Page 21 of 521 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I can't remember if anyone has posted this article on Jordan Dawson. There is a lot of focus on resigning Jones (who I also think is a priority) but I'd like us to resign JD too. I liked his game against the Dees and think he should be on the park every week moving forward.
    From Discover on Google No longer all at sea, Dawson is finding his feet as a Swan
    Just catching up with my RWO reading, so only just saw this. Thanks for the heads up on an interesting article, Mark26. I agree with your conclusions: let's re-sign him, and keep him on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    On a different tack, I've been thinking about what is Blakey's best position. It seems that the initial plan was to play him as a tall across half forward, a position where we do have some options, albeit not firing lately. Watching him play in the NEAFL, he was used on ball and in the midfield. He showed an excellent turn of speed, good foot and hand skills and was hard at the ball. Should we be playing him there at AFL level with an eye to the future? It would get him more involved then in our forward 50, especially as the ball is not getting there anyway. I know there are arguments against playing a youngster in the midfield, due to conditioning and size but other clubs are doing it successfully (Walsh, Butters, Drew, Ross, Constable, Stack etc). Blakey could potentially be our version of the Bont.
    I wondered if they could use him in the ruck

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The dogs have put Bont in there and Port have used Westhoff on occasion.

I don’t feel at this stage in his development it would be a good move , his body would get battered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching the Essendon vs Collingwood warm up it occurred to me that a factor in our demise has been our failure to receive players from the GWS and Gold Coast diaspora. A fair chunk of the recent draft bounty over three last five years has passed through those clubs and we've received none of it. Trading in ready made guns like Trelor, Shiel, O'Meara, Lynch makes a huge difference. All picked big destination Melbourne clubs. Losing COLA was disaster in that regard. Haven't landed anyone of note since it was removed.

Let's hope names like Gulden, Ellem, Raynor and Blakey compensate.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Watching the Essendon vs Collingwood warm up it occurred to me that a factor in our demise has been our failure to receive players from the GWS and Gold Coast diaspora. A fair chunk of the recent draft bounty over three last five years has passed through those clubs and we've received none of it. Trading in ready made guns like Trelor, Shiel, O'Meara, Lynch makes a huge difference. All picked big destination Melbourne clubs. Losing COLA was disaster in that regard. Haven't landed anyone of note since it was removed.

Good post.

Absolutely agree. All these quality high draft picks jumping ship and not 1 were ever linked to or close to coming to us.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same, how the Melbourne clubs have robbed the northern clubs blind. Like Hawthorne getting Scully, O'Meara and Scrimshaw.

Collingwood got: Taylor Adams, James Aish, Beams, Crisp, Hoskin-Elliot and Treloar.
    Essendon got: Saad, Shiel and Devon Smith.

It makes things a lot easier when you can get access to so many good players.

We can't complain too much. We got Buddy and a lot of very good players from other clubs before that. But that was the end of it for us for 6 years. And we haven't gone after players from the other northern clubs. I think it's time to get going again in the post season. Hopefully we have a good base with our drafted players and we just have to fill a couple of gaps to make us contenders again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Up here in Brisbane, all the talk is how the Lions are now are "destination" club. Certainly the recruitment of Neale and previously Beams and Hodge, along with the retention of it's young draft talent, would back this up. Alot of the credit is given to Fagan and Noble. My question is are we a destination club anymore? Will anyone of note want to come to us for reasonable money? If we were to get early draft picks, will they want to stay beyond their minimum 2 years? The failure to recruit Langdon or Moore last year might indicate that we are no longer a desired club to come to?
    Listening to the Age AFL podcast. Last year Tim Kelly wanted to be traded back West but refused to be traded to Freo. This week, apparently his manager was touring their facilities.

Which demonstrates that players are primarily motivated by success, which would make the current Swans a lot less appealing than the 2016 or even 2018 version.

Caroline Wilson has a bee in her bonnet that the Swans not a happy club right now, which would make sense on one level simply because we’re losing. She implied it goes deeper than that.

She said Gary Rohan had said his last year was like “walking on eggshells”

See there have been suggestions in both the Age and Hun that we swap coaches with North. They get Longmire and we get Scott!

Senior Player
    Listening to the Age AFL podcast. Last year Tim Kelly wanted to be traded back West but refused to be traded to Freo. This week, apparently his manager was touring their facilities.

Which demonstrates that players are primarily motivated by success, which would make the current Swans a lot less appealing than the 2016 or even 2018 version.

Caroline Wilson has a bee in her bonnet that the Swans not a happy club right now, which would make sense on one level simply because we’re losing. She implied it goes deeper than that.

See there have been suggestions in both the Age and Hun that we swap coaches with North. They get Longmire and we get Scott!
    They make up crap for the sake of it. Embarrassing.

Lose lose...

On the veteran's list
    What, they get a premiership coach with an unblemished finals-only record and we get a dud? Good trade! Plus if the Longmire boys are any good they'd leave the academy and go to north under F/S. Don't think so!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.