Page 17 of 521 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Credit where it's due. Excellent article.
    Yes agreed. I thought that he was spot on in most of what he said.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think Niall has got about 75% of the way there. It's good to see him acknowledge that we were pretty unlucky in 2016. Putting aside reservations about selecting certain players who had been injured, and the contributions of the men in white (or whatever colour they were wearing that day), I strongly believe that had Franklin not injured himself in the opening minutes, we would have won that game comfortably. But with him robbed of his explosiveness, our very young forward line (Papley, Hewett, Richards, Heeney) lost their way. Sure a couple of other players were below their best too, but I believe a rampaging JPK and fully functional Buddy would have steeled the rest of the group sufficiently.

What seems to be being missed (and Niall misses it too), is that Buddy isn't at the Swans because they chased him hard with a financial deal too hard to resist. First and foremost he's at the Swans because he wanted to live in Sydney. Clarkson has acknowledged that he knew life in the intense spotlight applied by the Melbourne media was getting to Franklin during his last couple of seasons at Hawthorn. Not only did a move north suit his marital circumstances, it gave him a chance to escape to a place where he could live an almost normal life for 6 days a week. Those speculating about him seeing out the end of his career in Melbourne are paying no regard to the fact he's an individual with lifestyle preferences that almost certainly don't fit their agenda.

I also think Niall's conclusion that he's on some inevitable football decline are premature to say the least. It was barely six months ago that he was named captain of the AA team. Now, after a short month at the start of the season, playing in a semi-functioning team and coming off an almost non-existent pre-season, he is being written off as a has-been. Even players in their mid-20s comment how hard it is to play when they don't have a solid pre-season campaign. I know we live in a goldfish bowl world, where the only thing that matters is what happened five minutes ago, and we crave instant answers and even more immediate gratification. But the real world ain't like that.
    I think it's highly unlikely Buddy will be traded, although I think if it cost us $1m over 3 years to offload him and his salary (as Niall suggests), that's not ridiculous, that's only $333k per year. The HS article pointed out we offered $2m more over the life of the deal than GW$ did, so perhaps we could have got him for less. I know it's heresy, but its possible that, as a player, he may not be worth $1.4m next year and $1m the next.

We do have some pretty glaring holes in our list, either current or imminent, including at full-forward. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made in order to rectify the situation. I think the process started last year when the club drew a line under Rohan and Hanners. We've chosen to play an inexperienced team rather than persist with those two (even if we did try and trade in some cheaper experience).

Kennedy is 31 this year, 32 next, if you take him out of our midfield, we'd be even more stuffed than at present. Do we think his replacement is currently on the Swans list, in the draft, or playing at another club? If it's going to be Rowbottom, surely he has to get into the AFL pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Careful. They burn people at the stake on RAWO for that kind of heresy
    Agree it’s a big generalisation I feel that bud gets kicked to more then riewoldt or other forwards like Hawkins or Taylor etc

I suspect it isn’t much more - it may even be less

We can’t say either way without the data

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    We seem to have a lot of players out of contract at year end, check out below: source footy wire

Sydney Players Out of Contract in 2019

Name Years Service Status
    Colin O'Riordan 4 Non-Free Agent
    Daniel Menzel 1 Non-Free Agent
    Darcy Cameron 3 Non-Free Agent
    Durak Tucker 1 Non-Free Agent
    H.Cunningham 8 Restricted Free Agent
    Harry Reynolds 1 Non-Free Agent
    Hayden McLean 1 Non-Free Agent
    Heath Grundy 15 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Jack Maibaum 3 Non-Free Agent
    J.Thurlow 1 Non-Free Agent
    James Bell 2 Non-Free Agent
    James Rose 5 Non-Free Agent
    Jarrad McVeigh 16 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Joel Amartey 2 Non-Free Agent
    Jordan Dawson 4 Non-Free Agent
    Kieren Jack 14 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Kurt Tippett 7 Non-Free Agent
    Nick Smith 12 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Robbie Fox 3 Non-Free Agent
    Ryan Clarke 1 Non-Free Agent
    Toby Pink 3 Non-Free Agent
    Zak Jones 6 Non-Free Agent

Some should/have retire, or should be made to retire: Kieren Jack, Heath Grundy, Nick Smith, Jarrad McVeigh, Kurt Tippett.

