.

Rowbottom went hard at the contest every time it was his turn. And there was a ball-busting tackle by Reynolds that caught my eye. Both are likely to spend most - maybe all - of the season in the NEAFL but they showed glimpses of what attracted the club to them.

Another player I was impressed by who hasn't received much acknowledgement on here was O'Riordan. I don't think he played at all in the first quarter, but after coming on I thought he controlled the back half pretty well, used his pace to get to lots of ground balls, kept a cool head and used the ball well. Given Smith seems likely to miss the start of the season, I reckon a couple of solid outings in the official practice games will see him earn a spot for round 1, and then it's up to him to prove he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I loved the commentary. Whoever the commentator was was not only knowledgeable but so skilful in drawing out from Tom Harley, Menzel, Heath and ? information, that I at least was interested to know, and insights re the players etc and with lots of humour. I wonder if the NEAFL commentators were listening!
    I agree . Apparently he is on triple m in Sydney, did a great job. I liked the mix of half swans / half giants guests . Dylan Buckley and heath Shaw are pretty entertaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Some great pictures there. Thanks OOTF.

Does anyone know who the player is in the fourth picture on the first page? I guess it must be one of the academy players who was on stand-by, but he looks quite physically developed for an U19 player.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Does anyone know who the player is in the fourth picture on the first page? I guess it must be one of the academy players who was on stand-by, but he looks quite physically developed for an U19 player.
    SAM Wicks

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side

The academy players named were Kyle Veerhuis, Connor Flanagan, Kyle McKeller, and Zac Cameron. I don't know their numbers and don't recognise him.

Along with others, I thought there were promising signs on display. As you would expect from sides in their first hit out of the season (and with lots of senior experience and class missing from both sides), it was a bit scrappy at times and some poor turnovers. I though the difference between the two sides, especially in the first half, was that the Swans were able to string together more clean passages of play and deliver the ball in to their forward line in a more constructive way. In the second half the Giants gained the ascendency, larger from their ruck dominance, but I don't think that's a concern for us given who we had (or didn't have) in the ruck in the second half.

My best two were Rampe, who looked very fit, very sharp, and maybe a tiny bit quicker, and Papley, who just played an all round solid game. The passage of play that led to one of Hayward's goals was my play of the day. It looked like the two knew exactly what they were doing - Hayward hang back and let Papley win the ball under pressure, and backed himself to finish with his class.

I loved seeing Mills in the middle. That was exactly how he played at NEAFL and U18 level before he was drafted (mostly as an U17, given he was injured for most of the year before he was drafted). It's good to see he can still do it, and in stronger company (albeit not quite proper AFL level). I think he's a far more natural contested ball winner than Heeney. He's a "see ball, get ball" type, whereas Heeney's instincts are more to hang off the packs and shark the loose ball, or pounce on the first possession winner with one of his aggressive tackles. I think he's better value as the first receiver of the ball, rather trying to win the ball himself in packs.

All the new guys who got a go showed something. McInerney's dash may have caught the eye the most, but there was a moment just before he went on his two bounce foray that caught my eye. The ball was in the air headed straight into Mumford's outstretched hands until McInerney decided he could get to the contest and effect a spoil. He didn't hold back at launching himself at Mumford's body, which was impressive given their size differential.

Rowbottom went hard at the contest every time it was his turn. And there was a ball-busting tackle by Reynolds that caught my eye. Both are likely to spend most - maybe all - of the season in the NEAFL but they showed glimpses of what attracted the club to them.

Another player I was impressed by who hasn't received much acknowledgement on here was O'Riordan. I don't think he played at all in the first quarter, but after coming on I thought he controlled the back half pretty well, used his pace to get to lots of ground balls, kept a cool head and used the ball well. Given Smith seems likely to miss the start of the season, I reckon a couple of solid outings in the official practice games will see him earn a spot for round 1, and then it's up to him to prove he belongs.
    Well done Liz. I agree. But I will just add Maibaum to that mix. He controlled the back line and kept Himmelberg pretty quiet. I loved how he seemed to have plenty of time. This is a guy who hates to be beaten, even at training. I love how he berates himself even when Bid beats him. Developing nicely. The backs are really well provided for. Melican, Maibaum, Reg and Aliir as talls. Smithy, Macca, O'Riordan, Lloyd, Rampe, Thurlow, McInerney, Reynolds, Fox, Rampe taking the medium and small players. I think we are well covered.

I also liked that Pink got really involved and Dawson played really well in the first half. He was so damaging they tagged him after half time.

Veterans List
    Good to hear COR & Dawson both stood out. COR looked every bit an AFL player in his three games last year before he was injured, improves our back 6 IMO. I've banged on about Dawson a fair bit in the last couple of years, Just has to be given a decent go as he adds a difference to our forward/mid mix.

IMO both these guys need to be regulars this year if we are to improve.

Good also to hear that Mills looks at home in the centre and Ollie has continued his rapid improvement.

The player with the shoulder strapping could be Ryan Clarke.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    SAM Wicks

Its not Sam Wicks

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast