Page 255 of 521 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305355 ... LastLast
Results 3,049 to 3,060 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Only have to look at last year when Freo traded in an injury proned Hogan for picks 6 & 23 to Melbourne. He's hardly played, if at all this year. To make that deal happen, they traded out Lachie Neal & pick 30 to Brisbane for their picks 6, 19 & 55. Which 2 clubs you think is winning from those trades at the moment?

I think we all agree that if there is any truth to either if those articles then we can stop referring to Beatson and Dalrymple as the best in the business

I’m in shock that Barrett has suggested Pick 9 is too much for Papley and they would want something back!!!??? I’m mean WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I think we all agree that if there is any truth to either if those articles then we can stop referring to Beatson and Dalrymple as the best in the business
    I agree. If they tick off on what is being reported (pick 5 and 9 to Essendon, Papley and 2nd rounder to Carlton for 9) then they are crazy.

Danihers injury just sounds chronic and he is unlikely to ever get a prolonged run at 100% fitness. As an indication of how difficult groin injuries can be, his brother Darcy had to retire early from one.

To put this into perspective, West Coast will not need to pay anywhere near as much to get Kelly. I am in no doubt that a player like Kelly would be much more beneficial than Daniher.

I hope this is all just crap reporting but I'm starting to worry it could be true.........

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Tom Harley, KB and Longmire are all quite risk averse individuals. I can't see them rolling the dice on a risky acquisition that could cost the club dearly, even if the upside on Daniher is high if all goes well. They've stuck by the rebuild through the draft plan for six years and are finally at the point where we won't have any projected retiring players after next season, plus 2 hot academy prospects in the 2020 draft. We can pick up a good player with our pick 5: I would be happy with Serong, Flanders or Hayden Young, and one has to be available when our time comes. We can also get another solid player with our second round pick.

Barry is right in pointing out that this is a big year for Tom Harley. He needs to have solid post season. Not a speculative one or anything spectacular. We have a lot pieces in place. Let's not blow it.
    Please don't tell Barry he's right.
    It upsets the natural order.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Only have to look at last year when Freo traded in an injury proned Hogan for picks 6 & 23 to Melbourne. He's hardly played, if at all this year. To make that deal happen, they traded out Lachie Neal & pick 30 to Brisbane for their picks 6, 19 & 55. Which 2 clubs you think is winning from those trades at the moment?
    No point having star forwards if they are:
    a) Always out injured
    b) Don't have a decent half back / midfield to give them decent service

Neale for Hogan is a clear demonstration of this, with Lions 2nd at regular season's end ( done without dominant KPF ) and Freo in free fall (with Lobb and Hogan and a midfield that got regularly beaten).

It will even out or not happen as all teams have a plan A, Plan B all the way thru to a Plan Z

I’m not stressed over this media beat up at all

Bombers know joe is a FA next year

I reckon we might ask for jo and a strong bodied 21/22yr old midfielder like say Dylan Clarke from the bombers (Ryan Clarke’s brother)

I can’t see us giving up picks 5 & say a 9 this year or next draft......... there is no way we will do this for Jo D alone in my opinion given his FA status next year

Let’s be honest pick 9ish this draft doesn’t look any better then taking on an emerging midfielder that has 3/4 pre seasons under his belt and ready for a role at the Swans and has played a bit of Snrs. This would be a coupe for us but not look bad for the bombers !
    Last edited by liz; 3rd October 2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Don't cut and paste material from another website without providing a source and a link

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!

This mornings article on the AFL website suggesting we're giving pick 5 & 9 to Essendon for Daniher! Also Saying we're trading PapleyPLUS SOMETHING ELSE to Carlton for pick 9.

Just NO, NO, NO. Has the potential to set us back years, we could end up a perennial wilderness side with a trade like that - for an injury ravaged player who DOESN'T fill an immediate need.

FFS, do it next year when he's a RFA and when he MAY HAVE shown he's over his osteo pubis problem. NO, NO, NO!!!!!!
    I don't think it will happen.
    Personally there is alot more noise out there what is probably happening within the four walls.
    We hold the chocolates this time round with Paps. He's stated over and over that he's happy at Sydney so if a good deal for the club can't be made, he will stay. So the club isn't under any pressure whatsoever, so cooler heads need to prevail here.

With JD, There's no way Essendon are getting 2 first round picks. However, they're always going to ask for that at the start of negotiations. However, I think the best they'll get is a second round pick for him. For us, we're not going to give up our first Top 5 pick in 10 years for a bloke that hasn't played in 2 years. And the best thing about it is we're happy to wait another year to see if his OP comes good and then sign him as a FA.