Some should be cut either though we have just recruited them: Ryan Clarke, would like to give Thurlow & Menzel a go, but unless they amaze for the rest of the season, they are just stopping the development of younger players

Some young players who have had a chance and not prove themselves at AFL level: Jack Maibaum, James Rose, Robbie Fox, Colin O'Riordan

Some players who are Non-Free Agent but if we got an amazing draft offer for them take it: Zak Jones, Darcy Cameron

All the other players are young and should be given a go to develop, especially Pink: yes i know he hasn't produce enough, but one or two years more won't break the bank and we have already invested a lot in him so keep him.

Basically we need a real clean out of older players who won't be in our next premiership and the younger players who after several years on our list have not prove they are good AFL players.

Another note, we are really going to have some salary cap space; so let not burn it with crap, non best 22 players from other club.
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    We seem to have a lot of players out of contract at year end, check out below: source footy wire

Sydney Players Out of Contract in 2019

Name Years Service Status
    Colin O'Riordan 4 Non-Free Agent
    Daniel Menzel 1 Non-Free Agent
    Darcy Cameron 3 Non-Free Agent
    Durak Tucker 1 Non-Free Agent
    H.Cunningham 8 Restricted Free Agent
    Harry Reynolds 1 Non-Free Agent
    Hayden McLean 1 Non-Free Agent
    Heath Grundy 15 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Jack Maibaum 3 Non-Free Agent
    J.Thurlow 1 Non-Free Agent
    James Bell 2 Non-Free Agent
    James Rose 5 Non-Free Agent
    Jarrad McVeigh 16 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Joel Amartey 2 Non-Free Agent
    Jordan Dawson 4 Non-Free Agent
    Kieren Jack 14 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Kurt Tippett 7 Non-Free Agent
    Nick Smith 12 Unrestricted Free Agent
    Robbie Fox 3 Non-Free Agent
    Ryan Clarke 1 Non-Free Agent
    Toby Pink 3 Non-Free Agent
    Zak Jones 6 Non-Free Agent

Some should/have retire, or should be made to retire: Kieren Jack, Heath Grundy, Nick Smith, Jarrad McVeigh, Kurt Tippett.

Some should be cut either though we have just recruited them: Ryan Clarke, would like to give Thurlow & Menzel a go, but unless they amaze for the rest of the season, they are just stopping the development of younger players

Some young players who have had a chance and not prove themselves at AFL level: Jack Maibaum, James Rose, Robbie Fox, Colin O'Riordan

Some players who are Non-Free Agent but if we got an amazing draft offer for them take it: Zak Jones, Darcy Cameron

All the other players are young and should be given a go to develop, especially Pink: yes i know he hasn't produce enough, but one or two years more won't break the bank and we have already invested a lot in him so keep him.

Basically we need a real clean out of older players who won't be in our next premiership and the younger players who after several years on our list have not prove they are good AFL players.

Another note, we are really going to have some salary cap space; so let not burn it with crap, non best 22 players from other club.
    We have historically picked up some very good fringe 22 players from other clubs - eg Ted Richards, Marty Mattner, Ben McGlynn , Josh Kennedy, mumford, jolly . You cant just go out and buy topliners , the salary cap will not permit it and taking top draft picks is not the answer either - there is plenty of evidence of that.

There needs to be a balance and sometimes those guys work out and sometimes they dont. If one of thurlow or clarke work out it will be a worthwhile exercise. If they dont then that s recruiting.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    We have historically picked up some very good fringe 22 players from other clubs - eg Ted Richards, Marty Mattner, Ben McGlynn , Josh Kennedy, mumford, jolly . You cant just go out and buy topliners , the salary cap will not permit it and taking top draft picks is not the answer either - there is plenty of evidence of that.

There needs to be a balance and sometimes those guys work out and sometimes they dont. If one of thurlow or clarke work out it will be a worthwhile exercise. If they dont then that s recruiting.
    True but all those players were from a long time ago:
    Ted Richards: 2007 join Swans
    Marty Mattner: 2008 join Swans
    Ben McGlynn: 2010 join Swans
    Josh Kennedy: 2010 join Swans
    Mumford: 2010 join Swans
    Jolly:2005 join Swans

We haven't got a first class recruit, apart from Buddy, for a very long time.
    Either our recruiting has got worse or other clubs have got a lot better at identifying and keeping talent; maybe a bit or both.
    doof-doof

I really think we have to hang on to Jones at all costs. He's young and exactly the type of player we need more of. If we start letting our best young players go in exchange for draft picks (and they were talking about him being "worth" about pick 20, that's because he'd be going from Sydney to Melbourne, he's worth much more than that but we wouldn't get it, only got 14 for a future Brownlow medalist) we'll become Carlton.

