Page 32 of 521 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Might be a better option than Dunkley at the mid season draft: Who wants a lightning-quick 200cm key defender? - AFL.com.au
    Given how thin our defensive stocks are at the moment, my preference would be for Kelly over Dunkley

Veterans List
    Given we're going to get a very high pick in the Mid Season draft, maybe even pick one, we're certain to participate you'd reckon. The chance to snare a late developer for free can't be overlooked given there's some promising talent available.

From memory Jye Bolton was one of the better options? Or is that just looking short term? When is

- - - Updated - - -

mid season draft? When is the cut-off for deciding who gets which pick? Does anybody know? I wouldn't be surprised if they go for someone we haven't thought of yet and take a longer term view. Great opportunity to cash in on our lowly ladder status!

Another Tim Kelly would be good

Veterans List
    I read in the Age that we enquired whether there is father/son priority in the mid season draft and the AFL said no. So I assume we are looking at Dunkley.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I read in the Age that we enquired whether there is father/son priority in the mid season draft and the AFL said no. So I assume we are looking at Dunkley.
    If we're sitting bottom of the ladder it doesn't much matter if we have priority access to him or not (assuming the club is considering him).

Q1: Does Kyle Dunkley has the option to bypass the mid year draft & only nominate for the National Draft (again) where we have another chance to secure him as a F/S?

Q2: By not allowing F/S to nominate their respective club in the mid year draft, won't this tempt clubs out of finals contention (like us) to tank (temporarily)?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Q1: Does Kyle Dunkley has the option to bypass the mid year draft & only nominate for the National Draft (again) where we have another chance to secure him as a F/S?

Q2: By not allowing F/S to nominate their respective club in the mid year draft, won't this tempt clubs out of finals contention (like us) to tank (temporarily)?
    Q3: Why would the Swans go after Kyle Dunkley in the first place?

Veterans List
    Players had to nominate themselves for the draft so Dunkley wants the chance to get picked mid season.

Draft order is reverse ladder position after R10 and think the draft is on Monday 27th May.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Players had to nominate themselves for the draft so Dunkley wants the chance to get picked mid season.

Draft order is reverse ladder position after R10 and think the draft is on Monday 27th May.
    The club had him up for a week or so to participate in pre-season training I believe, but then elected not to take him. Even if he has a preference for playing for the club, he would be daft to pass up the opportunity to be drafted now in a hope that the Swans might take him at the next draft (under the FS rules, which I think extend to U19s). Anything can happen between now and then, including the Swans not then electing to draft him.

I don't think he's exactly what we need to spark some life into our list right now, but he has apparently had a pretty good start to the season. And I doubt that anyone available in this mid-season draft is likely to make much of a difference (unless there really is another Tim Kelly lurking out there somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The club had him up for a week or so to participate in pre-season training I believe, but then elected not to take him. Even if he has a preference for playing for the club, he would be daft to pass up the opportunity to be drafted now in a hope that the Swans might take him at the next draft (under the FS rules, which I think extend to U19s). Anything can happen between now and then, including the Swans not then electing to draft him.

I don't think he's exactly what we need to spark some life into our list right now, but he has apparently had a pretty good start to the season. And I doubt that anyone available in this mid-season draft is likely to make much of a difference (unless there really is another Tim Kelly lurking out there somewhere).
    I was having a little look at a list some of the top mid season draft prospects , and while stats as we know don’t tell the whole story , there wasn’t anything awe inspiring in that list . I think anyone would be doing extremely well if they were to find some gold in this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    Kyle Dunkley and Adam Tipungwati are the two undertaking medicals who each played one NEAFL game for the Swans last year. With Tippett retired, Naismith permanently injured and Cameron out of favour our greatest need might be for a monster tap ruckman. I am not sure how Jack Blair is going in the SANFL and don't know about his general skills but he did have a great day out in the NEAFL last year. Otherwise the offerings in the draft are a bit meh. A number of ex Swans there but I don't see us taking any of them.