Page 11 of 521 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    3rd party deals are supposed to be accounted for, but how do you account for the endless wave of freebies that come the way of most afl players in the southern states.

I think the Academy should compensate for these additional inducements in the long term
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I thought such 3rd party payments were frowned upon ala Tippett and to a degree Judd
    Judds was afl approved. Tippets wasn’t. It’s only frowned upon if you get caught.

Anyone who has spent anytime talking to an AFL player from a big Melbourne based club knows players from there can receive more via third party deals than they would in NSW or Qld. I’m talking about the whole list not just superstars.

When I watched most AFL shows a few years ago Johnathon Brown states OTC that Brisbane had to pay above what their market worth was to keep young players there. Blind Freddy can see why.

I actually had no issue with players having higher wages via these deals. It just would be nice to hear people admit the advantage big Melbourne clubs have over the northern clubs. And imo it’s a massive advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    3rd party deals are supposed to be accounted for, but how do you account for the endless wave of freebies that come the way of most afl players in the southern states.

I think the Academy should compensate for these additional inducements in the long term
    Frank Costa would be throwing a lot of “freebies” at Tim Kelly to stay. We can call it freebies, sponsorship, advertising etc. it’s really third party deals through the club. Whether that be by the presidents companies, friends of high ranking officials, coterie groups etc. And also don’t forget jobs for wives, girlfriends, brothers, sisters, mums or dads.

There is a massive amount of money to be made In Melbourne via these things.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Richmond also would be able to arrange third party deals that lower their tpp. The small bit that I’ve read says that Martin took a lower than expect contract due to Richmond being able to facilitate more income post career.

So this is most likely why Richmond were able to secure Lynch and also able to re-sign Martin. Third party deals.

Collingwood would have did the same in signing Beams and re-signing Moore & Langford.

Its almost like northern clubs need a retention allowance to compete with the big Melbourne clubs. Like say 9.8% extra on contracts.
    Martin is on the same money as Bud $1m+ per year

There are about 4-5 players this season that have broken that mark. As I said, if we're near the salary cap after what we have cleared over the last few seasons (and I count Tippett) then someone needs to be sacked

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Martin is on the same money as Bud $1m+ per year

There are about 4-5 players this season that have broken that mark. As I said, if we're near the salary cap after what we have cleared over the last few seasons (and I count Tippett) then someone needs to be sacked
    You originally got riled up over an article about Franklins contract that was dated 2013.

There has been a few articles that totally disputes this tpp issue you talk of. One being this one

Sydney Swans building serious war chest ahead of trade and free agency period | Sporting News

And another being this one with quotes from an outgoing respected official

Cashed-up Swans can pursue big fish, says Ireland - AFL.com.au

TPP is not the issue.

Senior Player
    You originally got riled up over an article about Franklins contract that was dated 2013.

There has been a few articles that totally disputes this tpp issue you talk of. One being this one

Sydney Swans building serious war chest ahead of trade and free agency period | Sporting News

And another being this one with quotes from an outgoing respected official

Cashed-up Swans can pursue big fish, says Ireland - AFL.com.au

TPP is not the issue.
    I got riled up about what the??

Someone suggested that we may not have any salary cap space, I disagreed and used Richmond as an example of a team that pays their star player a similar amount of money to Bud.

If we still did have a salary cap issue (and I don't believe we do), then we've mismanaged it pretty badly given the amount of talent we have shedded over the last few years

What exactly do you disagree with??

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I got riled up about what the??

Someone suggested that we may not have any salary cap space, I disagreed and used Richmond as an example of a team that pays their star player a similar amount of money to Bud.

If we still did have a salary cap issue (and I don't believe we do), then we've mismanaged it pretty badly given the amount of talent we have shedded over the last few years

What exactly do you disagree with??
    My apologies I’ve read back through n my post should have been a reply to others that have suggested this. Again I apologise.

Senior Player
    All good 👍

Richmond also would be able to arrange third party deals that lower their tpp. The small bit that I’ve read says that Martin took a lower than expect contract due to Richmond being able to facilitate more income post career.

So this is most likely why Richmond were able to secure Lynch and also able to re-sign Martin. Third party deals.

Collingwood would have did the same in signing Beams and re-signing Moore & Langford.

Its almost like northern clubs need a retention allowance to compete with the big Melbourne clubs. Like say 9.8% extra on contracts.
    Lol. +1

A nice article on the latest Irish lad trialling with us. 'He's built for it' - Wexford star on his cousin's AFL trial with Sydney Swans

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    A nice article on the latest Irish lad trialling with us. 'He's built for it' - Wexford star on his cousin's AFL trial with Sydney Swans
    Irish recruits are basically free hits as Cat B rookies, we should always have at least one on that list, if they make the grade and get promoted, grab another one.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    The pic up on the Swans website shows he's got a strong physique.