The clearout will largely clear itself out as McVeigh, Grundy, Smith, Jack, Tippett(!!!) will probably retire this year or next. As Mr Magoo says, we aren't going to be able to fill our team with Coniglio's, although if GWS offered to swap him for Buddy, and we keep paying the original salaries, I'd take it.

I remember last year at trade time waiting for the Swans masterstroke to be revealed ... and then nothing. So I'm praying that this year, they will bring in some serious talent, in the right age bracket. Another year of ins like 2010 would be pretty handy, including a ruckman!

Veteran Site Admin
    Agree that persuading Jones to stay should be priority number 1. He's just entering his peak years, is improving at a good rate, and brings something different to our midfield mix. He's likely to get bigger offers from clubs like St Kilda, who have money to burn in their salary cap, so we have to hope that he likes living in Sydney and sees a positive future for the current playing list.

If he leaves for a much bigger financial offer (that the Swans don't think makes sense to match), that will be one thing. If he leaves just to go back to Melbourne, and for a financial offer in the same ball-park as the Swans' offer (eg to a Hawthorn, or Melbourne), that will be intensely annoying, and will add credence to the northern clubs' belief that they do need some kind of retention allowance while the mix of local/interstate players remains so imbalanced compared to other clubs.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Yes agreed. I thought that he was spot on in most of what he said.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    It was a good article but I would suggest one factual change to this sentence:

"On the field, the Swans made two grand finals, in 2014 and 2016, and they were unfortunate to lose the latter game to the Bulldogs on an afternoon when Buddy hurt his ankle in the opening minutes and the footy gods wore red, white and blue."

That last bit should read "and the umpires and AFL administrators wore red, white and blue for not just the GF but the entire finals series." The 'fairypups' should not have even made it to the 2016 GF !!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Kennedy is 31 this year, 32 next, if you take him out of our midfield, we'd be even more stuffed than at present. Do we think his replacement is currently on the Swans list, in the draft, or playing at another club? If it's going to be Rowbottom, surely he has to get into the AFL pretty soon.
    Rowbottom yes but also this bloke.....Brayden Sier of the Magpies. Great in the finals series last year but hasn't cracked a game this season.

Time for a trade? 10 out-of-favour players your club could target - AFL.com.au

From the above article:

Brayden Sier – Collingwood

Games this year: Nil
    Contract: 2019
    Would suit: Sydney

A major success story in the Pies' run to the Grand Final last year after cracking an AFL debut in round 15 and playing the final 12 matches. Went at 22 disposals and 5.3 clearances in the Pies' four finals but is yet to earn a senior game this season following the arrival of Dayne Beams. With Scott Pendlebury now 31, Sier would be the logical future replacement, but at 21 is he prepared to wait that long? Sydney's Josh Kennedy turns 31 this year. Could Sier do a Kennedy and head north as an inside bull?

Makes a lot of sense to me.....

True but all those players were from a long time ago:
    Ted Richards: 2007 join Swans
    Marty Mattner: 2008 join Swans
    Ben McGlynn: 2010 join Swans
    Josh Kennedy: 2010 join Swans
    Mumford: 2010 join Swans
    Jolly:2005 join Swans

We haven't got a first class recruit, apart from Buddy, for a very long time.
    Either our recruiting has got worse or other clubs have got a lot better at identifying and keeping talent; maybe a bit or both.
    Thats a pretty damning statistic, and points to a long dry period for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Rowbottom yes but also this bloke.....Brayden Sier of the Magpies. Great in the finals series last year but hasn't cracked a game this season.

Time for a trade? 10 out-of-favour players your club could target - AFL.com.au

From the above article:

Brayden Sier – Collingwood

Games this year: Nil
    Contract: 2019
    Would suit: Sydney

A major success story in the Pies' run to the Grand Final last year after cracking an AFL debut in round 15 and playing the final 12 matches. Went at 22 disposals and 5.3 clearances in the Pies' four finals but is yet to earn a senior game this season following the arrival of Dayne Beams. With Scott Pendlebury now 31, Sier would be the logical future replacement, but at 21 is he prepared to wait that long? Sydney's Josh Kennedy turns 31 this year. Could Sier do a Kennedy and head north as an inside bull?

Makes a lot of sense to me.....
    I think they nicked that idea off of RWO. There seem to be a lot of clubs who'll be interested in Sier. Sadly the Pies do a pretty good job of keeping players and squeezing them into their salary cap.