Page 189 of 521 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 2,257 to 2,268 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Resign Zak Jones
    Watching Heppell, Parish, Shiel absolutely butcher the ball, Zak is every bit as good as them and wont cost as much
    I agree in so much that we should try and match any offer he gets from elsewhere within reason. If he just wants out, nothing much we can do about that.

We have a good best 22, able to match it with any team in the league.

Just need to develop a bit more depth and be able to cover our injuries better. Or not have any like the Lions, who pretty much have every listed player available this weekend.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    What has happened to Shiel? He used to be good. A friend who is a long time Bombers supporter tells me at their games now
    in Melbourne there is a very audible collective sigh from all the Bombers faithful every time he misses his umpteenth target
    for the game.
    Paid big for him too :-) He's always looked such a nice mover that maybe we overlooked his poor disposal? Probably looked better too at GWS because he was surrounded by A grade talent, more exposed in the Bombers midfield. (Edit - just saw your similar response Ugg)

Shiel has always been the same. Good player but he butchers it. I just think people didn't watch as much of GWS.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Is it just me or does everyone else that was around at the time, spit three times when mentioning the name of Des Tuddenham? ptuh, ptuh, ptuh
    Ah yes Des Tuddenham was coach that year (1978) when we traded Terry & Neil to the Bombers. He took over from Ian Stewart who just coached us to the finals the year before (1977) and then returned after Tuddy was sacked to be our final senior coach at the Lakeside Oval. They were weird times as Stewart coached Carlton in between only to resign after a few games because of ill health. Jezza then took over as Capt/Coach and Carlton went on to win the flag in 1979. All sorts of rumours was floating around at the time as to what was happening in the background to all this. No one at South ever put their hand up to being responsible for the Danihers/Fields trade, but suspect Tuddy had a lot to do with it being the former Capt/Coach of Essendon after leaving the Pies.

I met Neville Fields in the late 80's who was playing cricket for Essendon in the VJCA (along with Denis Pagan) and sharing a beer after a day's play some of our guys cheekily raised his trade with the Danihers. Fields said his best football years was with South, which does gets overlooked as i do recall him playing many fine games for us. He was a beautiful left foot kick who could kick long goals on the run, just like Mark Browning (both played together).
    Last edited by KSAS; 6th September 2019 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Ah yes Des Tuddenham was coach that year (1978) when we traded Terry & Neil to the Bombers. He took over from Ian Stewart who just coached us to the finals the year before (1977) and then returned after Tuddy was sacked to be our final senior coach at the Lakeside Oval. They were weird times as Stewart coached Carlton in between only to resign after a few games because of ill health. Jezza then took over as Capt/Coach and Carlton went on to win the flag in 1979. All sorts of rumours was floating around at the time as to what was happening in the background to all this. No one at South ever put their hand up to being responsible for the Danihers/Fields trade, but suspect Tuddy had a lot to do with it being the former Capt/Coach of Essendon after leaving the Pies.

I met Neville Fields in the late 80's who was playing cricket for Essendon in the VJCA (along with Denis Pagan) and sharing a beer after a day's play some of our guys cheekily raised his trade with the Danihers. Fields said his best football years was with South, which does gets overlooked as i do recall him playing many fine games for us. He was a beautiful left foot kick who could kick long goals on the run, just like Mark Browning (both played together).
    you are right about neville Fields - he was a great player for us when we had very little. Unfortunately it was a short period of time and the Daniher legacy lived on forever. Maybe it will turn full circle in the next 12 months

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    South have dished out some bad trades too. John Pitura to Richmond, Graham Teasdale, Brian Roberts, Francis Jackson and $40,000 to South Melbourne.

Worst AFL trades ever
    Fair call. Pitura didn't fire a shot at Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    What has happened to Shiel? He used to be good. A friend who is a long time Bombers supporter tells me at their games now
    in Melbourne there is a very audible collective sigh from all the Bombers faithful every time he misses his umpteenth target
    for the game.
    Shiel was good when he was surrounded by other elite mids. That is no longer the case.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I was thinking that last night. Not many ex-Giants have gone on to be great players, and quite a few of them were better when they were at the giants. Maybe Leon Cameron is not as bad a coach as everyone thinks.

- - - Updated - - -

But how good was Jetta's disposal. He's my favourite ex-swan player.

Speaking of ex-players, is Rowan playing in tonights final ?
    We need to be realistic about Jetta. He did very little for us other than that one very good year in 2012. His kicking is elite but he's lazy. That's why he has spent a lot of time in the WAFL.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    We need to be realistic about Jetta. He did very little for us other than that one very good year in 2012. His kicking is elite but he's lazy. That's why he has spent a lot of time in the WAFL.
    His best years were 2014 and 2015 when he became a complete player. He still hasn't returned to that level at WCE, although he's very good with ball in hand and he's working pretty hard and makes a nice dynamic trio with Ryan and Rioli.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Jetta ain't lazy, he's one of the most composed AFL player I've seen in years. You've mistaken his composure for laziness. A lot of great athletes possesses this inner calm demeaner about them....think Roger Federer, it looks like the game slows down for him. It's a quality needed to get in the zone.

Warming the Bench
    Watching Darcy Moore last night I couldn't help but feel he would look much better in red and white