Page 105 of 521 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,249 to 1,260 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Important to really try and keep him. Quick, aggressive and his tank is improving. Takes the game on under instructions I reckon. Would seriously miss him.
    I agree, but worry that he's going and we won't get what he's worth. Agree re: Fox, but then the same was true of Dean Towers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I agree, but worry that he's going and we won't get what he's worth. Agree re: Fox, but then the same was true of Dean Towers.
    Good comparison with Towers who played some good footy with us. Fox is more physical and this attribute may spare him. Rose will probably go the way of Towers this year.

I think that other Clubs will be very reluctant to trade a first round pick for Zac Jones. He is probably going for a second rounder if he leaves. I guess a lot will depend on who he would want to go to and where they sit in the draft pecking order. Dees currently sit second last. I would guess they would have some attraction for him given his brother's prominence there?

Remember we got Pick 14 for Mitchell. That worked out well! We literally got nothing for Membrey who went to the Saints with their then first pick in the pre-season draft. Next to nothing for Hanneberry and Rohan. I guess the point that I am making is that one generally only receives modest compensation for a player who wants to leave or you are keen to trade.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aprilbr; 4th August 2019 at 07:14 PM.

Senior Player
    My version. I reckon there could be a brutal off-season clearout.
    ——-

2020 GAINS
    Barry O'Connor (2020)

2020 TRADE REQUIREMENTS
    AFL capable ruckman
    KPD
    Ball winning midfielders
    Small forward

2020 LOSSES
    Heath Grundy (retired), Jarrad McVeigh (retired), Kieren Jack (retired), Nick Smith (retired), Darcy Cameron (traded), James Rose (delisted), Jackson Thurlow (delisted), Cody Hirst (delisted),

RE-SIGNED
    Nick Blakey (2022), Harry Cunningham (2022), Justin McInerney (2022), Colin O'Riordan (2021), Dane Rampe (2022), Harry Reynolds (2022), James Rowbottom (2022), Callum Sinclair (2021), Jordan Dawson (2021)

OFF CONTRACT 2019 and KEEPERS
    Ryan Clarke
    Hayden McLean
    Daniel Menzel

FUTURE UNCERTAIN
    James Bell
    Joel Amartey
    Robbie Fox
    Zak Jones
    Michael Knoll
    Jack Maibaum
    Toby Pink
    Durak Tucker
    Helpful post Mark, my 2 cents:

I think Thurlow has another year on his contract.

Rose is a goner after Saturday.

I would think that Amartey will be upgraded with Bell also a chance.

McLean a certainty and Knoll a chance to be upgraded.

Big decision will be whether to keep Pink.

Tucker and Maibaum will be kept if medical reports are positive.

Hurst won''t be kept.

I feel that if we don't trade for experience we will keep Fox and Pink given that there could be about 8 new first year players at the club.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Interesting to consider when looking at the stats on the AFL just how close to “average” the Swans are even though we sit 15th on the ladder . It’s bizarre how we are either right on or within a couple of % of the competition average.
    A couple of stats that reflect the general consensus on this site we are at 30 compared to 39 for the competition average for hit outs and 34 to 38 for clearances. Everything else is pretty close. I think we are possibly the best 15th placed side the competition has had for a few years. I think the futures so bright ........ well you know the rest 😀
    That is a great song - gotta wear shades! I'm off to google it now!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Important to really try and keep him. Quick, aggressive and his tank is improving. Takes the game on under instructions I reckon. Would seriously miss him.
    It's the old story; get towards the end of the season and he hasn't signed. Sounds like a side or two are in his ear. Happy to let him go for a decent trade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Helpful post Mark, my 2 cents:

I think Thurlow has another year on his contract.

Rose is a goner after Saturday.

I would think that Amartey will be upgraded with Bell also a chance.

McLean a certainty and Knoll a chance to be upgraded.

Big decision will be whether to keep Pink.

Tucker and Maibaum will be kept if medical reports are positive.

Hurst won''t be kept.

I feel that if we don't trade for experience we will keep Fox and Pink given that there could be about 8 new first year players at the club.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    I am not sure about Hurst. Why would you waste your time drafting a bloke mid season then let him go after less than half a season. I think they will hang on to him in preference to keeping Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I think that other Clubs will be very reluctant to trade a first round pick for Zac Jones. He is probably going for a second rounder if he leaves. I guess a lot will depend on who he would want to go to and where they sit in the draft pecking order. Dees currently sit second last. I would guess they would have some attraction for him given his brother's prominence there?

