Page 131 of 521 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,572 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Question. With so many retirements this year we are going to be cashed up. Does the mean we have to spend it all on current and some new players or can we stockpile some for when a catch like Buddy (Tippett?) next appears?

We have a lot of players, quite a few recently drafted, who can play small/medium forward or defender, flankers and the like. But many are crying out for more depth in the midfield.

Heeney is great tackler, besides his many other elite attributes. But his kicking can be inconsistent, especially for goal. Put him in the midfield.

Need a big bodied midfielder? Why not Dawson. Can't decide where his best position lies? Play him in the midfield. He was a great inside mid in the reserves. Covers a lot of ground and racks us plenty of tackles as well.

Make as sweetheart deal for Richmond's Mabior Chol. Rotate Chol and Aliir through the ruck and key defence. The dynamic Sudanese duo will be pure excitement and a real crowd draw. We can also trade off all our other ruckmen, creating plenty of list and cap space. Maybe keep 1, in case of injury.

For me re Dawson :

It is his capacity to influence the game by foot that is his greatest attribute.....he is brilliant short and long kicking

Let’s be honest when you play with a guy like hike you get on your bike no matter what and lead hard

That type of kicking ability makes you want to to a mark and put in the massive yards to run

I like his swing ability at HBF and HFF for now as it contributes most effectively to our team performance

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've often wondered to myself (and sometimes out loud to friends) which current Swan you would clone if you had the choice of just one.

Buddy? So that you can always have one on the ground while the other recovers from ailments? (And imagine if they were both fit at the same time!)

Heeney? To eliminate the question of whether his best position is in the midfield or up forward. I want him in both places.

Aliir? Against some kinds of ruckman he's proved himself to be a very effective roving type ruckman, and with limited experience in that role. Imagine how good he could become with more practice. But that robs him from his pivotal role in defence. What if he could have two?

Or, as you say, Dawson, who seems equipped to play almost every role on the ground (and he has even pinch hit in the ruck at times). He has the instincts of a crumbing small forward but can also roost them from outside 50. He has the height to become a Yeo style midfielder. But he also offers plenty rebounding from defence, with his strong overhead ability and pinpoint long kicking skills.

Not an easy choice.
    Don't forget Blakey! So versatile and that versatility should improve as he gets stronger.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Just heard Matthew Lloyd say: ,'When Carlton get Coniglio and Papley ....'.(AFL.com). I won't believe that until I see it! That would be up there with us losing Mummy and Mitchell!

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Just heard Matthew Lloyd say: ,'When Carlton get Coniglio and Papley ....'.(AFL.com). I won't believe that until I see it! That would be up there with us losing Mummy and Mitchell!
    Nothing less a first round pick otherwise the Blues can get stuffed. As stated by many here, you have to pay oversto get a player who's in contract.

- - - Updated - - -

And club should not cave if he says he's homesick. He can see out his contract like Tim Kelly if Carlton don't give us a first rounder. Happy for him to do that in the NEAFL if he has a dummy spit.

2 1st Rounders for Paps or see out your contract then we can still play hard ball or he enters the PS draft

We need to keep him and Jones, 2 young guys hitting the right amount of games and age

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Nothing less a first round pick otherwise the Blues can get stuffed. As stated by many here, you have to pay oversto get a player who's in contract.

- - - Updated - - -

And club should not cave if he says he's homesick. He can see out his contract like Tim Kelly if Carlton don't give us a first rounder. Happy for him to do that in the NEAFL if he has a dummy spit.
    I agree but with a caveat depending on his reasons. Say, for example, some important, close family member has a terminal illness and he wants to be close to them then I would still want fair compensation but not that we play overly hardball.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    All these Papley rumours sound like total and complete nonsense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    All these Papley rumours sound like total and complete nonsense to me
    I hope so, he's probably my favourite player atm and I'd be devastated if he left. I think the rumours are big enough now to warrant him coming forward and quashing them.

Say it aint so Tom!

I tend to have the same opinion of media statements by Lloyd, as I had of his appeals for free kicks.

I just watched it , he said “ if they can land Coniglio and Papley” . Little bit different. It’s not news the Blues are into both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk