Page 203 of 521 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,425 to 2,436 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Papley has to be our priority. Players of his quality and type don't come along too often. He kicked 38 goals as a small forward and he hasn't peaked. If he follows his form improvement and we get a decent season from Buddy he should kick 50 goals in 2020. That is an enormous return for a small forward. That sort of return means we make finals. Jones is no way going to give us anywhere near this output as a midfielder, and for that matter anywhere else on the field. Daniher has played 11 games in 2 years. The retention of Papley at all costs is a no brainer to me.
    IIRC he was the last player taken in the rookie draft. Players of his quality and type come up all the time.

Hell, we have one (another rookie gem) in our own squad right now - while it wasn't a great year for Ronke, I could argue that his skills could exceed those of Papley's.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    IIRC he was the last player taken in the rookie draft. Players of his quality and type come up all the time.

Hell, we have one (another rookie gem) in our own squad right now - while it wasn't a great year for Ronke, I could argue that his skills could exceed those of Papley's.
    Hope I'm wrong but I reckon Ronke will be lucky to stay on the list after next year. Not in the same class as Papley.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Hope I'm wrong but I reckon Ronke will be lucky to stay on the list after next year. Not in the same class as Papley.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    I would beg to differ. He probably won't be as good as Papley, but that's hardly the point. It's really not fair comparing a 23 yo with 82 games experience and a 21 yo with 31 games experience. Ronke has real talent, a good sense for goal, good pace and a strong determination to succeed. Ronke had an exceptionally good 1st AFL season last year (played NEAFL in 2017). I don't know why he started this year so slowly, but he had a much improved 2nd half of the season after he came back in the senior side. I don't see why Ronke couldn't go on to surpass his 2018 form and become a very good consistent player.

If Carlton are throwing big money at Martin and are trying to entice Papley, it won’t be too long before they’ll be in serious salary cap trouble. McGovern must be on a pretty penny, and then keeping the Curnows, Cripps and McKay won’t be cheap. Assuming, of course, they don’t fudge it...,.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    . Assuming, of course, they don’t fudge it...,.
    Been to the John "Piggy" Elliot school of creative accounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Lewis Taylor - lions.com.au

Used less in 2019 only 5 games

100 afl games only 25yrs old next season

Clever agile forward 50 entry player to find our target markers and the type of player we don’t have in the squad

Maybe a pick 60 in return like say Rohan trade Last year

??
    The Lewis Taylor situation is weird. He won the Rising Star ahead of players like Josh Kelly, Daniher, Bontempelli, Matt Crouch, Aish, Impey, Langdon, Dunstan, McDonald, etc. He must have the ability. Since then he's fallen off the cliff. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Has there been any report that money is an issue regarding Papley's contract? There hasn't been a squeak of a problem from the Papley camp, nor the Swans. He just extended his contract, so one would imagine that extension came with an acceptable amount of compensation.

There's too much chatter not to think that there's some truth that Paps would be interested in a move to Melbourne, but I don't think money is an issue. The contract length make the Swans' negotiation hand more powerful and runs counter to the logic of Paps wanting a change clubs. I think he really loves the Swans. There are other people that are instigating this supposed desire to go home.
    I don't think there is any confirmation that Papleys contract has been extended four years. He has apparently triggered an extension clause, but we don't know for certain that he accepted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would beg to differ. He probably won't be as good as Papley, but that's hardly the point. It's really not fair comparing a 23 yo with 82 games experience and a 21 yo with 31 games experience. Ronke has real talent, a good sense for goal, good pace and a strong determination to succeed. Ronke had an exceptionally good 1st AFL season last year (played NEAFL in 2017). I don't know why he started this year so slowly, but he had a much improved 2nd half of the season after he came back in the senior side. I don't see why Ronke couldn't go on to surpass his 2018 form and become a very good consistent player.
    Ronke doesn't have the defensive mindset that Paps does though. Aside from kicking goals, Paps is a great defensive forward which is so important in today's game. Let's hope it was just the second year blues that dictated his form this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    If Carlton are throwing big money at Martin and are trying to entice Papley, it won’t be too long before they’ll be in serious salary cap trouble. McGovern must be on a pretty penny, and then keeping the Curnows, Cripps and McKay won’t be cheap. Assuming, of course, they don’t fudge it...,.
    Especially now that the Footy Show no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Ronke doesn't have the defensive mindset that Paps does though. Aside from kicking goals, Paps is a great defensive forward which is so important in today's game. Let's hope it was just the second year blues that dictated his form this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially now that the Footy Show no longer exists.
    Ronke also lacks poise when compared to Papley. He can tend to panic under pressure and rush shots at goal. His disposal under pressure can also be problematic. Personally, I think that he is not in the same league as Papley and would need to improve considerably to be regarded similarly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Ronke also lacks poise when compared to Papley. He can tend to panic under pressure and rush shots at goal. His disposal under pressure can also be problematic. Personally, I think that he is not in the same league as Papley and would need to improve considerably to be regarded similarly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Papley rushed his disposals in his first year or two as well. Ronke showed more poise in the last couple of games this year. I think it's a confidence thing. A reasonable stretch in the firsts should help.