So we need to have a little more faith in the club to do the best thing for the club.
    We all know how bad the Tippett trade went so that would have to be on the back of the recruiters minds to not let something like that happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    God please no. My belly just churned. Papley is worth more than Daniher, let alone Papley and pick 5. I hope it's rumours. As people have said Daniher is such a risk he probably isn't even worth a first round pick, let alone two.
    I wouldn't take it too literally. 9 could be turned into, for example a lower pick and a player from someone else, lower pick to Essendon etc. Bombers will not be given 5 and 9, straight for Danniher. Fantasy. Lots to unfold here still I think.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I haven't crossed-checked which posters have made which comments, but in the last few days there have been comments asking "where's our Henderson", or similar.

Henderson was the ultimate in fringe player when he joined the Hawks but has carved out a very valuable role for himself in the Hawthorn team. Similarly Matt de Boer at the Giants.

McGlynn was a fringe player when he joined us. Arguably so was Joey Kennedy. And Rhyce Shaw was unwanted by Collingwood. We paid very little for them, but all were valuable acquisitions (mega understatement for Kennedy). Sure, the three we picked up last year (and paid very little for) didn't set the world on fire, for a variety of reasons. Clarke, in particular, still played some decent football at times.

The reality is teams get injuries so can't rely on simply a best 22. But the salary cap doesn't permit you to have 30 or so strong players. Or if you do, you have to sacrifice on your absolute top line talent. You need guys who can play a role, and whose noses won't get out of joint if they have to play a bit of NEAFL. Look at the Richmond team. It's full of players with limitations and flaws, but they play for each other, play in a consistent style and at consistent effort levels, and complement the four or five A+ graders and handful of B graders (or A- graders) that the Tigers also have on their list.

I don't think we have that many players in this mold at the moment. Rose will almost certainly go. (You clearly didn't spot the tongue in my cheek re my suggestion of him as trade bait). Fox is another. He might go or might stay. Thurgood disappointed this year but he's got one more year (by way of contract) to show he can deliver more or he'll be out of the door. Menzel is probably in a similar situation. It's not like we have multiple long-term list cloggers. Get them in, see what they have to offer, and then move them on if necessary.

Below our best 22 we have a decent raft of players who still too early in their development to really be list cloggers (or fringe players). Some of these may just have one more year to show they can step up. Some won't be able to step up. Hopefully they - and I mean the likes of Stoddart, Bell, Ling, McInerney, Foot - will get some opportunities at senior level in the next season. But injuries in 2019 meant we fielded one of, if not the, youngest 22 for around half the season. Too many immature bodies makes it hard for the team to sustain the effort over four quarters. And in a lot of the games we lost, it was one poor quarter that cost us the game. To take the next step, the team needs to become a little physically harder and attain greater consistency over the course of a game. To do that, a couple more mid 20s players, who don't cost a huge amount trade-wise, or cap-wise, can't be a bad thing. And who knows, we might uncover one who becomes "our Henderson" or our "de Boer" (or even, dare I say it, "our Nick Newman").

Having said all of that, I'm not personally a fan of Lewis Taylor. To me he's a player that buzzes around and gets a lot of the ball but without much purpose. Even at NEAFL level, he didn't really stand out to me this year as a player of purpose and thrust.
    I was one of those posters Liz and agree with you 100%.
    Respectfully disagree on Squizzy. When the Lions were shire, he was one of the few guys in their forward line who could hurt you. No better sight at the Gabba than Squizzy bursting off half forward and kicking a cracking goal.

Plus he's a really great guy, excellent with the kids. A real favourite, prior to Charlie arriving. He would happily sign autographs and chat with the kids. He's actually my youngest daughter's favourite player -
    she was so awestruck when she met him that for once in her 7 years, she was speechless - so I guess I am a little bias.

I would be stoked if he came to the Swans.

Veterans List
    My stomach is all churned up after reading that Daniher trade article.

I'm thinking it is so lopsided and so fyull of big risk for us that it just has to be a click bait article. Surely Harley and co are not that utterly stupid???

Could they?

Just a quick reminder for everyone that “journalists” get paid by the click on their articles. So the more clicks the more they get paid.

An article that favours two large clubs from Melbourne will draw a lot more clicks for his article. More money for him that’s all it is. It’s why the quality of journalism these days is at an all time low.

Don’t get sucked in by these “journalists”.