Remember we got Pick 14 for Mitchell. That worked out well! We literally got nothing for Membrey who went to the Saints with their then first pick in the pre-season draft. Next to nothing for Hanneberry and Rohan. I guess the point that I am making is that one generally only receives modest compensation for a player who wants to leave or you are keen to trade.

That's putting it mildly. I think we got totally shafted for Mitchell.
    Some clubs do seem to be taking a harder line recently e.g. Beams, Tim Kelly, Jesse Hogan, but the Swans have tended not to play hardball.
    It helps if a player is contracted, which Jones is not.

My version. I reckon there could be a brutal off-season clearout.
    ——-

2020 GAINS
    Barry O'Connor (2020)

2020 TRADE REQUIREMENTS
    AFL capable ruckman
    KPD
    Ball winning midfielders
    Small forward

2020 LOSSES
    Heath Grundy (retired), Jarrad McVeigh (retired), Kieren Jack (retired), Nick Smith (retired), Darcy Cameron (traded), James Rose (delisted), Jackson Thurlow (delisted), Cody Hirst (delisted),

RE-SIGNED
    Nick Blakey (2022), Harry Cunningham (2022), Justin McInerney (2022), Colin O'Riordan (2021), Dane Rampe (2022), Harry Reynolds (2022), James Rowbottom (2022), Callum Sinclair (2021), Jordan Dawson (2021)

OFF CONTRACT 2019 and KEEPERS
    Ryan Clarke
    Hayden McLean
    Daniel Menzel

FUTURE UNCERTAIN
    James Bell
    Joel Amartey
    Robbie Fox
    Zak Jones
    Michael Knoll
    Jack Maibaum
    Toby Pink
    Durak Tucker
    Good summary. I agree with the names in each category.

The trade requirements cover all parts of the ground, so it doesn't say much to say we need everything. Unless there are some big surprises at the end of the season, I don't think we are in particular need of any type of player. We can always use another quality midfielder, but even this should be covered with the development of our young mids. The ruckman situation is complex and not easy to resolve. We have plenty of coverage, but how many do we need, and which ones? We are unlikely to be able to acquire a better ruckman than either Naismith or Sinclair in the off season anyway.

We are at least one year too early to go after a big fish. It doesn't pay to invest a lot in 1 player unless you're in line for premiership contention. Another year of player development should give us a better idea where our weaknesses are.

I wouldn't go after a small forward. We already have one of the best in Papley. We will also get 2 academy players in the 2020 draft, Campbell and Gulden, both of whom are smallish players with excellent goal kicking skills.

An interesting 1st round pick for us would be Will Gould. (From Chris Doere write-up). It would strengthen our defence and expedite a move of defender like Mills to move to the midfield. Gould seems like a good candidate for an inside midfielder down the track:

Will Gould
    Best position: General defence/key defence
    Height, weight: 191cm, 98kg
    Recruited from: Glenelg
    Projected draft range: 5-20
    Plays like: Shannon Hurn
    June Rankings: 7
    Rationale: An Under-18 All-Australian, Gould is the most physically advanced and dominant prospect in the pool. A season one ready defender who performs reliably at SANFL League level each week. Holds his position on the back of a strong close to the Under-18 Championships
    Strengths: One-on-one strength, penetrating and damaging kick with 60m penetration, vision, reading of the ball in flight, intercept marking, consistent performances on the board against SANFL league competition, aggression, attack on the ball, explosive speed, strength through the hips to stand up through tackles, leadership through on field example
    Weaknesses: Endurance, unclear whether tall enough to be a key defender at AFL level.

One of the key features of our brand as a team has really disappeared over the past two seasons. That is, our clearance play and contested possessions. We have gone from being considered one of the very best in these areas to one of the worst. Accordingly, we need to address these areas urgently and attracting ball winners who can win clearances must be a priority in the off season.

Funny how our outside run was considered a weakness about 5 seasons ago, and now this is our strength but our contested ball use is the worst in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    Funny how our outside run was considered a weakness about 5 seasons ago, and now this is our strength but our contested ball use is the worst in the league.
    +1
    I think it’s easier to improve the inside game than the outside one.

Long Term Injury List
    [QUOTE=MattW;782060]I agree with all of that.

I'd take a reasonable/near reasonable offer for Jones. Mid-late first round, for example. His hard running and tackling are great and he's curbed his aggression. But his short kicking through the midfield is too error prone to be elite and it's an area we really need to improve. Also, he doesn't win one on one marking contests.

I don't understand the bad wrap Jones gets for his kicking. The last three games his disposal efficiency has been 85% (2nd in team), 94.7% (1st in team), 84% (5th in team). Even in the Carlton game he wasn't our worst.
    I would be sad to see him go.