Page 13 of 521 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I wonder when the Geelong fans will start to turn on Rohan. Although he's playing better at Geelong than he was with us, he again went missing for significant parts of the 2nd half as the giants came back and won that game.

I still look at him, and he still does the same things as he did at the swans. He has elite speed (no doubt), and he uses that to run away from the contest to be a free man time and time again. This is all fine if his team mates win the ball at the contest, and if they have the peripheral vision to see him afterwards. Two big if's that dont happen that often... hence he doesnt get much ball.
    He needs to realise that speed is just one part of the game, and being a hard in-and-at-it footballer is also a skill he has and should use.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Are you sure we have cap space? Buddy's contract is heavily back ended.
    This one has been done to death already, but yes according to the club we have plenty of cap space even with Buddy's salary. Dustin Martin and a few others are on very similar $'s to Buddy and you don't hear about Richmond having a tight cap, in fact they recruited the highest paid free agent last off season

If the club is fibbing and we don't have cap space (very unlikely), it would be mismanagement of the highest order given our list profile and the number and quality of players we have shed over previous seasons.

Veterans List
    Andrew Ireland around his departure time said we have space to chase a significant player this year.

Don't forget how many contracts we jettisoned last year and the fact several more will go this year through retirement. Quite a number of players earn Buddy type money now and wait until Josh Kelly signs at GWS or elsewhere.

It's far too early in the season to project that we should go after a star player this year. It doesn't pay to put a lot of salary cap into a star at the top of his game, like Coniglio, if we're not in the premiership window, as they say.

The Swans have a lot of young players with high potential. We need to leave spots for them to develop. If not, our own future stars will want to go elsewhere for more opportunity. We don't want to create another Tom Mitchell situation.

We also need to retain players like Zak Jones, who are now coming into their prime.

I mentioned in another thread that I thought we had 6 players in our NEAFL team on Sunday who could easily become fixture in our 2020 side: COR, Melican, Stoddart, Ling, Cameron and Rowbottom. There are several others who are playing well and could also be challenging for spots, like Bell and Amartey. The only mature player in our senior side last week who might not be around next year is KJ, so we have a lot of players looking to get into the side and not that many going out.

It will be interesting to see how the team is going in August and what we think about our future prospects. We might see a turnaround within this season, putting us back on an upward trajectory.

A lot happens during the season beyond expectations.

I think there is an advantage of having a closely aged group of players coming through system together. It could presage a sustained period of premiership contention.

Some goid points there Ludwig but I think that more than Jack will be moving on next year. Add in Grundy and McVeigh for starters. We also have players on our list who are not performing anywhere near what their high salary suggests e.g. Reid, and some that are probably not up to it e.g. Rose. Last year we had a lot of changes to our list (at least 10 from memory) and it could be a similar story at the end of this season especially if we miss the finals.

Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and our team regains fitness and form and we make the finals again resulting in few changes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Some goid points there Ludwig but I think that more than Jack will be moving on next year. Add in Grundy and McVeigh for starters. We also have players on our list who are not performing anywhere near what their high salary suggests e.g. Reid, and some that are probably not up to it e.g. Rose. Last year we had a lot of changes to our list (at least 10 from memory) and it could be a similar story at the end of this season especially if we miss the finals.

Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and our team regains fitness and form and we make the finals again resulting in few changes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Ludwig's observation was about those who played in the senior side last week - he even bolded it for emphasis. Neither Grundy nor McVeigh played.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's far too early in the season to project that we should go after a star player this year. It doesn't pay to put a lot of salary cap into a star at the top of his game, like Coniglio, if we're not in the premiership window, as they say.

The Swans have a lot of young players with high potential. We need to leave spots for them to develop. If not, our own future stars will want to go elsewhere for more opportunity. We don't want to create another Tom Mitchell situation.

We also need to retain players like Zak Jones, who are now coming into their prime.

I mentioned in another thread that I thought we had 6 players in our NEAFL team on Sunday who could easily become fixture in our 2020 side: COR, Melican, Stoddart, Ling, Cameron and Rowbottom. There are several others who are playing well and could also be challenging for spots, like Bell and Amartey. The only mature player in our senior side last week who might not be around next year is KJ, so we have a lot of players looking to get into the side and not that many going out.

It will be interesting to see how the team is going in August and what we think about our future prospects. We might see a turnaround within this season, putting us back on an upward trajectory.

A lot happens during the season beyond expectations.

I think there is an advantage of having a closely aged group of players coming through system together. It could presage a sustained period of premiership contention.
    I don't agree that Jack will be the only player leaving. Macca and Reg are both on one year contracts and I don't think thry will be offered another contract. Rose, Pink (although a bit sad about this kid as I think he is jilust starting to dhow a bit after horrific injuries), Clarke if he doesn't come good.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't agree that Jack will be the only player leaving. Macca and Reg are both on one year contracts and I don't think thry will be offered another contract.
    Read Liz's previous post....posted 16 minutes before yours.

I don't agree that Jack will be the only player leaving. Macca and Reg are both on one year contracts and I don't think thry will be offered another contract. Rose, Pink (although a bit sad about this kid as I think he is jilust starting to dhow a bit after horrific injuries), Clarke if he doesn't come good.

I figure there will be the usual 7-9 list changes this year, but that's just the normal course of business. Perhaps we will add another Irishman, a delisted or unwanted player or 2 from another club, a couple of academy kids and our 1st 2 ND draft picks. None of this changes the situation I was addressing. The remaining 35 players or so will all be competing for spots in the senior side, most having some legitimate claim for consideration. The main point is that the past 6 drafts have produced a higher than usual number of AFL quality players who will need to develop at senior level after doing a year or 2 apprenticeship in the NEAFL, and our capacity to find spots for those deserving players.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Read Liz's previous post....posted 16 minutes before yours.
    It’s excluding some pretty important details when talking retirements and salary cap space hence wolfs comments

We definitely have cap space

We definitely have cap space

How do you know that?