Page 449 of 521 FirstFirst ... 349399439445446447448449450451452453459499 ... LastLast
Results 5,377 to 5,388 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Daniher says he was interested to come to Sydney to get a fresh start after his injury history with his groin more so than to escape any fishbowl existence in Melbourne: Joe speaks: Find out why Daniher requested a trade to Sydney - AFL.com.au. Don't know what this means in terms of maybe getting him next year.
    This is quite different to Damian Barrett's version of events: BARRETT: The inside story of the Daniher debacle - AFL.com.au

"Daniher found himself out the front of the Balmain home of Sydney chief executive Tom Harley on July 25, largely due to a deep loathing of the constant public intrusion and interest in his private life in Melbourne. Sydney – the city and the club – was his path to enlivening a once free but clearly shackled spirit. The monotony of two seasons of injury rehabilitation sessions at the Bombers had understandably further eroded his zest, leaving him feeling isolated from club pursuits and with little purpose..."

Has Papley spoken to the press since his failed trade request?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    .....or he was bullsh**ing to make his return to the Bombers less stressful. Injury seems to me to be a pretty lame reason for wanting a change of club.....unless he blames bad injury management at Essendon for his groin predicament.
    Didn't he say that injury management was NOT the issue at the time? I'm sure he has a spin doctor working on his public statements
    Last edited by liz; 21st November 2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Please don't post extensively from articles on other sites. Provide a short extract - paragraph - and then a link

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    .....or he was bullsh**ing to make his return to the Bombers less stressful. Injury seems to me to be a pretty lame reason for wanting a change of club.....unless he blames bad injury management at Essendon for his groin predicament.
    Yes, either he's saying that there's something wrong with Essendon's medical staff, or he's just crapping on.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, either he's saying that there's something wrong with Essendon's medical staff, or he's just crapping on.
    In the Age version of the Daniher interview, JD is taking a lot of the responsibility. Feels like he's singing from a prepared songsheet: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p53cmu.html
    Last edited by liz; 21st November 2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Please don't post extensively from articles on other sites. Provide a short extract - paragraph - and then a link

Just watched an interview with Sam Flanders. He describes himself as "playing on the edge" and admires Toby Greene and Petracca. His highlights package shows he can extract the ball, maybe not too slick in the disposal but what is impressive is his ability to float forward and take a mark. Doesn't look like he has next level speed. Wonder if he's too similar to Dawson, Mills and Hewett? Still favouring Ash.

Just love how somone has to explain why they want to leave an establishment club as if it was some mortal sin but players heading back to melbourne simply trott out the "go home" factor and its accepted without a whimper.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Are we really that slow ? And just wondered how much value we should place on the opinion of some one who coached us to 18 straight losses before we sacked him and had a total winning percentage of around 12%. Yes I know we didn’t have a great list at the time but even the Suns boast an overall winning percentage of twice that
    We seem regularly to shed players with pace—Jetta and Rohan come to mind. We have struggled to find positions for those players, and it has been interesting to see Jetta settle at HB and Rowan as deep forward for their new clubs.

ones is quick, and was fun to watch breaking lines from HB, albeit exasperating. I'm not convinced that he did what we needed in terms of an explosive clearance player in the midfield, and think that we looked better when Rowbottom came into the team: good hands and a handy kick are as useful as sheer pace in making fast play (cf Tom Mitchell).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    In the Age version of the Daniher interview, JD is taking a lot of the responsibility. Feels like he's singing from a prepared songsheet: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p53cmu.html

The whole thing is like watching dueling spin doctors.
    Last edited by liz; 21st November 2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Edited quoted text

Yes, interesting difference in what quotes were used in the two articles. The Age article definitely has more emphasis on Daniher taking personal responsibility, for some of the counterproductive decision making during his rehab. Although neither report questions, why he thought that a move to Sydney would improve his decision making, or his injury management.

Also, the fact that he's now stopped running, after not being able to cope with the increased load, strengthens my opinion, that we may have dodged a bullet when they move fell through.
    Last edited by liz; 21st November 2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Edited quoted text

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Just watched an interview with Sam Flanders. He describes himself as "playing on the edge" and admires Toby Greene and Petracca. His highlights package shows he can extract the ball, maybe not too slick in the disposal but what is impressive is his ability to float forward and take a mark. Doesn't look like he has next level speed. Wonder if he's too similar to Dawson, Mills and Hewett? Still favouring Ash.
    Admiration of Toby Greene is a bit of a negative for me.

Admiration of Toby Greene is a bit of a negative for me.
    If he is as good as Toby and we get him, I could live with it...............

Yes, interesting difference in what quotes were used in the two articles. The Age article definitely has more emphasis on Daniher taking personal responsibility, for some of the counterproductive decision making during his rehab. Although neither report questions, why he thought that a move to Sydney would improve his decision making, or his injury management.

Also, the fact that he's now stopped running, after not being able to cope with the increased load, strengthens my opinion, that we may have dodged a bullet when they move fell through.
    He is asked that during the interview and says the “fresh start” was about freshening up his mind, which would help his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    If he is as good as Toby and we get him, I could live with it...............
    Yes, but if you had two players of equal ability, but one was a Toby admirer, while the other thought that Toby's constant tribunal appearances were a problem; then which one should we choose?

He is asked that during the interview and says the “fresh start” was about freshening up his mind, which would help his body.
    To me, "fresh start" isn't a particularly convincing reason. If he said something along the lines of, the pressure in Melbourne is too much, or I would prefer to be somewhere where I'm not constantly recognised, or I've heard that the Swans have a great rehab system, or I want to be part of the Swans culture, or even, my girlfriend wants me to move to Sydney; then I would consider these to be actual reasons (to varying degrees). Whereas a fresh start, is more a verbal shrug of the shoulders, or something that somebody says, when they don't want to discuss their genuine motivations.