Page 128 of 521 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,525 to 1,536 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Our trade/drafting strategy is simple:
    -work the academy system
    -trade for young players not getting game time at current club.
    -trade for player who don't like AFL spotlight.
    - churn the rookie and late draft selections looking for gold.

So, we shouldn't be trying to extract established players by offers of more money.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I also think our list has become a bit uneven and we can't afford to be uncompetitive in the AFL for too long. Accordingly I conclude that we will need to be active in the trade period. Our age profile is too skewed, we lack depth (thanks to an exodus of experience) and there are various positions where we are need to fill gaps - inside mids and KPD being the most obvious. Not sure if I agree about ruck being a high priority.
    You are conflating lack of depth and loss of experience. We actually have good depth, but the depth players are young and lack experience. I don't think it's possible to effectively fill the gaps, We only have 6 regular senior players older than Jake Lloyd at 25. WCE, by contrast, have 13, which is about right for a premiership side. That's more like a void than a gap. We've been unloading older players just to get us into this position of having Lloyd and younger players to move into the void. It will take about 3 years for us to transition to a WCE age demographic, which is a realistic time frame for us to be targeting our next flag.

I see our goal as having a large group of players in a relatively small age demographic all coming through together. We seem to be on track for that.

Just to use the example of KPDs. We definitely have Aliir as one. We need at least 1 and preferably 2 more quality KPDs. The non-senior side players we have available on our list who can play KPD are: Melican, Maibaum, McCartin, McLean, Pink plus O'Connor. So we actually have 6 reasonable candidates to fill 2 spots. Without predicting which ones will make the grade, I feel confident that at least 2 will. If you go through our list, you will find a similar situation for the midfield, but with less depth in numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Our trade/drafting strategy is simple:
    -work the academy system
    -trade for young players not getting game time at current club.
    -trade for player who don't like AFL spotlight.
    - churn the rookie and late draft selections looking for gold.

So, we shouldn't be trying to extract established players by offers of more money.
    Reckon thats a pretty good summary. Think you might need to add

- trade for bad boy / glamour forward

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I see our goal as having a large group of players in a relatively small age demographic all coming through together. We seem to be on track for that.
    Yeh, that is where I think our focus of the list 'rebuild' has been on. Trying to keep enough experienced players around to still remain relevant and competitive, while trying to build a 'golden generation' from below. A few of our older guys have arguably dropped off much quicker then expected, so the transition is tougher than would have been hope. But come 2021-22, if we can keep the core that we are building now, and fill some gaps - there is going to be a very good football team potentially to be watched.

Brisbane is a perfect example of how some patience (and in their case the end of a long period of poaching and bleeding of quality players) can reap dividends when a group of players develop together and hit the 'peak period' together. I hope we will see much the same in around 2021 or 2022.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Brisbane is a perfect example of how some patience (and in their case the end of a long period of poaching and bleeding of quality players) can reap dividends when a group of players develop together and hit the 'peak period' together. I hope we will see much the same in around 2021 or 2022.
    While I see the point you're trying to make. The Lions also benefited massively this year by recruiting mature aged players in Neale (26), McCarthy (25) & Lyons (27), who all slotted straight into their best 22.

That's an excellent example of how we can become a serious competitor for the flag. We could see last year that they had a lot good young players. Then they land Neale and Charlie Cameron, 2 players that can rocket a team up the ladder in short order. That could be us next year.

Yeh, that is where I think our focus of the list 'rebuild' has been on. Trying to keep enough experienced players around to still remain relevant and competitive, while trying to build a 'golden generation' from below. A few of our older guys have arguably dropped off much quicker then expected, so the transition is tougher than would have been hope. But come 2021-22, if we can keep the core that we are building now, and fill some gaps - there is going to be a very good football team potentially to be watched.

Brisbane are actually the example of how to become successful quickly. They hit rock bottom 2016, continually losing top draft picks to the go home factor. The also made some bad trading decisions (Fevola).
    Come 2017, Fagan and Noble are appointed. They sign established players to compliment their high draft picks, country lads with their mates who are unlikely to want to go to Melbourne. They let go players who statistically were good (Rockliff and Reddan) - brave decision for a struggling side, knowing that these guys will not get them up the table. Come 2019, they recognise that to unlock their outside run, they need some real ball winning grunt and sign Neale and Lyons. Now they are finals bound.
    We can do the same, just need to show the same decision making as Noble and Fagan.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    how can u say Lloyds efficiency is high, turns the ball over consistently
    His disposal efficiency is 81%. I would think that would be one of the highest going round, even if he does turn it over occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Charlie Constable would be a huge get for us, not that I think we will get him or Geelong will let him go cheaply (even though he's not playing ATM).

It's always a sellers market in these situations and if a team is high on a young opposition talent then clubs usually try and make you pay overs to get them, and I don't think we'll want to part with any reasonably high draft picks that they would no doubt demand!

I think we will focus on drafting a few quality talents, possibly trying to trade up to gain a few more higher picks if possible as it seems like a pretty deep draft in the first 20 to 25 picks.

If we could get Constable then great, as I think he has some real potential to become a future gun like JPK did when given a shot at another club, but I don't want to get my hopes up like I did last off season with all our failed attempts at landing opposition talent!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

According to Andy Mahr on SEN this afternoon, Buddy's remaining 3 years in his contract is worth $3.9m. 2020 1.5m, 2021 1.4m and 2022 1m. Does that sound right? I thought Buddy had already passed the 1.5m years in his contract?

Whisper tonight on SEN is that Congilio will most likely sign with Carlton.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    According to Andy Mahr on SEN this afternoon, Buddy's remaining 3 years in his contract is worth $3.9m. 2020 1.5m, 2021 1.4m and 2022 1m. Does that sound right? I thought Buddy had already passed the 1.5m years in his contract?

When I first read this I thought it said we were paying Buddy $3.9m in 2020 and I nearly had a heart attack!!

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

My understanding of the Buddy contract is that it was;
    $700K
    $700K
    $1.2M
    $1.2M
    $1.2M
    $1.3M
    $1.4M
    $1.5M
    $1.0M

Making 2021 his most expensive year.